The Education Forum

The Minox Camera

I could have sworn I once saw a picture of the MInox in the DPD prop room laying on the floor up against the wall.  I think something was on top of it.

I thought it was on this site.

Does anyone  recall that picture?  If you do, can you retrieve it?

This is from the McAdams site.  It could be what you are recalling.  It is Oswald evidence without the minox camera only the light meter for the camera.

light-meter-oswald-mcadams.jpg

This is the difference between the light meter and camera.  I don't see the camera is this evidence layout.

oswald-minox-light-meter-camera.jpg

There should be a camera in the evidence photo. 

oswald-minox-camera-police-list.jpg

If you saw something different then maybe someone will post it.

I had one version of the Minox long ago. (not the spy version).  It was just something I bought in a Korean "kimchi shop".  Obviously it was stolen from someone in the military.  Someone stole it from me and that broke my heart.  It was a great camera in a small package.

Edited by John Butler

As you know, John did a lot of work related to the DPD/FBI inventories to determine which of the 455 items numbered were part of the 250 or so items taken Friday night by SA Drain.

John also told us about the cement filled Minox at the Archives...

As I try to show below, Hill did not amend 11192-G related to the Minox camera... and in numerous places, copied and repeated numerous times is reference to a MINOX CAMERA and related film and exposed images....  the FBI realized he shouldn't have a Minx camera with a seriel # signifying it was not sold to the public

The image at the bottom of this post shows some of the first photos Oswald took from Hawaii in August 1957. 

A Minox standard size image is 3.25" x 2.25"...  https://www.bluemooncamera.com/Minox_Frequently_Asked_Questions.php 
That length/width ratio is 1.44.
The P3 image is measured in Photoshop with a L/W ratio of 1.48....

It appears as if LEE had a Minox very early which had to be given to Harvey to substantiate his journey thru the Marines which the FBI created....

Does it make much sense that Oswald would leave this "spy camera" at the Paine's?   

btw - there was never mention of a Minox camera CASE

Minox%20camera%20evidence_zps0gjl7unn.jp

Maybe I am looking at the wrong inv page... is there a newer one than this as there is Hill's name and the Minox listed as #375 with 7 other items.

1586-001.gif

img_1133_27_200.jpg 

Yes David that lists the camera.

But I distinctly recall seeing the actual camera lying on the floor but not within a spread out display of the evidence.

It was laying against the wall horizontally.

I could have sworn someone here captured it, maybe Ray M?

Edited by James DiEugenio

FYI Malcolm Blunt once told me that the Minox camera at the National Archives is 'glued shut', whatever they did it with it is impossible to open the back of it.

8 minutes ago, Bart Kamp said:

FYI Malcolm Blunt once told me that the Minox camera at the National Archives is 'glued shut', whatever they did it with it is impossible to open the back of it.

John also said it was much heavier than it should have been... like it was filled with cement

I don't know whether this has any relevance for the topic.  If my memory serves me right the Minox I had was different that the one in  the photo.

oswald-minox-light-meter-camera.jpg

When it was sold to me in 1967 I was told it was a Minox spy camera.  I assumed that was just a sales pitch.  It was completely featureless.  Just an aluminum case was all that was there.  No names or numbers.  The camera case slid to the side and a lens was exposed similar to the one shown in the photo.  There were no names or numbers once the case was slid open. I don't remember seeing any in loading the film.  The case slid open in order to "arm" the camera and take a photo.  Once closed or when it opened it advanced the film frame.