The Education Forum

Lumpkin, Gannaway, and the DPD-Army Intelligence network

2 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

Thanks, Steve.  I don't usually post my research on the Ed Forum until it's vetted - but this material is so spare that this is the best place to vet it!

Do you have any thoughts on the Special Services Bureau's knowledge of Oswald pre-11/22?  Between Jack Revill's role as a Red Squad leader and Gannaway & Revill's relations with law enforcement/intelligence sources throughout Texas, it's hard to believe they didn't know who Oswald was.  When he flew back to Fort Worth, it was in the Washington Post and maybe the local papers as well.

Bill,

During Curry's WC testimony, he was asked three times, by three different Commission members (not the lawyers mind you, but the members themselves), if the Dallas Police had any record of Oswald. Curry unequivocally said no. He stressed "Oswald was not in their files."

The research I have done on the list of TSBD employees that comprise CE 2003 tells me, anyway, that Oswald was not in fact in the DPD's official criminal intelligence list.

Unofficially, they had to have been aware of him. I've seen Fort Worth newspapers from 1962 on Oswald's return from Russia. They were big articles.

You asked about the Fort Worth Police. I have wondered about that too. I wonder how much cooperation, or non-cooperation between the different agencies there was.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/curry1.htm

Mr. MCCLOY - While we are waiting for Mr. Rankin to continue his examination, let me ask you this question, Chief.
Did you, prior to the assassination, know or hear of Oswald?
Mr. CURRY - Never.
Mr. MCCLOY - Didn't hear that he had been--there was a defector named Oswald in the city of Dallas?
Mr. CURRY - No, sir.
Mr. MCCLOY - Never heard of his name?
Mr. CURRY - We didn't have it in our files.
Representative FORD - Was there anything in your files that Lee Harvey Oswald had been involved with the Dallas police force?
Mr. CURRY - No, sir.
Representative FORD - No record whatsoever?
Mr. CURRY - No, sir.

Mr. DULLES - Was there any record of his having made a trip to the Soviet Union and returned?
Mr. CURRY - Not in our files.
Mr. DULLES - And returned to Texas?
Mr. CURRY - We didn't have anything in our files regarding Lee Harvey Oswald.

Senator COOPER - I want to come back to that point later, but I want to ask this, outside of what you had in your police files, your records, did you know yourself, or did you know whether anyone in authority in the police force or anyone in the police force, to your knowledge, had any knowledge of the presence of Oswald in Dallas?
Mr. CURRY - No, sir; I have asked my criminal intelligence section, which would have been the persons who had knowledge of this.
Senator COOPER - Had anyone informed you that he was working in the Texas School Book Depository Building?
Mr. CURRY - No, sir.
Mr. DULLES - Had he ever tangled with the Dallas Police in any respect of which there is any record?
Mr. CURRY - We have no record at all of him.

Look at what Revill told the HSCA in what, 1978 maybe?

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo2/jfk4/hscarevl.htm

Mr. PURDY. What was the responsibility of the Criminal Intelligence Section in the 1950's and early 1960's?
Captain REVILL. Our primary function was the gathering of information on individuals and organizations involved in criminal activities and extremist group individuals, and organizations.
Mr. PURDY. Was the vice squad part of this unit?
Captain REVILL. The vice squad was a part, an integral part of the Special Services Bureau which consisted of vice, narcotics, and intelligence, each unit commanded by a lieutenant of police.
Mr. PURDY. To what extent did members of the intelligence unit have access to information concerning criminal activity generally in Dallas in the 1950's and early 1960's?
Captain REVILL. We had complete access to recorded information of criminal elements.
Mr. PURDY. When did you join the intelligence division?
Captain REVILL. In February of 1958, I believe.
Mr. PURDY. What division did you work in prior to that time?
Captain REVILL. Prior to that I was a lieutenant commanding the narcotics unit.
Mr. PURDY. In your work with the intelligence division, did you gain access to information concerning all types of criminal activity or just specific types?
Captain REVILL. All types of criminal activity.

Up until Marina Oswald's magic production of the Walker note, what part of Oswald's life would have drawn the attention of the Criminal Intelligence Division of the Dallas Police?

His arrest in New Orleans in August might not have come to the attention of the Dallas Police.

Actually, I do believe Curry and Fritz and Revill when they testified that Oswald was unknown to them prior to 11/22.

