The Education Forum

Benavides and Bowley

It doesn't appear to me that there was any confusion on Benavides' part.

We only have Bowley's word that Benavides didn't know how to use the radio.

I had no idea that Bowley worked as a doorman at the Vegas Club and that his wife, Joyce was also a barmaid there.

When Dispatch told the citizen to stay off the air, that they already had that information; that was three minutes after the fact.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/benavide.htm

Mr. BELIN - Then what did you do?
Mr. BENAVIDES - Then I don't know if I opened the car door back further than what it was or not, but anyway, I went in and pulled the radio and I mashed the button and told them that an officer had been shot, and I didn't get an answer, so I said it again, and this guy asked me whereabouts all of a sudden, and I said, on 10th Street. I couldn't remember where it was at at the time. So I looked up and I seen this number and I said 410 East 10th Street.
Mr. BELIN - You saw a number on the house then?
Mr. BENAVIDES - Yes.
Mr. BELIN - All right.
Mr. BENAVIDES - Then he started to--then I don't know what he said; but I put the radio back. I mean, the microphone back up, and this other guy was standing there, so I got up out of the car, and I don't know, I wasn't sure if he heard me, and the other guy sat down in the car.
Mr. BELIN - There was another passerby that stopped?
Mr. BENAVIDES - Yes, sir.
Mr. BELIN - Who was he, do you know?
Mr. BENAVIDES - I couldn't tell you. I don't know who he was.
Mr. BELIN - Was he driving a car or walking?
Mr. BENAVIDES - I don't know. He was just standing there whenever I looked up. He was standing at the door of the car, and I don't know what he said to the officer or the phone, but the officer told him to keep the line clear, or something, and stay off the phone, or something like that. That he already knew about it. So then I turned and walked off. I never did assist him after that at all.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/bowley.htm

AFFIDAVIT IN ANY FACT
THE STATE OF TEXAS
COUNTY OF DALLAS     Affidavit taken 12/2/63

BEFORE ME, Mary Rattan, a Notary Public in and for said County, State of Texas, on this day personally appeared T.F. Bowley w/m/35 of 1454 Summertime Lane, TE6 5965 who, after being by me duly sworn, on oath deposes and says:

On Friday November 22, 1963 I picked up my daughter at the R. L. Thornton School in Singing Hills at about 12:55 pm. I then left the school to pick up my wife who was at work at the Telephone Company at Ninth Street and Zangs Street. I was headed north on Marsalis and turned west on 10th Street. I traveled about a block and noticed a Dallas police squad car stopped in the traffic lane headed east on 10th Street. I saw a police officer lying next to the left front wheel. I stopped my car and got out to go to the scene. I looked at my watch and it said 1:10 pm. Several people were at the scene. When I got there the first thing I did was try to help the officer. He appeared beyond help to me. A man was trying to use the radio in the squad car but stated he didn't know how to operate it. I know how and took the radio from him. I said, "Hello, operator. A police officer has been shot here." The dispatcher asked for the location. I found out the location and told the dispatcher what it was. A few minutes later an ambulance came to the scene.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=205582&relPageId=15&search=T.F._Bowley

image.png.9df64315faf1e52f4b9355e276543d4d.png

A Record from Mary's Database

Record:

BOWLEY, TEMPLE F. "TOM"

Mary's
Comments:

Shown as "Bewley" in error. Representative of Western Electric. Wife: Joyce. Joyce worked as barmaid at Vegas Club during time Bowley worked there as a doorman.

image.png.de3170df943b19c8dc728052325a5ba2.png

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=149247&relPageId=5&search=T.F._Bowley

image.png.dcb9c67aa4a1589527939ca350541901.png

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/tapes2.htm

1:15 PM

Dispatcher

Unit ending in 6.

(Long pause, 15 seconds)

1:16 PM

Citizen

Hello, police operator?

Dispatcher

Go ahead. Go ahead, citizen using the police radio.

Citizen

There's been a shooting out here.

Dispatcher

Where's it at?

Dispatcher

The citizen using the police radio . . .

Citizen

Tenth Street.

Dispatcher

What location on Tenth Street?

Citizen

Between Marsalis and Beckley. It's a police officer. Somebody shot him. What -- what's . . . 404 Tenth Street.

Dispatcher

Can you hear me?

(Man and woman's voices in background)

Dispatcher

Citizen

It's in a police car, number 10.

Dispatcher

Dispatcher (?)

Citizen

Got that?

Citizen

Hello, police operator. Did you get that?

Dispatcher

Attention. Signal 19, police officer, 510 E. Jefferson.

Citizen

Thank you.

35 (Ptm. J.M. Lewis)

259 (unknown)

Dispatcher

The citizen using the police radio: Remain off the radio now.

1:19 PM (three minutes later)

Citizen

Pardon, from out here on Tenth Street, 500 block. This officer just shot. I think he's dead.

Dispatcher

10-4. We have that information. The citizen using the radio: Remain off the radio now.

Steve Thomas

That is really interesting about Bowley working for Ruby.

I think Milo Reech over at DPF first reported on that.  

Did I say anything to you?

9 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

Steve, the 1:19 radio call you highlighted wasn't made by Benavides or Bowley. It's Ted Callaway's radio call.

David,

Thank you.

"Mr. CALLAWAY. I saw a squad car, and by that time there was four or five people that had gathered, a couple of cars had stopped. Then I saw--I went on up to the squad car and saw the police officer lying in the street. I see he had been shot in the head. So the first thing I did, I ran over to the squad car. I didn't know whether anybody reported it or not. So I got on the police radio and called them, and told them a man had been shot, told them the location, I thought the officer was dead. They said we know about it, stay off the air, so I went back."

Steve Thomas