The Education Forum

NATO's Secret Armies, Operation Gladio and JFK

12 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Interesting post - much appreciated. It is certainly true that Gladio and Condor were part of a consistent global strategy. There are undoubtedly many other such operations. 

The question I wish we would all ponder is what about our current endless war with Islamists - George Bush’s War on Terror?

Rob makes the point that it was very illogical for the Italian Communists to engage in terrorist activities at the very time that they were making public relation gains. Who benefits? Certainly not the Italian Communists. So why would they do it? We know now that they didn’t, that the acts were perpetrated by right wing forces but blamed on the left through a very carefully orchestrated propaganda campaign by the press and the government. 

Shouldnt we be asking why Islamists would engage in a global war they cannot win? What purpose does it serve? Who benefits? 

Paul,

I read an interesting paper on this subject awhile ago-- a 1992 CATO Institute Policy Analysis 177.

The “Green Peril”: Creating the Islamic Fundamentalist Threat.

By Leon T. Hadar (Jerusalem Post)

August 27, 1992

Executive Summary

Now that the Cold War is becoming a memory, America’s foreign policy establishment has begun searching for new enemies. Possible new villains include “instability” in Europe—ranging from German resurgence to new Russian imperialism—the “vanishing” ozone layer, nuclear proliferation, and narco-terrorism. Topping the list of potential new global bogeymen, however, are the Yellow Peril, the alleged threat to American economic security emanating from East Asia, and the so-called Green Peril (green is the color of Islam). That peril is symbolized by the Middle Eastern Moslem fundamentalist—the “Fundie,” to use a term coined by The Economist[1]—a Khomeini-like creature, armed with a radical ideology, equipped with nuclear weapons, and intent on launching a violent jihad against Western civilization.

George Will even suggested that the 1,000-year battle between Christendom and Islam might be breaking out once more when he asked, “Could it be that 20 years from now we will be saying, not that they’re at the gates of Vienna again, but that, in fact, the birth of Mohammed is at least as important as the birth of Christ, that Islamic vitality could be one of the big stories of the next generations?”[2]

Read the Full Policy Analysis

PDF (103.18 KB)

object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa177.pdf

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God is that interesting.  Thanks.

Rob's article is now number three at Kennedys and King. I fully expect it to go to number one.

Willan has now taken notice of it.  I hope he gets interviews with both Genser and Willan for us.

Utterly fascinating subject.  I like what he exposed about Aginter Press.  Very few people know that Kennedy did everything he could to free Angola and Mozambique from Portugal.  

When they refused, he sent aid to the rebels.  Therefore it was not just the OAS who were after him.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 7/24/2019 at 9:02 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Paul,

I read an interesting paper on this subject awhile ago-- a 1992 CATO Institute Policy Analysis 177.

The “Green Peril”: Creating the Islamic Fundamentalist Threat.

By Leon T. Hadar (Jerusalem Post)

August 27, 1992

Executive Summary

Now that the Cold War is becoming a memory, America’s foreign policy establishment has begun searching for new enemies. Possible new villains include “instability” in Europe—ranging from German resurgence to new Russian imperialism—the “vanishing” ozone layer, nuclear proliferation, and narco-terrorism. Topping the list of potential new global bogeymen, however, are the Yellow Peril, the alleged threat to American economic security emanating from East Asia, and the so-called Green Peril (green is the color of Islam). That peril is symbolized by the Middle Eastern Moslem fundamentalist—the “Fundie,” to use a term coined by The Economist[1]—a Khomeini-like creature, armed with a radical ideology, equipped with nuclear weapons, and intent on launching a violent jihad against Western civilization.

George Will even suggested that the 1,000-year battle between Christendom and Islam might be breaking out once more when he asked, “Could it be that 20 years from now we will be saying, not that they’re at the gates of Vienna again, but that, in fact, the birth of Mohammed is at least as important as the birth of Christ, that Islamic vitality could be one of the big stories of the next generations?”[2]

Read the Full Policy Analysis

PDF (103.18 KB)

object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa177.pdf

Having read the entire report, skimming parts, it seems to me to be largely propaganda, though very interesting since it was very predictive of events that followed over the ensuing decades. It doesn’t address terrorism probably because it was written in 1992. It also focuses on the objectives of many countries, less than our own, as if our foreign policies were largely responsive. That seems self serving to me. 

10 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Having read the entire report, skimming parts, it seems to me to be largely propaganda, though very interesting since it was very predictive of events that followed over the ensuing decades. It doesn’t address terrorism probably because it was written in 1992. It also focuses on the objectives of many countries, less than our own, as if our foreign policies were largely responsive. That seems self serving to me. 

This 1992 "Creating the Green Peril" policy paper by Leon Hadar seems like an elaboration on the original 1982 Oded Yinon Plan-- the  intellectual predecessor of the Neocon's Wolfowitz/Bush Doctrine.  Yinon wrote for the Jerusalem Post, (like Hadar) and was a foreign policy adviser of Ariel Sharon.  Yinon envisaged a plan to improve Israel's security by fomenting fractures of Israel's neighbors along ethnic and religious lines-- Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, and, especially, Iraq.

It worked.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

It worked.

