The Education Forum

The Mysterious Life and Death of James McCord

8 hours ago, Dawn Meredith said:

Doug: Did Hunt ever talk with you about the Watergate plane crash? I remember that period so very well. Just from what was reported in the paper I knew it was sabotage.  Hunt must have as well.

Dawn

Dawn: For legal reasons dealing with the federal grand jury investigating Watergate that had subpoenaed me  on June 28, 1972, I only saw Hunt three times after Watergate broke. The first was when he retained me on June 17 hours after the arrests at the DNC, the second was at Dorothy's funeral in December 1972 following her death in the plane crash, and the third was just before he entered prison in 1975 .to serve his sentence.

At Dorothy's funeral Howard walked across the parking lot and embraced me with tears flowing down his cheeks. We had no conversation then as FBI agents were all around taking pictures. We never talked about it at the dinner in 1975 just before he entered prison.

I  believe Howard was the cause of Dorothy being killed in December. If you listen to the youtube telephone conversation when Hunt called Colson in November and attempted to blackmail the White House for "hush" money, you will realize that Howard was creating a situation that required a reaction and the reaction was Dorothy had to be killed the next month as a warning to him to shut up. He got the message and pled guilty in January at the start of the first Watergate trial.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Dawn: For legal reasons dealing with the federal grand jury investigating Watergate that had subpoenaed me  on June 28, 1972, I only saw Hunt three times after Watergate broke. The first was when he retained me on June 17 hours after the arrests at the DNC, the second was at Dorothy's funeral in December 1972 following her death in the plane crash, and the third was just before he entered prison in 1975 .to serve his sentence.

At Dorothy's funeral Howard walked across the parking lot and embraced me with tears flowing down his cheeks. We had no conversation then as FBI agents were all around taking pictures. We never talked about it at the dinner in 1975 just before he entered prison.

I  believe Howard was the cause of Dorothy being killed in December. If you listen to the youtube telephone conversation when Hunt called Colson in November and attempted to blackmail the White House for "hush" money, you will realize that Howard was creating a situation that required a reaction and the reaction was Dorothy had to be killed the next month as a warning to him to shut up. He got the message and pled guilty in January at the start of the first Watergate trial.

Wow.  So who blew up the plane to shut him up?  I can think of only one source with the motive and ability to do so.

Edited by Ron Bulman

14 hours ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Charles Colson alleged that the CIA blew up the plane.  

When I first saw the three names from the Nixon White House in the paper who went to positions of authority with the NTSB, airlines, etc I thought it was on Nixon's order. But later I would come to agree with Colson. 

Thank you Doug, your reply tells me what I had guessed about Hunt's knowledge.  By chance I met a big wig from CBS a few years later who knew Michelle Clark and he informed me that her death was investigated and concluded an accident. No I did not believe him.

Dawn

I am thinking that the plane was brought down by deceptive ground guidance systems. The plane was guided down too low, short of the airport, such that it could not recover. There were a number of survivors and no reports of an explosion. IRRC there were ground guidance systems that were OOS at the time.

22 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

I am thinking that the plane was brought down by deceptive ground guidance systems. The plane was guided down too low, short of the airport, such that it could not recover. There were a number of survivors and no reports of an explosion. IRRC there were ground guidance systems that were OOS at the time.

For all: Sherman Skolnick's exhaustive investigation of the crash is probably still online, and is digested in St. John Hunt's book, Dorothy.

3 hours ago, David Andrews said:

For all: Sherman Skolnick's exhaustive investigation of the crash is probably still online, and is digested in St. John Hunt's book, Dorothy.

Thanks David, I have not read Dorothy, but I did read some of skolnik’s work. I very well may have formed my take on that accident from him.

I just finished reading Dorothy (St John Hunt) which includes a lengthy essay in the appendix by Skolnick.   The circumstances of the crash are filled with more questions than answers, although it appears that the FBI and the NTSB ruled the crash a result of pilot error.

