The Education Forum

Two Oswalds in the Texas Theater

On 7/23/2019 at 7:52 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

Deputy Sheriff Bill Courson wrote, “I started up the stairs of the balcony because that is where the call said that he was hiding. I'm reasonably satisfied in my own mind that I met Oswald coming down. I was looking for a man in a white or light colored jacket because at that time I hadn't been told that he had discarded the jacket and that it had been found.”  He added that the man was wearing a patterned shirt.

Deputy Sheriff Buddy Walthers saw Cunningham, Taylor, and Toney questioning a young white man on the stairs.  These men were told by the “manager on duty” that the young man “had been in the theater since about 12:05 pm” and so they released him.  The information was erroneous.  The theater didn’t open until 12:45, and manager John Callahan left before the police arrived.  The only employees present were Postal, Burroughs, and the projectionist, none of whom identified themselves as the “manager on duty.”  

Who provided this man with a false alibi?  If this is the same guy who was led out the back door and put in a squad car, I don't know if it should be considered an arrest or not, despite the two Dallas Police reports that say Oswald was arrested in the balcony.  

Jim, informative post for me.  Thanks.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, Cory Santos said:

Where is there a report saying anyone was taken out the back and put in a car?   I still have not se??????

Edited by Ron Bulman

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Stingfelllow's report on the 23rd about Oswald's arrest in the balcony, as well as Tippit's death certificate have survived.

Ron fix the above quote.  I did not say all the things you have quoted above.

Edited by Cory Santos

On 7/23/2019 at 2:38 PM, Cory Santos said:

Jim I appreciate your work.  However, this shows someone was questioned in the stairs.  This conflicts with being arrested in the balcony.  Two separate areas.   So it was not the same person.  

Where is there a report saying anyone was taken out the back and put in a car?   I still have not seen that.  

The more I reread theater testimony, particularly Postal's, the less credible Butch's testimony is.  He did not see Oswald go in.  Period.  So he cannot say he was there at 1.  

Here is what I said Ron so please fix your post because you are attributing words to me which I did not say.

Butch Burroughs could not have seen “Oswald” enter the Texas Theater if, as Burroughs told the Warren Commission he suspected, “Oswald” went directly up to the balcony after entering the building.  Burroughs’ concession stand was located behind the closed doors in the picture below of the theater lobby.

Although he clearly saw one “Oswald” and for decades claimed he saw two “Oswalds” inside the theater, the Warren Commission apparently never asked him the critical question: When did he first see “Oswald” inside the theater?  He later claimed it was about 1:15 when “Oswald” purchased popcorn from him, which happens to be the same time the WC wants us to believe Tippit was shot.  

Although the list of theater patrons suspiciously disappeared, a few of them have been located over the years.  One of was Jack Davis, who confirmed the approximate time “Oswald” went into the concession area where Burroughs was working.

To those who say they will only pay attention to witness statements made in 1963 or 1964, I ask, “Explain why the list of theater patrons was lost?"

Tex_Theat_Lob.jpg

On 8/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jim Hargrove said:

Although the list of theater patrons suspiciously disappeared, a few of them have been located over the years.  One of was Jack Davis, who confirmed the approximate time “Oswald” went into the concession area where Burroughs was working.

Jim,

It's kind of interesting. Both Marvin Buhk and E.E. Taylor said in their after-action reports (DPD Archives Box 2, Folder# 7)

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box2.htm

that a witness from the Theater was brought to City Hall and his affidavit was taken by J.B. Toney.

Toney himself did not mention anything about taking this affidavit in his after-action report.

The name Jack Davis does not appear in the DPD Archive index.

1) Who was this witness?

2) Was this witness the person who was taken out the back of the Theater and put in a squad car?

3) In his after-action report, E.E. Taylor wrote that he, Lt. Cunningham and J.B Tony (sic) remained at the Theater and took the names and addresses of the occupants of the Theater. Here is what he wrote:

image.png.d6566d426c474a16f8e1fe40518b6685.png

In his report, Taylor doesn't say anything about this witness having seen Oswald enter the Theater without paying a ticket, so I doubt he is talking about Johnny Brewer, If Jack Davis was taken to City Hall, what happened to his affidavit? Davis was not questioned by the WC either. I have read that Davis was 18 in 1963. Do we know anything more about his life?

4) Did this witness look like Oswald? I personally think this "witness" makes for a stronger case for the guy taken out the back and being put in a squad car than a second Oswald.

5) What happened to this "witness's Affidavit? Why doesn't Toney mention this in his after-action Report?

6) Butch Burroughs does not appear in the DPD Archives Index either. In his WC testimony, Burroughs wasn't asked, and he didn't say anything about being taken down to City Hall and having an Affidavit taken.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Steve,

Lots of interesting questions, as always.  