Indeed.  When I first read Bob Woodward's Iraq War histories -- Plan of Attack and State of Denial-- it was evident that the Wolfowitz/Rumsfeld De-Baathification mandate in May of 2003 directly precipitated the Iraq civil war (and insurrection against U.S. troops.)  When Neocon L. Paul Bremer replaced General Jay Garner as regional governor/commander of Iraq in May, Garner told Rumsfeld that "it will take 50 years to stabilize this country if you disband the Iraqi Army!"

It occurred to me later that destabilizing Iraq was possibly the Neocon/Bremer goal all along-- to turn Iraq into another Lebanon, a weakly divided nation of warring factions!

Sibel has done some decent stuff. But I’m not a fan of her work on ‘Gladio B’ whatsoever. Despite the probability of that sort of thing still going on, she’s never presented a shred of evidence that there’s a program known under that particular name. Yet - from memory - she did a big interview where she stated such a program was ongoing, and was known under that name, and we have to just take the existence of a program called ‘Gladio B’, and all the attendant details she hangs off that particular story, on her say so. Not to mention that ‘Gladio B’ might be one of the dumber names I’ve heard attributed to a supposedly covert program, given that the Francovich Gladio documentary aired on UK television in 1992. If I worked in a government department and learned that my colleagues were involved in assembling something called Northwoods Part Two, I’d probably call in sick, then probably take up a different career, possibly involving pet care or bartending.

Ever since Sibel came out with the phrase there’s been a substantial amount of online commentary citing it as a real program, similar to Northwoods, or Gladio, or Operation Condor. All those operations and plans have online documentation proving their existence. Particular Gladio - the original - care of the documents and parliamentary reports cited in Ganser’s book. ‘Gladio B’ doesn’t have any documentation proving its existence at all. I just Googled it and the front page of articles all cite, ‘See the claims of Sibel Edmonds’, or variations thereof for evidence, and nothing else. I hope the continual references to it that pop up in threads like these don’t muddy the waters for researchers or readers following the factual trail.

8 hours ago, Anthony Thorne said:

I’m not a fan of her work on ‘Gladio B’ whatsoever. Despite the probability of that sort of thing still going on, she’s never presented a shred of evidence that there’s a program known under that particular name

Hi Anthony,

I think you raise a very interesting point. Especially when you say here:

8 hours ago, Anthony Thorne said:

she stated such a program was ongoing, and was known under that name

Until now, I had always assumed that this term was used as a shorthand or "stub" term, referring to what we all assumed was a global, Gladio-like post-1990 operation, yet one with an unknown name. Sort of like when Vito Miceli, the acting director of the SID [Servizio Informazioni Difesa, Italy’s foreign intelligence service], was accused of working for a "Super-SID" before the magistrates discovered the term "Gladio." 

Is Sibel still under a partial gag order? And could this be related to the fact that she may know certain things but cannot speak of specifics past a certain point?

In any case, thanks for this good information.

2 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

Sibelius Edmunds: part 1 of an 8 part series on Gladio B

I read Sibel’s book The Lone Gladio. It’s cheap writing but the point is clear - we have no idea how convoluted things are out there. I agree with that. Perhaps she is under a gag order. She was once in a position to have gleaned some Deep State secrets.

2 hours ago, Anthony Thorne said:

Sibel has done some decent stuff. But I’m not a fan of her work on ‘Gladio B’ whatsoever. Despite the probability of that sort of thing still going on, she’s never presented a shred of evidence that there’s a program known under that particular name. Yet - from memory - she did a big interview where she stated such a program was ongoing, and was known under that name, and we have to just take the existence of a program called ‘Gladio B’, and all the attendant details she hangs off that particular story, on her say so. Not to mention that ‘Gladio B’ might be one of the dumber names I’ve heard attributed to a supposedly covert program, given that the Francovich Gladio documentary aired on UK television in 1992. If I worked in a government department and learned that my colleagues were involved in assembling something called Northwoods Part Two, I’d probably call in sick, then probably take up a different career, possibly involving pet care or bartending.

Ever since Sibel came out with the phrase there’s been a substantial amount of online commentary citing it as a real program, similar to Northwoods, or Gladio, or Operation Condor. All those operations and plans have online documentation proving their existence. Particular Gladio - the original - care of the documents and parliamentary reports cited in Ganser’s book. ‘Gladio B’ doesn’t have any documentation proving its existence at all. I just Googled it and the front page of articles all cite, ‘See the claims of Sibel Edmonds’, or variations thereof for evidence, and nothing else. I hope the continual references to it that pop up in threads like these don’t muddy the waters for researchers or readers following the factual trail.

I hear you loud and clear. Gladio B seems like a poor choice of what to call today’s covert terrorism. Let’s just say she made it up. I’d prefer not to shoot the messenger on such an important subject. You say there is no documentation, unlike Gladio and Condor. True that. But how many years passed between the Years of Lead and the documentation revealing that the terrorist events were false flags? 

According to her book, Classified Woman, Sibel Edmonds is under a gag order regarding her work as an FBI translator (Turkish, Farsi, and Azerbaijani) after 9/11. 

The case went to the SCOTUS, as I recall.

That is why she published her fictional narrative -- The Lone Gladio.

It's analogous to the spy novel that Gary Hart wrote after the Church Committee investigations.