The Education Forum

The McCone Memo

Tim Gratz

I assume almost every one of the members is familiar with the "McCone memo" that recently surfaced, but I have not seen it discussed here and would be interested in opinions re: 1) if it is genuine or not; and 2) if genuine, what is its significance?

Link didn't seem to work. You can get it if you go to Page 2 of the Seminar: Familiar Faces in Dealey Plaza" and click on the link there. Sorry. (A good memo by Walt Brown.)

Edited by Tim Gratz

http://jfkmurdersolved.com/images/OswaldCIA.jpg

Personally, I think the chance that the document is a hoax is pretty good.

Wim

I agree with Wim. Here are the documents:

The reference to Oswald's case officer being SAIC Banister, from Chicago, is strange language to describe the events in New Orleans.

As for the reliability of incriminating documenation generally, while discussing ZR/RIFLE [Executive Action] in handwritten notes, William Harvey wrote: "Cover: planning should include provision for blaming Sovs or Czechs in case of blow.... Should have phony 201 in LRG [Central Registry] to backstop this, documents therein forged and backdated"*

Tim

*Anthony Summers, Not In Your Lifetime, (first published as Conspiracy by McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1980), 111.

Edited by Tim Carroll

The document is a fake. Here it is below without the yellow highlights and the confidential stamp.

James

I trust the judgment of Mr. Carroll and Mr. Richards re the document. Does anyone have any idea why anyone would go to so much trouble (and who for that matter)?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I trust the judgment of Mr. Carroll and Mr. Richards re the document.  Does anyone have any idea why anyone would go to so much trouble (and who for that matter)?

As for the reliability of incriminating documenation generally, while discussing ZR/RIFLE [Executive Action] in handwritten notes, William Harvey wrote: "Cover: planning should include provision for blaming Sovs or Czechs in case of blow.... Should have phony 201 in LRG [Central Registry] to backstop this, documents therein forged and backdated"*

Tim

*Anthony Summers, Not In Your Lifetime, (first published as Conspiracy by McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1980), 111.

I assume almost every one of the members is familiar with the "McCone memo" that recently surfaced, but I have not seen it discussed here and would be interested in opinions re: 1) if it is genuine or not; and 2) if genuine, what is its significance?

Actually there was a fairly long thread on this forum fairly recently on this document. I believe it is a hoax.

http://www/manuscriptservice.com/dpq/mccone.html[/url]

Link didn't seem to work. You can get it if you go to Page 2 of the Seminar: Familiar Faces in Dealey Plaza" and click on the link there. Sorry.  (A good memo by Walt Brown.)

• 9 months later...
Since the McCone-Rowley memo seems to keep popping up I have begun to put all the information I have about it on the web at mccone-rowley.blogspot.com It is still a work in progress.

Thanks for all your work on this, Gary. Do you think Moore faked it? If so, outside his one article, how come he never tried to capitalize on it? It would seem to me that faking such a document would be fairly difficult and not something someone would do for a temporary kick.

Since the McCone-Rowley memo seems to keep popping up I have begun to put all the information I have about it on the web at mccone-rowley.blogspot.com It is still a work in progress.

Thanks for all your work on this, Gary. Do you think Moore faked it? If so, outside his one article, how come he never tried to capitalize on it? It would seem to me that faking such a document would be fairly difficult and not something someone would do for a temporary kick.

That is a very good question. Applying Occam's razor the simplest explanation that fits all the facts is that Moore faked it. I have looked into a number of his claims and many of them are true or have an element of truth, however some are not. For example, he is not the author of the Skeleton Key, although he may have submitted it to Hustler as his own, and there apparently was a short-lived court case.

Moore quoted from this document in articles in Modern People decades ago. I will post these articles at some pointl Why go to the trouble of faking a document and then sitting on it all this time? An editor at the New York Times might demand to see the document but Modern People? I don't know. Moore seems to be part conman but also part true-believer, still looking for the "smoking gun." He still maintains that he received the document from an FBI guy in Tennessee.

I have spoke to Moore several times although not recently. He is a nice enough guy and I have come to consider him a friend.

This memo reminds me of a credible sighting of a UFO. Everybody knows it's probably fake but it would be so cool if it wasn't. Does anyone have any idea of the whereabouts of the orginal document? When did it first surface? Can it be subjected to examination? I first encountered this document about a year ago on a chance Google news search of LHO. Why search Google for current news about LHO, you ask? Gotta fill those empty hours somehow, I guess. Anyway, it was covered by the "Virginia Gazette" a small newspaper based in Williamsburg, Virginia, and somehow made it to Google. The item remained on Google for about 3 weeks from when I first came across it after which time it was taken off by the paper itself. I don't mean that there was anything sinister in it's removal, just routine. No other media picked up the story, which I thought at the time was only somewhat unusual. I mean, you'd think, having made it to Google that another news service, maybe from a country with an ax to grind against the US, would have picked it up. Whatever. I thought to myself that perhaps this was being disseminated by the CIA itself or perhaps a disgruntled former employee (there are a lot of them around these days, you know). If it's not a fake I think it most likely a CIA release, maybe disinformation, maybe something else. It could be authentic and released by the CIA. You never know what those guys are up to and why. But for my money the disgruntled former employee is the most interesting. I wonder if the newspaper in question is somehow connected to CIA. A small paper based in Virginia. Hmm...maybe I am too suspicious. What I want to know is exactly when it was first released. I'd like to see if there was a purge in the CIA just preceding its release. Ahh, the universe would be a much more interesting place if UFO's existed and if memo was real.

Gary, has Moore ever mentioned the name of the FBI agent? What year was Moore's first article written? Is it possible this was a KGB creation from the same period as the "Hunt" memo?

Link didn't seem to work. You can get it if you go to Page 2 of the Seminar: Familiar Faces in Dealey Plaza" and click on the link there. Sorry.  (A good memo by Walt Brown.)

The document is clearly fake. Discussing who planted it seems like a waste of time. It wasn't the CIA.