The Education Forum

“The lights all went out,” and the elevators stopped while JFK was murdered. Shelley and Lovelady were near the bottom of the back staircase, by the electrical panel... and Vickie Adams saw them ... until everyone's story changed...

Jim Hargrove

Thanks for your good work and John's, Hargrove. About Mentzel, all I know

is what I wrote in INTO THE NIGHTMARE and my followup article on Jim DiEugenio's website.

There's also a photo of Mentzel standing as an honor guard in front of Tippit's casket.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again, Joe.

It’s probably been a long time since you had much of a Wisconsin connection, but since you spent your youth in the state, I wonder if the following would mean anything at all to you.  Any connection with Classic Oswald® may be a long shot, but there is some suggestive background, as follows.

There were two alleged appearances of “Lee Harvey Oswald” in Wisconsin during 1963. There is some evidence that “Oswald” checked into the Nicolet Hotel in Sparta, Wisconsin on March 29, 1963, and in the evening had his hair cut in the hotel barbershop by a fellow named John Abbott, who said the young man introduced himself as “Lee Harvey Oswald.”  Abbott noted that the young man had a mastoidectomy scar behind his left ear.

The second sighting occurred on September 16, 1963 in Hubertus, Wisconsin.  From Harvey and Lee, p. 595:

On September 16, while Harvey and Marina were in New Orleans, someone
signed "Lee Harvey Oswald" to a restaurant registry in Hubertus, WI. President
Kennedy was due to speak in nearby Ashland, WI on September 24 during a nationwide
tour to promote conservation. The same day a man signed "Lee Oswald, Dallas" in a
guest registration book at a nightclub about 30 miles from Milwaukee, WI (Milwaukee
Sentinel, November 30, 1963 ).

NOTE: The possibility has to be considered that the conspirators were trying to create
the impression that "Oswald" was stalking President Kennedy. This would explain the
sightings of Oswald in Sparta, WI, Hubertus, WI, Oak Ridge, TN, Miami, FL, and other
remote locations.

But here’s where the story gets weirder.  Note the following newspaper image and caption apparently from the 6/30/61 Wisconsin newspaper The Post Crescent:

LHO_in_Wisconsin.jpg

According to the U.S. Census of 1940, a “Lee Oswald” was listed in Ward 6, City of Madison, in Dane County, Wisconsin (see below).  The actual handwritten “Population Schedule” sheet listing dozens of Madison residents, including “Lee Oswald” indicates that he was 3/12 (three-twelths) of a year old when the information was taken.  The handwritten image is a little big to upload but here’s the abbreviated listing:

1940_Census.jpg

In all likelihood, this Wisconsin Lee Oswald was born in 1939, just like Classic Oswald®.  No doubt it is a big country, but I’ve been surprised by how few “Lee Oswalds” appear in census and death records in recent history.  Not nearly as many as I would have assumed.  The strangest thing of all is that this Wisconsin “Lee Oswald” seems to simply disappear after the 1961 newspaper story.  I can’t find him listed anywhere else.

I’ve only been looking into this for a little more than a day, so I may well have missed a lot.  Thanks again for your kind words.

At this point, I'd like to know if the infamous 12:45 message to Tippit to "move into Oak Cliff" (which was NOT included in the original DPD transcription of the tapes from the afternoon of 11/22/63) was actually uttered by Murray Jackson, or did our buddies at the FBI add that baby as a way of explaining how in the world Tippit wound up in Oak Cliff?

Did Jackson actually tell Tippit to go to Oak Cliff, yes or no? And if he did, why the hell did he do that? Mentzel was already there!

Wish I had a definitive answer to that question.  For the record, below are the existing transcript excerpts Paul is talking about.  They're from Channel 1.  Can anyone recognize Jackson's voice?  The surviving recording can be heard at the following link by clicking on on the loudspeaker icon about halfway down the page:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/index.htm

The following assumes Jackson is the dispatcher:

At 12:45, Murray Jackson tells Tippit (#78) to "move into central Oak Cliff area":

"Dispatcher: 87, 78, move into central Oak Cliff area."

"78 (Ptm. J.D. Tippit): I'm about Kiest and Bonnie View."

At 12:54 p.m., dispatcher Murray Jackson contacted J.D. to make sure he was in Oak Cliff. 

"You are in the Oak Cliff area, are you not?" Jackson asked. 

"Lancaster and Eighth," J.D. replied. 

"You will be at large for any emergency that comes in." 

38 minutes ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Wish I had a definitive answer to that question.  For the record, below are the existing transcript excerpts Paul is talking about.  They're from Channel 1.  Can anyone recognize Jackson's voice?  The surviving recording can be heard at the following link by clicking on on the loudspeaker icon about halfway down the page:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/index.htm

The following assumes Jackson is the dispatcher:

At 12:45, Murray Jackson tells Tippit (#78) to "move into central Oak Cliff area":

"Dispatcher: 87, 78, move into central Oak Cliff area."

"78 (Ptm. J.D. Tippit): I'm about Kiest and Bonnie View."

At 12:54 p.m., dispatcher Murray Jackson contacted J.D. to make sure he was in Oak Cliff. 

"You are in the Oak Cliff area, are you not?" Jackson asked. 

"Lancaster and Eighth," J.D. replied. 