The emphasis of the Special Service Bureau seemed;,to me, to be on groups and not lone-wolfs.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/curry1.htm

Mr. RANKIN - I will hand you Exhibit No. 710 and ask you if that isn't a copy of what you are referring to.
Mr. CURRY - Yes; it is
Mr. RANKIN - You won't have to read that, Chief, if you will just describe in a general way what was done that you know about and then I will offer that to show what it proves.
Mr. CURRY - In essence, this report says prior to the announcement of the President's visit, there were rumors he would visit Dallas and because of these rumors the intelligence section increased its efforts in attempting to get data concerning not only extremists and subversive groups.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve  -  Was Revill (or is it Revell) like Lumpkin Gannaway and others also reserve Army Intelligence? 

Paul,

You know, I've wondered, but I just don't know. If you ever find out for sure, could you let me know?

Steve Thomas

22 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

* Don Stringfellow advised that Oswald had confessed to the shooting of President Kennedy and Police Officer Tippit.  He also provided additional false information ---portraying Oswald as a card-carrying Communist who had defected to Cuba---used in a message to the US Strike Command in Florida.

Bill,

But on the very same day that JFK was assassinated, J. Edgar Hoover sent a memo to all his top aides indicating that Lee Harvey Oswald “went to Cuba on several occasions but would not tell us what he went to Cuba for.”

Can you imagine a Dallas cop in 1963 considering an American's multiple trips to communist Cuba a “defection”?

I sure can.

By then, Cuba was clearly a communist island.  This all gets a whole lot easier to understand if you consider that maybe, just maybe, there were multiple “Lee Harvey Oswalds” taking part in multiple spy games.

My theory is that Don Stringfellow got the usual treatment for inconvenient witnesses.

nov_22-23-13.jpg

Edited by Jim Hargrove

Many members of the Special Services Bureau of the DPD were also members of Reserve Military Intelligence units. Didn’t the military have records on Oswald the defector? 

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

The military had lots of records on Oswald the defector.  That's why Revill and Gannaway's claim that they didn't know about Oswald is implausible.  His return was in the national and local press in 1962 - they couldn't have missed it.

Question: have these been released?

Thank you.

I have scanned and uploaded more stuff on Mil Intel fromMalcolm Blunt's files. These can be seen HERE

Edited by Bart Kamp

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another little gem about George Lumpkin in the days before 11/22.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if William Lumpkin was related to George Lumpkin - and if there are any Lumpkins living in the Dallas area?

2.  The private investigator Jan Stevens is one of my favorite writers on the assassination, particularly on the Ruby shooting of LHO - does anyone know if he is still alive?

Stevens writes a review of the Groden-Livingstone book High Treason: "Dallas SAIC Forrest Sorrells Commission testimony is cited...he selected the Main-Houston-Elm route as the most direct one to the Dallas Mart, whereas Main St to Industrial would have been a more logical choice.  It was apparently decided against when DPD Assistant Chief George Lumpkin told the Secret Service it would be undesirable because of 'winos and broken pavement'. "

By the way, Lumpkin also said that JFK wanted exposure and there wouldn't be any crowds on Industrial Blvd.  Nor would there be a big crowd at Dealey Plaza - it was very thinly populated - also a bad place for a sendoff before hitting the freeway.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:25 PM, Bart Kamp said:

I have scanned and uploaded more stuff on Mil Intel fromMalcolm Blunt's files. These can be seen HERE

Bart,

I wonder if the Edgar S. Boyd, former Commander of the 112th was related to Elmer L. Boyd of the Dallas PD.

This is from the first document in the pdf's you provided:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ddlGVngkyakzpaO4hmqMreuINx2zGC8i\

Commanders of Region II, Dallas:

image.png.188904c20c5c937908130405a526bee3.png

Steve Thomas

You may want to sit down for this chrono - I've been working for months off and on re the Boyd question - my question is a little different, it is whether the Detachment A's Colonel John E. Boyt is the same as the 112th's Lt. Colonel Edgar Boyd, aka Lt. Col. Earl Boyd!   

If this question can be answered as true, that would be huge.  The next question might be whether Edgar/Earl Boyd is the same as Elmer Boyd.   That would be a trifecta. 

Boyt met with JFK, RFK, and military higher-ups in the "late fall" of 1963 - not long before JFK's death.

Here's  Col. John E. Boyt teaching ROTC at Lafayette College in Easton, PA in 1956.

11/1/62 - Here's Boyt talking about Veciana with Lansdale, Collections Division chief Boucher, and Army counter-intelligence's Colonel Rolfe (see next item).

There is a Lt. John Boyt from the Dept of the Army when they were issuing the orders to not leave the mainland to key anti-Castro organizers...Boyt said that Alpha-66 and L-66 agreed to the prohibition!

