The Education Forum

The County Jail witnesses

On 4/3/2019 at 10:13 AM, Josh Cron said:

For what it's worth, Amos Euins comments in his HSCA interview that he could see inmates "hanging on the bars trying to see."

Thanks, Josh. I don't think I've read a transcript of that interview or heard any of it beyond what Denis Morissette posted on youtube. Do you have a link to the full interview? 

8 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Thanks, Josh. I don't think I've read a transcript of that interview or heard any of it beyond what Denis Morissette posted on youtube. Do you have a link to the full interview? 

I have not hear anything of that sort in the tape that I have. There are few times when I could not understand what was discussed, so it is possible that it is on the tape.

EUINS, AMOS

TOTAL:50 minutes.

CASSETTE 1, SIDE 1 (45 minutes)

0:15. Introduction of those present during the interview.

0:57. Where were you on November 22, 1963.

1:16. Euins discusses that day.

2:20. Euins. Sat by the pool in Dealey Plaza. He describes his actions in Dealey Plaza.

4:28. Euins. I could see something sticking out of a window.

5:08. Euins. The shots rang out.

5:38. Euins. I looked at the building again. The rifle was gone.

5:50. Euins. I talked to the police.

6:52: Did the police take you in the TSBD?

Euins: No. They put me in the back of a car.

8:03: Euins. A policeman on a 2-wheel told me to stand back

8:37. Euins. I noticed __________. The 3rd floor from the top.

8:51: Did you see a Black man in the window?

Euins: No, Sir.

9:30. Did you see the barrel of a gun?

10:02. Did you see anyone coming __________?

Euins: No.

10:38. They _____________?

10:49. I want to know exactly where you were standing.

11:20. Right here by the curb. Discusses his movements and location until 13:20.

13:20. You looked up the window and you saw the flash?

13:32. Discusses his movements in Dealey Plaza.

15:03. You said that the first motorcycle policeman asked you move to the curb. You saw a flashing light.

Euins give details

16:20. Euins. Then I saw a pipe.

16:22. Please describe what you saw in the window.

16:44. Euins. Cannot say it was a White or Black guy. I saw a pipe...

18:50. How many shots did you hear?

Euins: At least 3 shots.

19:03. Where did the shots come from?

Euins: “It went too fast to say”. Vocally demonstrates the sequence of the shots. Discusses this until 20:35.

20:38. What floor do you think it was on?

Euins: Second floor from the top.

21:03. From the corner of what street?

Euins: Houston.

21:12: Noticed anything in the other windows?

21:38. How did you get to the police officer?

21:40. Euins. That lady I told I saw something in the window…  

21:54. Did you point to the window to the lady?

Euins: Yes.

22:05. The policeman told me to get on the bike and come with him.

22:10. Did it come a time when you went back to the TSBD that you pointed out the window to the policeman?

22:30. How old were you at that time?

22:43. They took you to the County Jail?

23:05. Did they take a written statement from you?

23:55. Did you go to Washington?

24:10. You said you were brought downtown and stayed there for a while.

24:23. It was with a school gal.

24:35. When you on Houston across the County Jail. The first lady you told about something in the window. Do you know her name?

25:02. Did you have a camera at the time?

25:07. Did you take pictures?

25:08. Euins: I took pictures, but I don’t know where that camera is.

25:10. Did you take pictures of the shooting?

25:14. Euins. I took pictures of everything.

25:17. At that time?

25:22. Did you take pictures of the man in the window?

Euins. Of the building and what-have-you.

25:30. Did you have a camera on the motorcycle?

Euins: No. I had left it behind…

25:53. But you had it before the shooting started.

25:57. When did you start taking the pictures?

Euins: They did not matter to me.

26:25. What kind of camera did you have?

Euins: A cheap camera.

26:34. When the shooting started, you were taking pictures?

26:36. Euins. No.

26:43. “I have a copy of a statement from you” The interviewer reads it to Euins. They then discuss its content and Euins gives more details on what he saw.

30:20. If you faced the man, would you recognize the man?

30:35. When they interviewed you, did they try to make you change what you said?

Euins: They tried to make me say things I did not say.

30:43: Who tried?

31:57. Were you alone at that time?

32:03: Were you afraid?

32:38. They tried to make you say things?

34:40. Euins already heard one guy, a photographer who got killed. Euins then talks about one Tippit murder witness, Warren Reynolds, who got shot. Euins talks until 36:36 of Reynolds fear of being killed.

36:36. Euins says what Warren Reynolds told about what happened to him. Goes on until 40:52.

40:52: Did you see JFK when got shot?

41:00. Did you see anyone in Dealey Plaza that you knew?

41:21: Have you seen any photographs taken in Dealey Plaza other than those in newspapers?

42:38 until 43:50. Back to Euins’ statement and efforts to make his change his story.

44:05. Euins shown a photo to locate himself.

44:45. Euins. This is the lady I pointed out the window to.

ENDS.

CASSETTE 1, SIDE 2 (5 minutes)

45:02. Euins. This is the lady I pointed out the window to. She is a police officer OR She told a police officer? The photo is shown to a family member who confirms it is Amos in the photo.

47:27. Anything we think we should know about?

ENDS at 50:30.

• 2 weeks later...

I was glimpsing back through Jim Bishop's 1968 book The Day Kennedy Was Shot. And it occurred to me that he may actually have interviewed Willie Mitchell and/or Stanley Kaufman. (Bishop claimed to have conducted hundreds of interviews while writing his book, but, apparently, left behind no interview lists or notes.) In any event, a few details on Mitchell in Bishop's book do not come from Kaufman's WC testimony. Here is the main one--that the fifth-floor prisoners had received special permission to watch the motorcade from the holding tank with the best view. Well, this undermines the 1964 FBI report in which Holman claimed the cell with the best view was unoccupied, and only adds to my impression Holman and Fritz lied to the FBI when they said the prisoners didn't see anything. 

(Willie Mitchell's observations as presented in The Day Kennedy Was Shot by Jim Bishop, 1968.) "Up in the county jail, Willie Mitchell, known to the deputies as a 'colored boy,' pressed his face against the bars in a silent shouldering battle with other prisoners. They had read in the papers that the motorcade was going to pass here, and some had asked permission to congregate in the big tank on the north side to watch the parade. Mitchell was serving a sentence for driving while intoxicated. He had big eyes and excellent vision...Willie Mitchell, elbowing and being elbowed, kept his hands on the bars and saw the array of citizens on the grass: the pencil line of pedestrians lining Elm Street; the cops pushing cars back and making them disappear against the will of the drivers. Mitchell missed very little."  (Later, after the shots were fired.) "The prisoners in the jail strained to see it all. Willie Mitchell, the 'colored boy,' shouted that the President had been hit from behind by a bullet. 'His head burst,' he said, excitedly. 'It was like throwing a bucket of water at him.'"

JB's book was vetted before release by the FBI according to Malcolm Blunt.  A fact that ought not to be disregarded, even it could have little effect on some of the observations.

Furthermore.

Bobby Joe Johnson.

Edited by Bart Kamp

2 hours ago, Bart Kamp said:

JB's book was vetted before release by the FBI according to Malcolm Blunt.  A fact that ought not to be disregarded, even it could have little effect on some of the observations.

Furthermore.

Bobby Joe Johnson.

"vetted by the FBI"  Bobby Joe sounds more believable in spite of his criminal record.  Especially if one considers Wade's record.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/01/errol_morris_q_a_on_the_thin_blue_line_and_making_a_murderer.html