The Education Forum

Ian Griggs has passed away.

Guest Bart Kamp

I regret to inform all students of the JFK Assassination that Ian Griggs has passed away this morning, peacefully in his sleep.

At his nursing home, he had a bad cough for a number of weeks and the doctor arranged for an x-ray at hospital. The x-ray found fluid on a lung, but they also had others concerns.  A subsequent scan revealed a large tumour in his abdomen.  They are not sure how long he had had it or why it wasn't diagnosed previously.

Based on the medical advice, taking into account his already weak condition, it has been decided that he would not receive any treatment to tackle the tumour. On balance, the treatment would not have improved his quality of life and it would probably have caused him unnecessary pain and distress.  On Wednesday 15th May, he was moved into a Palliative Care unit in hospital.  There he was made comfortable and was free of any pain until he passed away.

The funeral arrangements will be made in the next week or two and will probably take place in mid-June.  i will pass on the details as soon as they are known.

R.I.P. Ian Griggs.
Edited by Bart Kamp

For those people like myself who did not know who this fellow was:

▼ Primary Sources ▼

Ian Griggs

Ian Griggs

Ian Griggs was born at Hornchurch, Essex, in 1939. Griggs was a Ministry of Defence Police Officer (1971 to 1994). He has been involved in researching the assassination of John F. Kennedy since 1966.

Griggs has visited Dallas on twelve occasions and has travelled extensively throughout the United States in order to study the case. He has met and liaised with numerous eyewitnesses to the assassination, fellow researchers, journalists, police officers, authors, etc. in the USA, Canada and Europe.

In 1993 Ian Griggs appeared on BBC-TV Breakfast Time. He was also a guest on the live San Francisco cable TV show Assassination Update and at other times on various US television and radio stations. In 1994 Ian Griggs was a member of the International Perspectives panel at the Assassination Symposium on John F. Kennedy (ASK) held in Dallas, Texas.

Ian Griggs presented major research papers to the COPA Conference in Washington DC in October 1995, to the First Conference of The Fourth Decade in Fredonia, NY in July 1996 and to five November in Dallas conferences of JFK-Lancer in Dallas (1996-2000). In 1998 he received the JFK-Lancer New Frontier Award "in appreciation of your contribution of new evidence and furthering the study of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy."

Ian Griggs has had five major articles published in leading US journal The Fourth Decade and is a regular contributor to the quarterly US research journal The Assassination Chronicles. He has contributed research articles to US journal JFK/Deep Politics Quarterly and to British journals Dallas '63 and The Dealey Plaza Echo. He has also contributed research articles to internet journals Fair Play Magazine, JFK: The Voice of Reason (UK) and JFK Link (Australia). His comprehensive research manuscript on the assassination, Kennedy Assassinated! - Oswald Murdered! was published in Dallas in November 1994. It deals with the manner in which the British media handled the news of the two killings in November 1963.

Edited by John Butler

I read his book and met him once in Dallas.

A really good guy who was a police detective in England.

His book, No Case to Answer, has some interesting essays in it.  His work on the paper bag,  Harry Holmes, the rifle, Elrod, the line ups and Howard Brennan, and above all the Helsinki hotels, was quite good.

I have a surprisingly small library of JFK books.  Since, having read many too many, I have concluded most of the 1500 or so are not worth reading or keeping.  But his I have on my shelf.

RIP Ian.

Edited by James DiEugenio

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I read his book and met him once in Dallas.

A really good guy who was a police detective in England.

His book, No Case to Answer, has some interesting essays in it.  His work on the paper bag,  Harry Holmes, the rifle, Elrod, the line ups and Howard Brennan, and above all the Helsinki hotels, was quite good.

I have a surprisingly small library of JFK books.  Since, having read may too many, I have concluded most of the 1500 or so are not worth reading or keeping.  But his I have on my shelf.

RIP Ian.

(Jim, your latest book is my very favorite)

Ian was a great guy and both his book and his research was very good. His greatest achievement (in my opinion): showing that it was impossible to assemble the Mannlicher Carcano with a dime in any sort of reasonable time for LHO to have "done it." Also, even using a (never found) screw driver, the rifle would not have been usable because it was not SIGHTED IN.

