The Education Forum

Is maryferrell.org scrubbed? It looks like it to me; Harold Arrowsmith is no where to be found

If you type in the name "George Lincoln Rockwell" (the Leave it to Beaver looking father of the American Neo-Nazi Movement) into the maryferrell.org search bar, you get:

• 295 essays
  • 5214 reports
  • 52,860 Documents
  • and more, photos, journals, etc.

Obviously Rockwell was an important figure back in the 50's and 60's, whether he had anything to do with the JFK Assassination or Not. (Important enough to base a character on him in the Netflix series The Man in the High Castle.)

You don't have to dig to deep into the files, books and documents, to find out that Rockwell was questioned in the 1958 bombing of a Synagogue in Atlanta. Another associate of Rockwell was also questioned. His name was Harold N. Arrowsmith Jr.

If you type in the name Harold N. Arrowsmith Jr. into the maryferrell.org search, you get nothing. If you just type in "Arrowsmith", you get less than 20 results, most for a guy named Marvin Arrowsmith.

If Harold was irrelevant, maybe the lack of results would not be odd. However, as mentioned, Harold was referenced as being questioned about the bombing with Rockwell. Moreover, according to numerous sources, Harold gave Rockwell $2,500 and printing equipment to get his Nazi movement up and running in 1958. Harold was the "Fat Cat" mentioned in the Rockwell books and files.

I would guess that somewhere in the 52 thousand plus documents in the "Rockwell files" (Rockford Files theme is now in my head) their are some instances of Harold Arrowsmith. Maybe it is a matter of indexing, but I would think the absence of the Arrowsmith name would take a deliberate effort, given the huge amount of references for Rockwell.

Even though Harold N. Arrowsmith can't be found in Maryferrell.org, he does show up once under the CIA Nazi War Crimes Archives.

The single document in that archive makes Harold Noel Arrowsmith Jr. look more important than any association he had with with Rockwell.

Harold was corresponding with a German in 1962, who at the same time was corresponding with all types of famous Nazis, including the relatives of Eichman, Funk, Francois Genoud (a Swiss Banker known for smuggling Nazis) and Otto Skorzeny himself.

More about the lack of files on Harold N. Arrowsmith.

More about German who was writing to Arrowsmith and Skorzeny at the same time in early 1962.

Edited by Robert Wheeler

Wow, what a suggestive thread title....anyway, a brief response your question, although I'm not the best to give it, is to look at the sources of documents on MFF.  The vast majority come from government assassination investigations, from files released to NARA by government agencies.  It is also composed of material that Mary Ferrell collected herself, back in the earliest days of FOIA and and document requests...plus others donated by private researchers like myself.  That means that the site is heavily weighted towards documents related to JFK and the subjects of other government investigations and inquiries. 

And some things are missing, this week I happened to look though some 30 different documents that I obtained from NARA back in the early 90's and found that at least two of them are not online at MFF.  David's suggestion to look at Ernie's material is an excellent one since it is far more heavily weighted to FBI files. When Stu and I were working FBI files on the MLK investigations it turned out that MFF did not turn out to be our primary source and that meant lots of work directly with the FBI and at NARA.

MFF is certainly not the total archival solution, Black Vault, the National Security Archives and university collections have material MFF does not .  Recently David and I have been researching a subject not directly related to JFK and about half the files of interest came from Black Vault.

Of course even MFF has specialty file collections too, from the 1970s and 1960s on Watergate, Iran-Contra etc.  

Actually the best real answer to  your question would be to email Rex Bradford directly with that name and get his take on why it might not show up on MFF.

2 hours ago, David Boylan said:

Robert,

Have you searched Ernie Lazar's collection?

https://archive.org/details/lazarfoia

Thanks for the link. That's a great site and nicely laid out. Their are more hits on Arrowsmith there, mostly related to his "friend" George Rockwell. His name was also used in a NY Daily News Article. I had not seen that before. 

46 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Wow, what a suggestive thread title....anyway, a brief response your question, although I'm not the best to give it, is to look at the sources of documents on MFF.  The vast majority come from government assassination investigations, from files released to NARA by government agencies.  It is also composed of material that Mary Ferrell collected herself, back in the earliest days of FOIA and and document requests...plus others donated by private researchers like myself.  That means that the site is heavily weighted towards documents related to JFK and the subjects of other government investigations and inquiries. 

