The Education Forum

Three Dallas Cops Who Probably Helped Frame Oswald on 11/22/63

13 minutes ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Tony,

Ford named only "the Texas Attorney General" and long-time Dallas "District Attorney [Henry] Wade...."  The Texas Attorney General at the time was Waggoner Carr.   

Robert Tanenbaum (former Deputy Counsel for the House Select Committee on Assassinations) testified that he read the transcript of the secret session Ford was referring to.  In 1996 Tanenbaum testified at an ARRB hearing in Los Angeles by saying, "the Attorney General of Texas, Henry Wade the District Attorney and Leon Jaworsky counsel to the Attorney General, on the transcript spoke to the Chief Justice and said in substance, as I recall, that they had information from unimpeachable sources that Lee Harvey Oswald was a contract employee of the CIA and the FBI." (Click here for full testimony.)

Well, we have been able to read the actual transcript itself since 1974 - Harold Weisberg originally published it after receiving it in the mail (after much legal wrangling with the Nixon administration. He figured it had been released to him at a time when the Nixon Administration was desperately trying to save itself, and Weisberg guessed that Nixon and company were trying a last-ditch deflection by sending to him. He may well have been right.)

Now the better question is whether "Oswald" really was on the FBI payroll in any capacity. My guess is no, but either way, any evidence of FBI payment to "Oswald" would have disappeared 56 years ago. 

In any event, our "Oswald" would have been a CIA creature, not primarily an FBI contact. We can't tell from Rankin's memo exactly who the sources were that "Oswald" was an informant for the CIA (number 110669) , but Rankin was concerned enough to note it in his memo.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=60439#relPageId=5&tab=page

Jim, to answer your other question as to whether the picture at Ruby's club is of "Lee" in the background, well it sure resembles him!

I wonder about the validity of Mary Hollies 2011 remarks to the effect that the "Oswald" she knew (apparently/allegedly/belatedly/maybe?) remarked at least once or twice about "strip clubs". If so, that would seem to support the possibility that this photo is indeed Lee.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitewash-IV-Commission-Transcript-Assassination/dp/1626361126

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1328

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Jim Hargrove said:

In 1996 Tanenbaum testified at an ARRB hearing in Los Angeles by saying, "the Attorney General of Texas, Henry Wade the District Attorney and Leon Jaworsky counsel to the Attorney General, on the transcript spoke to the Chief Justice and said in substance, as I recall, that they had information from unimpeachable sources that Lee Harvey Oswald was a contract employee of the CIA and the FBI."

Do you know of any other persons that simultaneously worked for both agencies?

Do you believe that each agency knew that Oswald was working for the other?

I can't name another person who was employed by both the FBI and the CIA, but I'd be surprised if that would be public knowledge.  We wouldn't know it about "Lee Harvey Oswald" were he not put under a microscope after getting entangled in the assassination.  I agree with Paul J. that the "Oswald Project" was a creation of the CIA, but what else can we do but look at the evidence--all of it--and try to figure out who to trust?

My own guess is that Oswald wouldn't have moved back to NOLA and gone through all that acting near the Trade Mart without being paid by someone for it, and he sure was surrounded by FBI people.  And Waggoner Carr and Henry Wade seemed pretty certain he was getting $200 a month from the FBI.  I'll read Paul's links tonight. 

1 hour ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Tony,

Ford named only "the Texas Attorney General" and long-time Dallas "District Attorney [Henry] Wade...."  The Texas Attorney General at the time was Waggoner Carr.   

Robert Tanenbaum (former Deputy Counsel for the House Select Committee on Assassinations) testified that he read the transcript of the secret session Ford was referring to.  In 1996 Tanenbaum testified at an ARRB hearing in Los Angeles by saying, "the Attorney General of Texas, Henry Wade the District Attorney and Leon Jaworsky counsel to the Attorney General, on the transcript spoke to the Chief Justice and said in substance, as I recall, that they had information from unimpeachable sources that Lee Harvey Oswald was a contract employee of the CIA and the FBI." (Click here for full testimony.)

Jim,

The WC Executive Session Tannenbaum refers to was January 27, 1964. You can read the transcript here:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1328#relPageId=4&tab=page

If I remember right, the information came from the newspaper reporter, Lonnie Hudkins, who said he got it from Deputy Sheriff, Allen Sweatt.

And, if I also remember right, Sweatt got it from Assistant DA, Bill Alexander.

Steve Thomas

On 4/8/2019 at 5:04 AM, Steve Thomas said:

Tony,

PS: Catch the Harvey Lee Oswald reference? This is coming from someone who had spent the prior two years as the "deputy commander of the Intelligence Division of the New Orleans Police Department."

Steve Thomas

From A Farewell to Justice by Jim Garrison:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9mQtAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT58&lpg=PT58&dq="Francis+Martello"&source=bl&ots=JR-gT302sf&sig=ACfU3U16zptsusScb9ZTG9TaTboqkxRZlg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHibLhlsHhAhXLzIMKHdwhCdU4ChDoATAGegQICRAB#v=onepage&q="Francis Martello"&f=false

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Memorandum

Quigley waited until February of 1964 to ask Martello why he thought Oswald wanted to talk to an FBI agent?

Steve Thomas

image.thumb.png.467df627793ff3b5886ca0fdc2d856ad.png

An arrested person asks for the FBI and the cop doesn't ask why? 

4 hours ago, Tony Krome said:

An arrested person asks for the FBI and the cop doesn't ask why? 

Pretty amazing ain't it?  Read earlier that Martello was (one of) Bannister's informants on the New Orleans Police Department.  Interesting. 