"You will be at large for any emergency that comes in." 

Does anybody know if the dispatcher was sending cars to various parts of the city just in case emergencies happened there? Or if this communication to Tippit was unique? If the latter is the case, that certainly looks suspicious. What was so special about Oak Cliff at that time?

On 5/26/2019 at 12:19 PM, Jim Hargrove said:

Thanks again, Joe.

It’s probably been a long time since you had much of a Wisconsin connection, but since you spent your youth in the state, I wonder if the following would mean anything at all to you.  Any connection with Classic Oswald® may be a long shot, but there is some suggestive background, as follows.

There were two alleged appearances of “Lee Harvey Oswald” in Wisconsin during 1963. There is some evidence that “Oswald” checked into the Nicolet Hotel in Sparta, Wisconsin on March 29, 1963, and in the evening had his hair cut in the hotel barbershop by a fellow named John Abbott, who said the young man introduced himself as “Lee Harvey Oswald.”  Abbott noted that the young man had a mastoidectomy scar behind his left ear.

The second sighting occurred on September 16, 1963 in Hubertus, Wisconsin.  From Harvey and Lee, p. 595:

On September 16, while Harvey and Marina were in New Orleans, someone
signed "Lee Harvey Oswald" to a restaurant registry in Hubertus, WI. President
Kennedy was due to speak in nearby Ashland, WI on September 24 during a nationwide
tour to promote conservation. The same day a man signed "Lee Oswald, Dallas" in a
guest registration book at a nightclub about 30 miles from Milwaukee, WI (Milwaukee
Sentinel, November 30, 1963 ).

NOTE: The possibility has to be considered that the conspirators were trying to create
the impression that "Oswald" was stalking President Kennedy. This would explain the
sightings of Oswald in Sparta, WI, Hubertus, WI, Oak Ridge, TN, Miami, FL, and other
remote locations.

But here’s where the story gets weirder.  Note the following newspaper image and caption apparently from the 6/30/61 Wisconsin newspaper The Post Crescent:

LHO_in_Wisconsin.jpg

According to the U.S. Census of 1940, a “Lee Oswald” was listed in Ward 6, City of Madison, in Dane County, Wisconsin (see below).  The actual handwritten “Population Schedule” sheet listing dozens of Madison residents, including “Lee Oswald” indicates that he was 3/12 (three-twelths) of a year old when the information was taken.  The handwritten image is a little big to upload but here’s the abbreviated listing:

1940_Census.jpg

In all likelihood, this Wisconsin Lee Oswald was born in 1939, just like Classic Oswald®.  No doubt it is a big country, but I’ve been surprised by how few “Lee Oswalds” appear in census and death records in recent history.  Not nearly as many as I would have assumed.  The strangest thing of all is that this Wisconsin “Lee Oswald” seems to simply disappear after the 1961 newspaper story.  I can’t find him listed anywhere else.

I’ve only been looking into this for a little more than a day, so I may well have missed a lot.  Thanks again for your kind words.

Jim,

See my forwarded emails to you on this. 

52 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Does anybody know if the dispatcher was sending cars to various parts of the city just in case emergencies happened there? Or if this communication to Tippit was unique? If the latter is the case, that certainly looks suspicious. What was so special about Oak Cliff at that time?

Sandy,

The reason I am so suspicious about CE 705 (the transcript of the dispatch tapes) is because that was NOT the first transcription.

No, the first transcription of the Dallas Dispatch Tapes to the Warren Commission, dated December 5, 1963 was supposedly a "transcript of the transmissions pertaining to the incidents (the president's assassination and the Tippit shooting). The DPD omitted routine transmission for "reasons of brevity."

OK, so far so good.

But you know what was NOT on that first transcription?

The 12:45 order from Murray Jackson to J.D. Tippit, telling him to move into Central Oak Cliff!

The single most important explanation for why Tippit was in Oak Cliff DIDN'T EXIST ON THE ORIGINAL DPD TRANSCRIPT OF THEIR OWN TAPES!

Here is  Commission Document 290. The first two pages are the key:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10691#relPageId=2&tab=page

And as of December, 1963 no one in the DPD, from Chief Curry on down, had any idea WHY Tippit was in Oak Cliff!

It was only five months later that the magical order suddenly appeared on the new and improved transcripts!

6 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Thanks, but now I'm even more confused.  Do you think "Lance Armstrong" and "Lee Armstrong," both of Wisconsin, are the same person?

Yes (Oswald, not Armstrong.) Lance Oswald and "Lee" Oswald are the same person - brother of Lynn Oswald. 

https://madison.com/news/local/obituaries/oswald-lynn-spencer/article_164a8b05-65d7-5ef9-a855-5c1796234dd6.html

OK, so apparently the 1940 census-taker was given Lance Oswald’s nickname, rather than his legal name.  Odd, but possible, I suppose.

That is incredibly suspicious that the 12:45 call for Tippit to “move into central Oak Cliff area” is left out of  CD 290.  No doubt WC apologists will say this is a simple error, but several other possibilities seem more likely, none of them innocent.

Sandy asked about the dispatcher’s instruction to Tippit: "You will be at large for any emergency that comes in." I remember that someone speculated that this was a kind of inside joke between Jackson and Tippit, though I don’t remember the specifics.  Seems like an odd time for jokes.