I met Ian a few times at Lancer Conferences and exchanged a number of emails with him re the rifle and bag. He was quite gracious, and a bit surprising at times. As I recall he was quite taken with Bjork--and even incorporated her name in his email address. I seem to remember asking him about it, but don't recall his response. Perhaps someone else can fill out the story. 

Thanks Vince.

Who is Bjork Pat?

This is indeed sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Ian on two different occasions in Dallas during Lancer Conference appearances. He was most gracious and never failed to respond to any requests for information I made of him over the years. His work on members of the Dallas Police Department was a remains first rate. As a fellow "old guard" researcher he was someone I considered a friend and he will be missed.

RIP Ian.

1 hour ago, Daniel Rice said:

Icelandic singer?

Precisely

Björk Guðmundsdóttir (/bjɜːrk/; Icelandic: [ˈpjœr̥k] (About this soundlisten); born 21 November 1965) is an Icelandic singer, songwriter, composer, actress, record producer, and DJ. Over her four-decade career, she has developed an eclectic musical style that draws on a range of influences and genres spanning electronic, pop, experimental, classical, trip hop, IDM, and avant-gardemusic.

Born and raised in Reykjavík, she began her music career at age 11 and first gained international recognition as the lead singer of the alternative rock band the Sugarcubes, whose 1987 single "Birthday" was a hit on US and UK indie stations and a favourite among music critics.[1] After the band's breakup, Björk embarked on a solo career in 1993, coming to prominence as a solo artist with albums such as Debut (1993), Post (1995), and Homogenic (1997), while collaborating with a range of artists and exploring a variety of multimedia projects.

Several of Björk's albums have reached the top 20 on the Billboard 200 chart, the most recent being Vulnicura (2015). Björk has had 31 singles reach the top 40 on pop charts around the world, with 22 top 40 hits in the UK, including the top 10 hits "It's Oh So Quiet", "Army of Me", and "Hyperballad".[2][3] She is reported to have sold between 20 and 40 million records worldwide as of 2015.[4][5] She has won the 2010 Polar Music Prize from the Royal Swedish Academy of Music in recognition of her "deeply personal music and lyrics, her precise arrangements and her unique voice."[6] Björk was included in Time's 2015 list of the 100 most influential people in the world.[7][8] She was ranked both sixtieth and eighty-first in Rolling Stone's 100 greatest singers and songwriters lists respectively. Björk also won five BRIT Awards, and has been nominated for 15 Grammy Awards.

Outside her music career, Björk starred in the 2000 Lars von Trier film Dancer in the Dark, for which she won the Best Actress Award at the 2000 Cannes Film Festival,[9] and was nominated for Academy Award for Best Original Song for "I've Seen It All". Her 2011 album Biophilia was marketed as an interactive app album with its own education program. Björk has also been an advocate for environmental causes in her home country Iceland. A full-scale retrospective exhibition dedicated to Björk was held at the New York Museum of Modern Art in 2015.[10]

On 5/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, Bart Kamp said:

I regret to inform all students of the JFK Assassination that Ian Griggs has passed away this morning, peacefully in his sleep.

I am sorry to hear about the death of my old friend. For many years he was one of the leading figures in the Dealey Plaza UK: The British JFK Assassination Research Group. (http://jfkassassinationuk.com/)

I have updated my page on him. 

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKgriggs.htm

This coming Saturday, the 25th, DPUK will devote its meeting at The Flying Horde in Finsbury Sq to Ian, where we will play a few videos and read some of his articles and share a few good stories. Might video it, if so I shall share it in due course.

• 3 weeks later...

Ian's funeral will be on the 19th of June at 13:45hrs at Harlow Cemetery.

Edited by Bart Kamp

I had the pleasure of meeting Ian at NID.  He was a dedicated researcher and a very nice man.  Ian also published my essay on SS100X in the DPUK Echo: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=16241&search=pamela_mcelwain#relPageId=26&tab=page.  I am so sorry to hear this.

Edited by Pamela Brown