Jack Davis was interviewed by a number of researchers (not sure who was first) but among them were Jim Marrs and John Armstrong.  I think I posted before a note from Mr. Davis to John A. in which he made a slight correction about his seat position in the theater.  Jack’s note below is immediately above the theater diagram John gave him.

Davis_1.jpg

Davis_2.jpg

At the time John interviewed him in the late 1990s, Mr. Davis was still working as a Dallas-based Christian Evangelist.

As for speculation about who was brought out the back door and placed into a squad car, practically nothing adds up.  Why are there two DPD reports indicating “Oswald” was arrested in the balcony?  The arrest circumstances are and were FAMOUS!

Why did all evidence of that unidentified theater witness disappear?  Why did all evidence of all the theater patrons also disappear?  Why for all these years has it been up to private citizens, working on shoestring budgets, to track them down?  Little doubt we both agree that something substantial appears to have been hidden about events at the Texas Theater that fateful afternoon. 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, Rick McTague said:

At 1:23, the narrator says that the gun the officer is holding (a revolver) was the gun used to murder Tippitt.  He's holding the gun and the throw-down wallet.  This is the first I've heard of a gun being found at the Tippit murder scene.  What became of this gun?  How does that square with the non-functioning revolver found on LHO in the Texas Theater?  Was this first gun entered into evidence, and what became of it?  It boggles the mind that the shooter would discard 4 out of 6 rounds in the cylinder (something you have to really try to do) and then leave the partially empty murder weapon itself with prints, etc. all over it in the same location - along with the wallet.  If this wasn't a setup for framing LHO I don't know what else it could be!!

Thanks

That's a great question Rick.  How did a gun found at the scene of Tippit's murder by police get into Oswald's hands in the Texas Theater?

11 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

How did a gun found at the scene of Tippit's murder by police get into Oswald's hands in the Texas Theater?

The gun in the Reiland film isn't the Tippit murder weapon. It's TIPPIT'S gun, which had just been given back to the police by witness Ted Callaway.

http://dvp-potpourri.blogspot.com/2009/12/reiland-film-november-22-1963.html

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

Ron, again, fix your quote.  I never said the things you said I did.  Those are your words.

No.  You questioned why there was no documented record of the back door arrest by the DPD.  I mentioned being surprised Detective Stringfellow's statement on the 23rd and Tippit's  death certificate state Oswald was arrested in the Balcony.  Those are Fact's.

11 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

No.  You questioned why there was no documented record of the back door arrest by the DPD.  I mentioned being surprised Detective Stringfellow's statement on the 23rd and Tippit's  death certificate state Oswald was arrested in the Balcony.  Those are Fact's.

Right but you put your response in my quote so it looks like your comment is mine.    That is a mistake in forum posting.  Please take your comments out of the part of my comment you are quoting.

17 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

Right but you put your response in my quote so it looks like your comment is mine.    That is a mistake in forum posting.  Please take your comments out of the part of my comment you are quoting.

Sorry, I didn't understand your request because I didn't realize what had happened until I went back and read the post.  I didn't pay attention to the original post I made quoting you showing up IN your post.  I honestly don't know how that happened.  I posted just like I do all the time when quoting another member.  When I went back and re read my post, quoting you, I thought that's weird.  Then I though will it just let me edit my line out?  It did.  I kept pushing the backspace and it started editing out your post, and let me add question marks, as you can see if you scroll back up to it.  That's very disturbing to me.  I don't imagine you or anyone else on here want someone else editing their posts for them and I know I don't.  Once again, I don't know how this happened.  A one time glitch?  I don't know.  But if it happens again to me, you or anyone else I think we should alert the administrators.  It would be a problem that should be addressed immediately.

Just now, Ron Bulman said:

Sorry, I didn't understand your request because I didn't realize what had happened until I went back and read the post.  I didn't pay attention to the original post I made quoting you showing up IN your post.  I honestly don't know how that happened.  I posted just like I do all the time when quoting another member.  When I went back and re read my post, quoting you, I thought that's weird.  Then I though will it just let me edit my line out?  It did.  I kept pushing the backspace and it started editing out your post, and let me add question marks, as you can see if you scroll back up to it.  That's very disturbing to me.  I don't imagine you or anyone else on here want someone else editing their posts for them and I know I don't.  Once again, I don't know how this happened.  A one time glitch?  I don't know.  But if it happens again to me, you or anyone else I think we should alert the administrators.  It would be a problem that should be addressed immediately.

Thank you 

8 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

That's very disturbing to me.  I don't imagine you or anyone else on here want someone else editing their posts for them and I know I don't.

Ron,

That happened to me once; but in that case, another member deliberately changed what I had originally written, so that he could go back ans refute me. It wasn't even a case of being a misquote.

I was furious.

Steve Thomas