One thing that caught my eye while reading about the crash was a discussion about some of the other people who also died on the plane.  On the plane were at least two people working for Northern Natural Gas Company in relation to charges dealing with John Mitchell doing something which financially benefitted the El Paso Natural Gas Company.  The reason this jumped out at me was because I remembered recently reading about the El Paso Natural Gas Company in another book.

In Spooks (Jim Hougan), there is a story about a dispute between the El Paso Natural Gas Company and the Tennessee Gas Transmission Company.  The story goes back and forth and mentions several members of the Maheu agency, past and present, including Joe Shimon, Johnny Frank and Tom LaVenia, who apparently worked on El Paso's behalf.

El Paso Natural Gas apparently had some very good contacts.

Dan E. Moldea wrote on Facebook today [photograph could not be reproduced]:

47 years ago today, five burglars broke into the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C. The arrests of these five men led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon twenty-six months later.

One of the three arresting officers of the Watergate burglars was MPD Detective Carl Shoffler, a top intelligence officer and organized-crime expert who turned twenty-seven years old that same day. Others making the arrests were Carl’s partners that night, Sergeant Paul Leeper and Officer John Barrett.

Attached is a photograph of Carl—who was like a big brother to me, with his mitt on my left shoulder—at a party for my 1995 book about the murder of Senator Robert Kennedy. Sadly, a year later, at age 51, Carl died of pancreatitis.

By chance, I was present in the ICU stall with Carl’s wife and children, as well as MPD detective Tony Morris, at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore at the moment of Carl’s death. I felt honored to witness this sad event. Also, I delivered one of the five eulogies at his memorial service a few days later.

BTW: Years earlier, while dealing with a personal-security crisis, Carl brought a carload of his treasure-trove of secret intelligence and organized-crime files to my home and asked me to keep them safe. Entrusted by Carl, I kept possession of the legendary Shoffler files—without any drama—for about six months before his security problem was finally resolved. . . . The files are now rightfully with his oldest son, a police detective.

God bless Carl Shoffler on his 74th birthday. (June 17, 1945-July 13, 1996)

Dan Moldea did not know Shoffler when Watergate broke. Shoffler hoped by destroying the Nixon presidency that he would become the world's most famous detective. He was a street smart detective but a truly evil person. His quest for fame and celebrity eluded him. When you read the staff reports of the Senate Watergate Committee and the Special Watergate Prosecutor his last name is constantly misspelled. Those in power knew what he had done and as a result  99.9999 percent of Americans alive today would not know who he was if his name were mentioned.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:41 PM, David Andrews said:

I have not read St Johns book on Dorthy. Is it mostly about the plane crash or more of a biography? After reading the book and watching interviews he did with his father on the JFK assassination I do not find him credible.

Sherman Skolnick's lengthy and exhaustive research on the Hunt plane crash, and the minutiae of his court battles with the NTSB, seem to have disappeared from the internet.  An appendix in St John Hunt's Dorothy digests these.  The Amazon page "Look Inside" feature offers smple Skolnick pages at the end of the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorothy-Amoral-Dangerous-Woman-Watergates-ebook/dp/B015VN46XW

Anyone who can find me Skolnick's complete account online will be rewarded with a kiss from my withered lips, and the tears from my parchment cheeks.

35 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Sherman Skolnick's lengthy and exhaustive research on the Hunt plane crash, and the minutiae of his court battles with the NTSB, seem to have disappeared from the internet.  An appendix in St John Hunt's Dorothy digests these.  The Amazon page "Look Inside" feature offers smple Skolnick pages at the end of the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorothy-Amoral-Dangerous-Woman-Watergates-ebook/dp/B015VN46XW

Anyone who can find me Skolnick's complete account online will be rewarded with a kiss from my withered lips, and the tears from my parchment cheeks.

I had the whole thing saved as text in my research storage thread. I deleted it after leaving unread for a long time.

i am trying to remember the title of it.

Edited by Michael Clark

44 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Found it....

http://www.apfn.org/skolnicksreport/shistory.html

http://www.apfn.org/skolnicksreport/shistory2.html

http://www.apfn.org/skolnicksreport/shistory3.html

All from this page:

http://www.apfn.org/skolnicksreport/index.html

No kisses required...

Edited by Michael Clark