44 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Pretty amazing ain't it?  Read earlier that Martello was (one of) Bannister's informants on the New Orleans Police Department.  Interesting. 

Wasn't Bannister former FBI? 

So the alleged FBI informant Oswald hands out flyers that reveals 544 Camp St, a building that Bannister also worked in. That was August 9th 1963, the day of Oswald's arrest

Sounds like an anti-FBI thing to do

17 minutes ago, Tony Krome said:

Wasn't Bannister former FBI? 

So the alleged FBI informant Oswald hands out flyers that reveals 544 Camp St, a building that Bannister also worked in. That was August 9th 1963, the day of Oswald's arrest

Sounds like an anti-FBI thing to do

Yes.  Former head of the Chicago office in the early 50's.  Also reputedly Office of Naval Intelligence.  Where some might speculate O came from in the first place via the Marine Corp, Ferrie, Byrd the Civil Air Patrol, etc.  Good chance Bannister still kept Hoover informed, but he may have been misinformed by the CIA.  

Edited by Ron Bulman

There is an HSCA report of an interview with Banister’s secretary Delphine Roberts that states, “BANISTER believed that OSWALD did not act alone and he also believed that OSWALD was working for the FBI at the time that he was in N.O.” 

I seem to recall information that Roberts also said Banister told someone there was “no problem” and “the guy is ours” or words to that effect when told of the leafleting, but I spent a few minutes trying to confirm it and couldn’t.  Banister was obviously angry that Oswald used the Camp St. address.  

LHO was surrounded by USG agents and informants during that Canal St. pantomime, which was watched by CIA agent William Gaudet and FBI informant Orest Pena.  FBI informant Orville Aucoin took pictures (later shown on national television), while FBI photographers recorded it from across the street.  Arrested with Oswald were Carlos Bringuier (an FBI informant recruited by DeBrueys) and FBI informant T-2 Miguel Cruz.

Are we to believe that “Lee Harvey Oswald” was just about the only fellow in that whole sidewalk charade unaffiliated with the USG, especially the FBI? 

21 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jim,

The WC Executive Session Tannenbaum refers to was January 27, 1964. You can read the transcript here:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1328#relPageId=4&tab=page

If I remember right, the information came from the newspaper reporter, Lonnie Hudkins, who said he got it from Deputy Sheriff, Allen Sweatt.

And, if I also remember right, Sweatt got it from Assistant DA, Bill Alexander.

Steve Thomas

Megathanks for the link, Paul and Steve.  I didn't know a transcript was available for this session.  The story may not be the slam dunk Ford and Tanenbaum led me to believe it was, but I'm going to study this some more.  From the very limited digging I've done so far, it is clear that a bunch of knives long ago had been sharpened for Lonnie Hudkins, which always makes me suspicious, but doesn't mean he was right.  I'll reserve judgment for now, but....

The reason that so many people and organization (the Houston Chronicle and even, briefly, the New York Times)  were asking about government associations with "LHO" seems pretty clear.  Looking at the story as a whole, it just seems as obvious as the fact that LHO didn't act alone, if at all.  It's visceral, at least for me.  Thanks again!

Edited by Jim Hargrove
Paul J and Steve both provided links to the secret session!

3 hours ago, Gene Kelly said:

When I think of someone who worked for both FBI and CIA, William Harvey comes immediately to mind. 

CIA Mexico City chief Win Scott worked for the FBI from 1941 - 43. As I recall, Peter Dale Scott was curious about a few different ex-FBI men in the CIA, but Winfield Scott is the only one I can think of at the moment. Winfield Scott, of course, managed to drop dead just as he was about to release his manuscript/thoughts/suspicions about the whole "Oswald in Mexico" event. 

And Angleton then immediately flew to Mexico City and personally inspected Scott's safe and confiscated the contents. Which supposedly included photos and a tape recording of "Oswald" at the Cuban and Russian Consulates in Mexico City. 

But since "Oswald" was never there, we can guess why Angleton wanted to grab those photos and tape ASAP - they were of a different "Oswald"!

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

Hi Paul...

54 minutes ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

But since "Oswald" was never there, we can guess why Angleton wanted to grab those photos and tape ASAP - they were of a different "Oswald"!

On possibility here Paul is that Angelton was after things not related to Oswald at all... Mexico City Station was one of the most productive in the world for the CIA... At the time he would be right to be concerned over the CHICOM (Chinese Communists), the Czechs, the Yugoslavians, DFS, Cubans, Haitians, and on and on...

FWIW James McCord was also both FBI and CIA and his backstop story was that he had worked for the CIA the entire time... whether that's just a cover or actually true I have yet to find out...

As I continue to try to piece together what happened down there, I find that one option keeps popping up with pretty strong evidence...

The entire existence of "OSWALD in Mexico" was a story orchestrated by David Phillips, Goodpasture and possible Hunt..with the FBI providing the bogus evidence... knowing full well that he was elsewhere doing work that could not be divulged... infiltration of Left Wing groups and reporting their intentions to the FBI. 

I believe the CIA is involved simply because so many of the players were from outside the US that they stretched their mandate to include domestic intelligence on those who may take the info to those who need it outside the US....

It was much more likely Oswald was an FBI asset and a CIA informant simply due to where he'd been and what he'd done.  The conflict for me begins at Atsugi - a covert CIA location for U-2 spying and intelligence gathering...

From what I can tell... he was in reality an aircraft mechanic, not a radar operator...  gives Harvey and Lee another notch in the "Pro" column

DJ

1865260607_OswaldbotharadaroperatorANDmechanic.jpg.b66edb596daff2ccc56f1f7fd7e2f3cf.jpg