The Education Forum

Earlene Roberts WC Testimony Amazing To Me Yet Disturbingly Ignored.

Joe Bauer

2 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

= thread nosedive.  Hijacked.  Derailed. Crashed. Burned.  Does anybody really read long diatribes on here?  

Thank you, Ron.  You always make such intelligent and insightful comments.  I'll let Don decide whether I did or did not respond directly to the questions he posed to me, but I feel sure he'll agree with your careful analysis of my "diatribe."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to thank me for this, my conspiracy brethren:  What sort of car has an identifying number, may resemble a police car, and commonly pulls up in front of a residence and unobtrusively goes beep-beep before moving on shortly thereafter?  That's right, a taxi!

In 1963, the Johnson Rooming House had 18 rented rooms, more than you may have supposed.  Here is the application for it to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, which is a fascinating document with lots of history and photos:  https://dallascityhall.com/departments/sustainabledevelopment/historicpreservation/HP Documents/Resources Page/Johnson Rooming House National Register Report.pdf.  Immediately to the north was an even larger rooming house.

Here is what at least one Dallas cab company's cars looked like in 1963.  Indeed, this is the very Checker taxi in which Oswald rode.  It is number 36, but the point is that it has a prominent number and is not so dissimilar to Tippit's police car that it might not have been mistaken for a police car by a one-eyed woman taking a quick look through the gauzy curtains of Johnson Rooming House while distracted by news of a Presidential assassination on TV:

What I am suggesting is that someone at the Johnson Rooming House or the immediately adjacent one may have summoned a cab and been waiting for its arrival.  The driver politely beep-beeped, the individual promptly entered, and the cab moved on.  Earlene either honestly misinterpreted this or it became a police car in her later muddled/enhanced recollection of the event.

In one swell foop, it seems to me, I have provided an entirely plausible alternative explanation for Earlene's report and largely rehabilitated her reputation, which has been so unfairly sullied on this thread.

Edited by Guest

Lance, I must admit, that is a very interesting take on a possible alternative scenario of a car pulling up to the front of ER's rooming house and honking lightly twice.

I didn't know that Dallas taxis in 1963 resembled police cars ( especially in their basic color black ) as much as your photo shows.

My contrary thoughts though, would include ER's statement of seeing two uniformed police in the car she looked at, the short time the car stayed ( a cab driver responding to a call wouldn't leave so quickly imo, ) and ER knew police cars well enough to notice the difference between a typical accident responding patrol squad car and a more nondescript one. 

And the taxi in your photo is way more number, ad icon pictures and words and top of car adorned than Tippit's squad patrol car!

Check out the pics of Tippit's patrol car to see this stark difference.

The taxi in your photo even has that noticeable "checkered" paint job on it's top.

This is my last posting here on the forum.

Lance, I couldn't help contemplating your proposed possible alternate Dallas Taxi cab versus DPD police car scenario regards Earline Robert's story of a police car pulling up in front of her rooming house and honking twice and then slowly pulling away around 1:PM on 11,22,1963 ... all while Lee Harvey Oswald was just 40 feet away.

After seeing the photo of a Dallas cab in 1963, I had to admit there are some real similarities that from a distance or quick glance versus a longer look, could lead to someone mixing up the two vehicles.

After giving this misidentification theory some serious thought however, I believe it is not valid.

When Mrs. Robert's story of the police car pulIing up and honking while Oswald was in his room was shared with the authorities, it's implications would have been immediately clear and of the utmost concern.  Our own cops did that?

I have to believe that someone in the DPD or local FBI took this claim seriously enough to investigate it more than just a loony made up story.  And this taxi versus police car scenario would probably have been thought of by them as it was with you.

Yet all the DPD and FBI had to do to verify such a misidentification mix up would be to call the Dallas Taxi companies and ask to see their call records. And they could also have interviewed every cab driver on duty that day to see which one got a call to Earlene Robert's rooming house.

Also, they could have interviewed every resident of the rooming house to see which one called for a cab at that time.

Both agencies would have LOVED to have discovered that a Dallas cab was indeed the car that Earlene Robert's claims she saw pull up to her residence that day and at that time versus a DPD car.

Take care...I'll be checking in to "read" the forum postings...just not posting myself.

Edited by Joe Bauer

15 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

I have to believe that someone in the DPD or local FBI took this claim seriously enough to investigate it more than just a loony made up story.  And this taxi versus police car scenario would probably have been thought of by them as it was with you.

I hope you mean it's your last post on this thread rather than your last post on the forum.  I've theoretically made my "last post" about five times, but then I run into something like a ten-day bout of the flu and post 80 times in six days because I have nothing else to do!

Obvious as it now seems, the taxi scenario didn't occur to me until a few minutes before I posted it.  Earlene first said car number 207, and the DPD went through a lot of effort to identify the whereabouts of 207.  Once they had determined it wasn't 207, I don't think it follows at all that they would have gone the additional step of asking "Well, what might she be talking about?  How can we help her out here?"  She then shifted to 106 or 107, and the DPD (at the request of the FBI) undertook an extraordinary effort to identify the whereabouts of all the cars, patrol and traffic, on that day.

