The Education Forum

Carmine Savastano on Mike Swanson's show: Richard Case Nagell can be easily disproven.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Malcolm Blunt I can provide these.

There are thousands of pages coming over the course of the year.

The biggest mystery of RCN's life - one that perhaps only Dick Russell, who knew him, can answer authoritatively:

Did he pronounce his name NAY-gel or Nay-GELL?

The spelling in some primary-source documents (Nagel) leaves it open, as if the stenographer heard NAY-gel, and RCN didn't correct it if it was spoken wrong.

Edited by David Andrews

The thing that convinces me that  Nagell knew Oswald before the assassination is the fact that he had a copy of Oswald's Military ID card in his possession before the card had become public.

Unfortunately there is one caveat to this nearly indisputable proof. A photo of Oswald's ID card was actually published in the 1969 book Investigation of a Homicide by Judy Bonner. The only reason Bonner had the photo in her 1969 book is that her primary source was Sgt. Gerry Hill of the Dallas Police Department. And so she had access to things that others did not. Mary Ferrell brought this to Dick Russell's attention when he showed her Nagell's copy.

So either Nagell had the card before the assassination, or he got ahold of Judy Bonner's obscure book some time after it's 1969 publication date, spent a great deal of time modifying it by meticulously erasing numerous circles and other marks and drawing a suit on Oswald's photo, and made sure his modified copy was on file with his lawyer. I think the latter option is preposterous, so I choose to believe the former.

This topic was discussed here:

• 5 months later...

I'm glad Bart bumped this thread, it's made for interesting reading. By coincidence, I picked up the first edition of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" just last week. I had read it many years ago but hadn't added to my library yet. I ordered the second edition right away and should be getting that in a few days.

10 minutes ago, Denny Zartman said:

I'm glad Bart bumped this thread, it's made for interesting reading. By coincidence, I picked up the first edition of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" just last week. I had read it many years ago but hadn't added to my library yet. I ordered the second edition right away and should be getting that in a few days.

You'll find the second edition a much better read.  The unanswered questions though, are who was Oswald and what was his involvement in the assassination?  It would be great if Dick Russell took a stand on those issues.

Thanks for the new docs, Malcolm and Bart.

Edited by David Andrews

12 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

The unanswered questions though, are who was Oswald and what was his involvement in the assassination?  It would be great if Dick Russell took a stand on those issues

But can anyone really answer that question without resorting to speculation?

5 minutes ago, Denny Zartman said:

But can anyone really answer that question without resorting to speculation?

Russell was close to Nagell, but seems to have never asked.  All we know is that Nagell had a tape of Oswald meeting with anti-Castro Cubans and ostensibly discussing the JFKA; the KGB wanted Nagell to kill Oswald; and Nagell wrote about it to Hoover at FBI.  What's missing in the Nagell story is Oswald's purposes, which Nagell seems not to have told Jim Garrison, either.

Edited by David Andrews

The reason Nagell told nothing to Garrison is that he viewed the volunteer investigator sent to him from Garrison to have CIA connections and be a plant .....it was indeed confirmed years later that the fellow did have intel community connections and like many of Garrisons "volunteers" was really there to either spike or divert Garrison.  Negell's caution was correct. As to Oswald's motive, in regard to assassination JFK he had none since that was not part of what he was doing...which was serving voluntarily as a dangle to the the Cuban exiles and other FBI targets.  Its also important to remember that Nagell's 1963 contacts with Oswald were limited and stopped as of New Orleans, therefore it was highly unlikely that he could give more detail than he did - which was to continually warn that Cuban exiles posed a threat to JFK; the threat Nagell knew about was in DC....which is corroborated by Oswald's letters about moving to DC in Sept.