The Education Forum

Walt Brown's new book

2 hours ago, Evan Marshall said:

As far as the accuracy potential of any Dallas PD personnel, Texas is hunting country and I suspect there would be a ton of DPD folks who could have made the shot.

Sure, it is. But not more so than any other part of the South. I've grown up around those people, but I don't know that they could hit a smaller moving target, going down an incline. Hitting a deer or other mammal is hitting the side of a barn comparatively speaking. What's more, most people hunt from so called 'blinds' which means they have their target at very close range. Closer than the distance that JFK was from the fence, or any other possible locations there in DP.

19 minutes ago, Darrell Curtis said:

Sure, it is. But not more so than any other part of the South. I've grown up around those people, but I don't know that they could hit a smaller moving target, going down an incline. Hitting a deer or other mammal is hitting the side of a barn comparatively speaking. What's more, most people hunt from so called 'blinds' which means they have their target at very close range. Closer than the distance that JFK was from the fence, or any other possible locations there in DP.

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on your definition of expert and the standards required. I was trained and qualified as "a sniper" in Detroit. Years later when I was involved in training the SWAT guys in Detroit that the standard I had qualified at would have been more accurately described as a "police marksman".