In the midst of the kind of workload and time pressure associated with the assassination, I can understand why the DPD and FBI weren't interested in doing anything more than establishing that Earlene didn't see a police car.  If she saw a taxi, I don't think they cared.  Quickly establishing that it was a taxi would have quickly settled the matter, of course, but this is the sort of "Monday morning quarterbacking" we all tend to do.  If we'd been there, we're confident, every last detail would have been nailed down in a way that left no room for future controversies.

10 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

RW: more on that later.

After seeing the photo of a Dallas cab in 1963, I had to admit there are some real similarities that from a distance or quick glance versus a longer look, could lead to someone mixing up the two vehicles.  RW: NO. There is absolutely no way anyone could mix up those two vehicles.  Lance's "find" is the Cadillac, literally, of AIRPORT taxis.  It was what a Clint Murkison, or an H L Hunt, or a Sid Richardson would take home to his mansion from the AIRPORT.  It's laughable that that LIMOUSINE would be SEEN in Oak Cliff, let alone looking for a fare there, or dropping a fare there in front of Ozzie's dump where EIGHTEEN boarders were crammed.  Ozzie took a drab old beater home, an old Ford or a mid-life Dodge (I don't know), as was every cab in Oak Cliff.  Not on that day or any other day in the history of Oak Cliff did a Checker limo pull up to a boarding house and go "tit-tit" sneaky like.  And that Checker is the only cab in Dallas that has some color in the ballpark of a DPD black-and-white.  And what's more, Lance, don't you think Earlene would have seen the big taxi light on the roof of that thing?  This is beyond laughable.

When Mrs. Robert's story of the police car pulIing up and honking while Oswald was in his room was shared with the authorities, it's implications would have been immediately clear and of the utmost concern.  Our own cops did that?  RW: You would think, but let's not go there.  Bigger fish to fry.

Yet all the DPD and FBI had to do to verify such a misidentification mix up would be to call the Dallas Taxi companies and ask to see their call records. And they could also have interviewed every cab driver on duty that day to see which one got a call to Earlene Robert's rooming house.  RW: Again, don't go there, Joe.  DPD couldn't find their own *ss with both hands, and you think they're gonna interview...who?  what?  I'm just deleting the same about the residents of the rooming house.

Take care...I'll be checking in to "read" the forum postings...just not posting myself.

RW: Joe Bauer, I'm begging you, pick your battles, or whatever it takes, but don't give in.  I feel a kinship with you and Ron Bulman because we're around the same age, born in the fifties.  You're a little older and Ron's a little younger.  I also feel a kinship with Micah Mileto, though I think he's a good bit younger.  JB,RB, RW came up during the last time that father figures, older male family, were allowed to mistreat, mentally and physically, the boys in their charge.  We are the last of the Boomers whom the Silent (Sneering/Smirking) Generation and the Greatest (Greediest) Generation got away with trying to enslave us.  Vis a vis Monsieur Payette, you should know how they operate.  Distractions, idiotic appeal to bogus authority (which is essentially "cuz I say so, baw!"), and let's leave it there.  This is a PG site.

Joe, if you really do quit adding your valuable everything,  I will make the saltiest musings of, say, a Cliff Varnell or a David Healy or a Jim DiEugenio look like the syrupy sweetness of, say, a Mary Poppins or a Pat Boone by comparison to the salt I'll be spreadin.

Oh by the way, Lance, Earlene Roberts was the salt of the earth.  Maybe you've never known someone like her.  Wasn't born with a silver spoon, and made a big contribution her whole life.  Or do you want to run down housekeepers in general some more?

Because she didn't have great vision, you bet she could hear like a bat.  That "tit-tit" you can take to the bank.  A mockingbird or a tape recorder could not reproduce that sound more accurately.

Lance, you trying to muddy the waters about the number of the POLICE CAR won't wash.  She said 107 at first but they just kept messing with her because they thought they were better than her.  Tippit's car was number 10, so her reporting it as 107, and later AS #TEN corroborates two things: that her eyesight was plenty good enough to know a police car when she saw one (they were one of her daily highlights!), and it was good enough to see that there was more than one police in it.  Maybe just another shirt.  But I believe that at some point old JD had another officer and a hanging shirt.

Jeez, Joe, I see what you mean.  It's like talking to a brick wall.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist
errors

8 hours ago, Roy Wieselquist said:

Lance's "find" is the Cadillac, literally, of AIRPORT taxis.  It was what a Clint Murkison, or an H L Hunt, or a Sid Richardson would take home to his mansion from the AIRPORT.  It's laughable that that LIMOUSINE would be SEEN in Oak Cliff, let alone looking for a fare there, or dropping a fare there in front of Ozzie's dump where EIGHTEEN boarders were crammed.