...they got his rank and name muddled - I think it's the same as the man referred to here as Colonel Boydt, leader of Detachment A, and in Jan 1963 his signature line is Colonel John E. Boyt

Here he is referred to as Detachment A leader Colonel J. E. Boyt, during January 1963 and Feb. 63 when Veciana wanted his boat back from Customs that was seized 10/31/62!  Veciana told the Army he didn't want direct US participation, wanted an internal uprising rather than external help.  Was he really that deluded  - he is a smart guy - or was that a cover story???

3/30/63 - the day Cuba restrictions on raids came into effect:  Here's Colonel John Boyt at a very high-level briefing with Army Counter-Intelligence higher-up Richard L. Rolfe, FBI Asst Director Courtney Evans, and Nationalities Intelligence chief Ray Wannall - the subject is how to cut back on the Cuban raids by Fiorini, Felipe Vidal Santiago, DRE and others, knowing 100% elimination was an impossibility.  Boyt told the group that Alpha 66 and L-66 were already tipped off - and they agreed!  A very hot document ending with the release of previously-redacted references to the "Cuban espionage cases" in Miami - Foxtrot and Reverse.

Veciana now limited to Dade County.  Word passed on to Maj. General Junius "Duke" Watlington of USAOSD, chief of Army's Miami station.   Here's an analysis that Watlington may have been a pseudonym for Harvey's right-hand man Neill Prew.

Late fall:  Veciana's Army handler Hubbard/aka Patrick Harris discusses drawing up a map of all the base camps of the Second Front for Detachment A chief Col. Boydt, ACSI chief Alva Fitch, McCone, RFK and JFK.  JFK saw the map and was very happy.  Said the men must have trusted Hubbard to give him so much info about their base camps.  This was "late fall", shortly before JFK's death.

On 11/22/63 Lt. Col. Earl Boyd of the 112th spoke to DPD deputy chief Dolly Fisher and told him his men had heard that two men were doing target practice on Continental Avenue on Wed. night 11/20.  Fisher knew nothing about it.

By Jan 64, Colonel JE Boyt is chief of the Collections Division at ACSI. - with Dorothe Matlack signing the letter on his behalf!!   Some great marginalia if someone can dope it out.

I think the better question is whether Colonel John E. Boyt was inserted into the 112th as "Colonel Earl Boyd" or "Lt. Colonel Edgar E. Boyd, Jr." who was sent to the 112th in Dallas periodically during 62 and 63, and stationed with the Dallas police during November 1963...possibly as Elmer Boyd?

You get the feeling the misspellings are deliberate? And then it turns out that Colonel Boyt is chief of collections for ACSI. What does the chief of collections do? 

Edited by Paul Brancato

I'm sure Veciana's handler Pat Harris went out of his way to give the reporter the misspelling of Boydt.

Collections is literally the acquiring of intelligence - Boyt had to sift through the universe of information to provide good content for the analysts to take the next step.

The story keeps getting better - this 11/26/63 FBI memo writes about how Lt. Col. Robert Jones of the 112th reported how the switchboard of the Fourth Army in Dallas got a phone call between 12:15 pm-12:30 pm from "Silver Dollar" on 11/22 - some thought it was Air Force Two up in the sky - saying "I am calling to test communications."  They were told they came through loud and clear - then they hung up.

Larry Haapanen and Alan Rogers have a great article about the Silver Dollar incident - Silver Dollar was actually the nuclear command post known as Looking Glass run by the Strategic Air Command during the Cold War - it flew continuously to ensure there was an airborne post to direct bombers and missiles in case all the ground stations were destroyed.  It was designed to guarantee that US strategic forces would only act in a manner dictated by the President.

Ed Coyle of the 112th is at the center of their article - Haapanen suggests that the Dallas police learned about the Silver Dollar incident because Coyle said "we were on very close terms with the Dallas Police Department, particularly their intelligence section.  Now their intelligence section was run by an Army reserve colonel.  I don't remember his name right now.  But all the men assigned to his organization were in Army intelligence."  The Army reserve colonel that headed the intelligence section was Pat Gannaway.

Jones also reported in the FBI memo that the 112th "now has Col. Earl Boyd stationed at the Police Department to pick up any information that he can possibly pick up concerning the slaying of President Kennedy."   So where's the Colonel's memo?

6 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

On 11/22/63 Lt. Col. Earl Boyd of the 112th spoke to DPD deputy chief Dolly Fisher and told him his men had heard that two men were doing target practice on Continental Avenue on Wed. night 11/20.  Fisher knew nothing about it.

Bill,

I thought this part of the FBI memo was interesting:

image.png.b98f2e0fba22c2929ac649a854009733.png

That's the first time I've ever heard of an "IBM listing of radio calls".

I wonder where that list is, and how is IBM involved.

Steve Thomas