The Education Forum

Beto's Bobby Vibe

Nice one Steve.

One of the things JFK used to do to defuse the issue was say, "Alright, go convince MacArthur that we should send in ground troops."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beto could possibly win the Democratic nomination hands down, if he would just do it. (Keep his hands down.)

This guy was a councilman in El Paso for six years.  He then became a congressman for six years.

Can anyone point to a good speech he gave on a salient issue during that time?  In either place.

Love to read it.

I think Beto has excellent political instincts, I think with a little public speaking coaching, he can get rid of that flailing.(Though it does make me want to extend my hand to him.) I think he handled that Colin Kaepernick question as well as any politician could..  My problem with Beto is that he's a moderate over there with Joe Biden. While I do think this beltway acclaimed Biden/Beto is a sure moderate winner. I've become acclimated to extreme abnormalcy and  don't want to go back to normalcy at any cost. I want the Democrats to seize the pendulum, and actually become policy oriented. Beto comes off good in social issues, let's see it extend to policy and hope he branches out a bit. .

As for Old Joe, I think I've got the direction he's planning to take. He's going to be the septuagenarian who actually acts his age in distinction to Trump. I'm not young, but his soft spoken fatherly earnestness will even  put me to sleep. 

11 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Beto could possibly win the Democratic nomination hands down, if he would just do it. (Keep his hands down.)

Yep.  He needs to be coached on the hands.  Maybe the delivery some.  But not his enthusiasm on this subject  in this speech.https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=beto&view=detail&mid=A0D44E582CAB6CF1E4FBA0D44E582CAB6CF1E4FB&FORM=VIRE

Read an article earlier about an 18 year old Black college freshman young lady in South Carolina who after listening to him said he reminded her of Bobby Kennedy.

Where did she get that thought from?  At her age?  Mom, Dad?  Grandpaw, Grandmaw?  A history/political sci major that's watched you tube videos? 

Went to his website out of curiosity.  Surprised to find three watching parties of his official announcement this Saturday in the small (20,000) red Texas town I live outside of.

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Read an article earlier about an 18 year old Black college freshman young lady in South Carolina who after listening to him said he reminded her of Bobby Kennedy.

Where did she get that thought from?  At her age?  Mom, Dad?  Grandpaw, Grandmaw?  A history/political sci major that's watched you tube videos? 

Went to his website out of curiosity.  Surprised to find three watching parties of his official announcement this Saturday in the small (20,000) red Texas town I live outside of.

If you put a gun to my head and insisted I pick the next President -- I'd say Bernie Sanders.

If you put a gun to my head and demanded I pick the next Dem nominee to run against Trump -- I'd say Beto.  He's the best shot to beat Trump.

• 2 weeks later...

My crystal ball told me Texas Tech would beat Virginia in the NCAA men's basketball championship so I figured it needed a tune-up and when I got it back it said the next President is gonna be Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

Mayor Pete comes off as more of a fully grown adult than Beto.

Since this thread seems to cover predictions and opinions about the Dem and 2020, a few thoughts, always imho:

"Beto" couldn't beat Ted Cruz in their home State. JFK beat a Lodge in Massachusetts and RFK beat incumbent Keating in NY.  Don't see it.

"AOC" is charming in her own way; but way, way under-prepared for the national stage; Warren would be mocked as a Cherokee like Dukakis was mocked with a helmet in a tank .

"Mayor Pete" is a narcissist of the first rank, totally under-prepared for a national stage, and will play up to the 'progressives" while shilling for the oligarchs. Like with Dershowitz, you think after awhile that his middle name is "Harvard." He  also shouldn't be considered a "hero" to the gay community (even if he has the imprimatur of "Ellen")because when he first ran for mayor, he stayed in the closet. Since  Dem incumbents are routinely re-elected, he then "came out" and "won" by getting 11% of the eligible voters since so many stayed home.

"Booker" has been ambitious since his days at Stanford but what is his goal other than the top spot? He literally licked the boots of the AIPAC crowd, and how a man of color who might be talking reparations for slavery can ignore the issue of Palestinian suffering eludes me. NY's Gillibrand should have spoken up for women issues when the Clinton's made a mockery of them, but they were in the catbird seat then so she kept her mouth shut.

I think Tulsi Gabbard is the most articulate, principled and intelligent person among the Dems, and is matched by Sanders - who although I think has had his day - could head a good ticket to articulate issues of concern to working class (who the Dems used to represent) with the idea he'd serve a term and then pass the baton to the Major who made it on her own--not like Kamala Harris hooking up with Willie Brown to give her a leg up, like that other "feminist" Hillary who wouldn't have been able to win an election on her own - no Bill in other words - anywhere in the country.

fwiw as they say

Edited by Robert Harper

"Mayor Pete" is a narcissist of the first rank,

In the age of Trump that assertion is maybe a bit of an over-statement.

Did Buttigieg name a street after himself, or what?

totally under-prepared for a national stage,

Dubya Bush served 6 years as governor of Texas, where the chief executive is "weak" in comparison to the Legislature.

Obama was in the Senate for 4 years.

Trump is...Trump.

There's always on-the-job training in the White House and the question is how quick a study is the new Prez.

Possessing native intelligence is a plus.

and will play up to the 'progressives" while shilling for the oligarchs.

He isn't taking corporate PAC money.  Like most of the other Dem candidates all his dough is from the grassroots, which spells a better chance of the grass roots influencing policy.

No matter who wins, change only comes from the bottom up. 

When Republicans take the White House they have to play up to their theocratic base while shilling for oligarchs.  When the GOP theocratic base holds their leaders' feet to the fire they sometimes get policies they want. 

Same deal with the Dems -- enough grassroots pressure makes Dem politicians do the right thing.

Any Dem President who wants to get re-elected in this day and age better keep his base somewhat happy.

Like with Dershowitz, you think after awhile that his middle name is "Harvard." 

After a while of...what?  Could you post a youtube of him going on and on about Harvard?

He  also shouldn't be considered a "hero" to the gay community (even if he has the imprimatur of "Ellen")because when he first ran for mayor, he stayed in the closet. Since  Dem incumbents are routinely re-elected, he then "came out" and "won" by getting 11% of the eligible voters since so many stayed home.

The USA doesn't need heroes we need intelligent politicians committed to good government.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

• 4 months later...