Earth to Roy, earth to Roy:  Come back to us, big fella.  See the photos behind the taxi, Roy?  They are Whaley and Oswald.  Ya know why?  Because:

THAT IS THE VERY TAXI IN WHICH OSWALD RODE.

It sold at auction in 2010 for $35,750:  https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/oswalds-getaway-cab-sold-for-35750/

Now quite probably in the alternate universe where there were at least nine shots in Dealey Plaza, the taxi was a vivid pink with a green neon sign saying Checker Patsy Cab, but here in the real world:

THAT IS THE VERY TAXI IN WHICH OSWALD RODE.

The very fact that this clearly troubles you makes my point.

Folks like you are forcing me to change my modest slogan from "not a serious JFK researcher" to:

WELL, YA, A FAIRLY SERIOUS JFK RESEARCHER IN COMPARISON TO THE GOOFBALLS HERE.

No, that's not very good either.  Consider it a filler until the Lone Nut PR Agency supplies me with something better.

43 minutes ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Lance you seem to have missed an important word on the site you quote.

"The Checker is believed to be the car in which Mr. Oswald briefly rode while making his getaway following the shooting of President Kennedy in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963."

DVP has additional photos on his site.  No one would be paying $35,750 for a taxi that didn't have a pretty solid provenance and wasn't identical to the one in which Oswald rode.  A Dallas newspaper article stated that it had been sitting for more than 30 years and was in deplorable condition before being restored.  The salient point is that, contra Roy, sleazy Lone Nutter Lance is not attempting to slip an "airport limo Cadillac" into the discussion.

Joe:

Why are you leaving?

I thought you were one of the better posters here. I do hope you reconsider. 

20 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Lance, I couldn't help contemplating your proposed possible alternate Dallas Taxi cab versus DPD police car scenario regards Earline Robert's story of a police car pulling up in front of her rooming house and honking twice and then slowly pulling away around 1:PM on 11,22,1963 ... all while Lee Harvey Oswald was just 40 feet away.

After seeing the photo of a Dallas cab in 1963, I had to admit there are some real similarities that from a distance or quick glance versus a longer look, could lead to someone mixing up the two vehicles.

After giving this misidentification theory some serious thought however, I believe it is not valid.

When Mrs. Robert's story of the police car pulIing up and honking while Oswald was in his room was shared with the authorities, it's implications would have been immediately clear and of the utmost concern.  Our own cops did that?

Yet all the DPD and FBI had to do to verify such a misidentification mix up would be to call the Dallas Taxi companies and ask to see their call records. And they could also have interviewed every cab driver on duty that day to see which one got a call to Earlene Robert's rooming house.

Also, they could have interviewed every resident of the rooming house to see which one called for a cab at that time.

Both agencies would have LOVED to have discovered that a Dallas cab was indeed the car that Earlene Robert's claims she saw pull up to her residence that day and at that time versus a DPD car.

Quite surprised by how small the numbers were on the sides of the cop cars...jus' sayin'....

3 hours ago, Lance Payette said:

DVP has additional photos on his site.  No one would be paying $35,750 for a taxi that didn't have a pretty solid provenance and wasn't identical to the one in which Oswald rode.  A Dallas newspaper article stated that it had been sitting for more than 30 years and was in deplorable condition before being restored.  The salient point is that, contra Roy, sleazy Lone Nutter Lance is not attempting to slip an "airport limo Cadillac" into the discussion.

Just because somebody paid $35,750 for  taxi, doesn't mean it was kosha.

The (fake)Hitler Diaries were bought for $3.7m.  

14 minutes ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Just because somebody paid $35,750 for  taxi, doesn't mean it was kosha.

The (fake)Hitler Diaries were bought for $3.7m.  

You have given me an opportunity to correct one false impression I may have left.  I am not suggesting that the taxi Earlene Roberts saw was the taxi number 36 in which Whaley had driven Oswald.  I suppose that's possible since Whaley may have been in the immediate vicinity and have been picking up another fare.  Since Earlene said the number was 207 or 106 or 107, I was giving her the benefit of the doubt and suggesting there may have been a taxi with a number of this sort.  I immediately came up with the photo of Whaley's taxi when I was simply wondering "Did any Dallas taxis in 1963 look anything like a black police car?"  I immediately learned "Indeed they did - uncannily so."  So whether the taxi that was sold was the real Oswald taxi is irrelevant.  The salient point is that any garden-variety taxi picking up a garden-variety passenger might have been mistaken in a quick glance for a police car.

Edited by Guest

If someone called a taxi, knowing what Hoover was doing on this case e.g. the Odio incident cover up,  would not the FBI have found them?

Would they not have asked everyone at Beckley, would they not have gone to the cab companies?

Roberts said she saw two cops in the car.  Do cab drivers dress like cops in the city of Dallas?

The idea that somehow the DPD would admit there was a car there, or the cops would come forward, is too ludicrous to contemplate.