The Education Forum

The Murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer

You know, just the opening bit about MPM having been "gunned down in Georgetown" strikes one strange, when it's put that way.  Did the Meyer shooting fit into any pattern of gun violence between strangers in DC for that time?  Was the towpath dangerous during the day?  What the hell was Raymond Crump doing in that neighborhood, pursuing the pleasures he claimed to be enjoying that day?  Did others in Crump's circle use the towpath woods for these pursuits?  Did Crump frequent the towpath woods, or did he have daytime haunts closer to home?  Looking at the background of this incident might produce questionable anomalies.

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

You know, just the opening bit about MPM having been "gunned down in Georgetown" strikes one strange, when it's put that way.  Did the Meyer shooting fit into any pattern of gun violence between strangers in DC for that time?  Was the towpath dangerous during the day?  What the hell was Raymond Crump doing in that neighborhood, pursuing the pleasures he claimed to be enjoying that day?  Did others in Crump's circle use the towpath woods for these pursuits?  Did Crump frequent the towpath woods, or did he have daytime haunts closer to home?  Looking at the background of this incident might produce questionable anomalies.

I walked that towpath many times when I was a student at Georgetown University from 1956-1960. Mary Meyer was killed in 1964. From the film the towpath looked the same as when I walked it. It was easily accessible from the Georgetown section of Washington and especially from the campus of the university. To get to the towpath from the campus one had to first go down a step series of stone steps made famous from a scene in the movie, The Exorcist. In those days Georgetown was an extremely safe place to live. I never once sensed any danger.

If a crime like that happened today, somebody would have taken photos or filmed part of the scene to allow a possible ID of the mysterious Nash Rambler which conveniently drove itself away from the crime scene a few hours after the murder.    

So if Mary Meyer was murdered by someone other than Ray Crump, then what could have been the motivation?  Her mysterious diary?  What on earth could she have written that made that kind of a difference?  While it would have been an embarrassment to the Kennedy family if her affair with JFK was made public in 1964, there were surely larger scandals in DC.

32 minutes ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

If a crime like that happened today, somebody would have taken photos or filmed part of the scene to allow a possible ID of the mysterious Nash Rambler which conveniently drove itself away from the crime scene a few hours after the murder.    

So if Mary Meyer was murdered by someone other than Ray Crump, then what could have been the motivation?  Her mysterious diary?  What on earth could she have written that made that kind of a difference?  While it would have been an embarrassment to the Kennedy family if her affair with JFK was made public in 1964, there were surely larger scandals in DC.

Since Angleton seemed to have an inordinate interest in the diaries, I would assume that Mary knew too much and her diary was dangerous in the wrong hands.