And some things are missing, this week I happened to look though some 30 different documents that I obtained from NARA back in the early 90's and found that at least two of them are not online at MFF.  David's suggestion to look at Ernie's material is an excellent one since it is far more heavily weighted to FBI files. When Stu and I were working FBI files on the MLK investigations it turned out that MFF did not turn out to be our primary source and that meant lots of work directly with the FBI and at NARA.

MFF is certainly not the total archival solution, Black Vault, the National Security Archives and university collections have material MFF does not .  Recently David and I have been researching a subject not directly related to JFK and about half the files of interest came from Black Vault.

Of course even MFF has specialty file collections too, from the 1970s and 1960s on Watergate, Iran-Contra etc.  

Actually the best real answer to  your question would be to email Rex Bradford directly with that name and get his take on why it might not show up on MFF.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll look into it more. I had heard or read something about MMF recently (not sure where) where the person was skeptical of the site. I have noticed that some of the newer JFK files are indexed in the official Gov. Archives, but not always on MFF. Maybe it's a function of resources. In any case I'm going to compare the Arrowsmith Docs located on the Ernie Lazar site to see if the document exists on MFF, but does not return a hit with "Arrowsmith."

I'll admit the Thread Title is suggestive. That being the case, I figure if google can resort to such blatant censorship with certain search terms, and manipulation of its search algorithms, then a small org. like MFF would be a pushover.

Robert, we certainly want to be as transparent about MFF as possible...just so you know, MFF at this point is pretty much one person - Rex Bradford - from an operational standpoint; Rex does all the software work, including all the interfaces and bringing document files on board.  The Board for MFF includes myself, Bill Simpich, Debra Conway, Jeff Morley and Rex himself.  We do have a number of volunteers who help with projects like the recent work on pseudos and aliases, but the organization is strictly non profit and more a volunteer effort than anything else at this point. Rex also does ongoing communications with the folks at NARA.

For a couple of years the major work was bringing on new document releases and checking on NARA to try and determine that we had all they were claiming to be released...that was a huge project in itself for Rex.

We certainly want to be upfront that the document contents are not totally comprehensive; we have gotten major document shares from the ARRC in the past but at the moment most of the work is going into making searches easier to do and adding aids...like the crypto, psuedo list. 

I'd like to get all the FRUS documents on MFF as State Department often reveals a lot of things the CIA doesn't want to discuss and while they are available from FRUS, they are not really searchable.

As for myself and searches, depending on what sort of document I'm looking for, MFF is usually only one of the places I look but I usually start there because I find searchers easier and the document formatting more useful. On the other hand if I'm looking for a specific document on an individual or project, and its not there I definitely go elsewhere, as with Ernie's FBI files. And if its military - heaven help us all...the service historians can be very helpful with things like regular unit and oral histories but for operations there have been so many changes over the years ....

• 1 month later...

Sorry---I did not see these messages until today.  The most detailed info about Harold Noel Arrowsmith Jr. that I have been able to find is in the FBI investigative file captioned "Arab Participation in the Distribution of Hate Literature in the U.S."   That file includes a series of articles by David Burk (NY Daily News, 1/20/59) which discusses many of the U.S. individuals who circulated hate publications which they often obtained through Arab sources.

See, for example, pages 248 thru 250 of the FBI-Washington Field Office file and also perform a search for "Arrowsmith" to see the David Burk articles---but they are a little difficult to read since the copies are taken from microfilm copies:

https://archive.org/details/ArabParticipationInDistributionOfHateLiteratureWFO10529384pdf/page/n247

Arrowsmith is also discussed on pages 27-28 of Frederick Simonelli's 1999 book, "American Fuhrer: George Lincoln Rockwell and the American Nazi Party"

AND IN

William H. Schmaltz's 1999 biography:  "Hate: George Lincoln Rockwell and the American Nazi Party"

Edited by Ernie Lazar
additional info

As I mentioned in the PM, there are a few links to the CIA Nazi vault and in the other thread. 

Arrowsmith was corresponding with Rechenberg while Rechenberg was corresponding with Skorzeny, among other infamous Nazis. This was early ‘62.

Arrowsmith has $30 million in the bank when he died in the 1980s. His family came from Old New York money. Their are some Lipsenards and Bleekers in the Family Tree. Also, related to Dunn & Bradstreet families.

The most interesting angle to Arrowsmith and his pal George Lincoln Rockwell is the possibility the whole Neo Nazi revival was a school play. That is, Arrowsmith (and a Hooker before that) were asked to fund this new Nazi movement to parry the organic progress of the civil rights objectives.

The anti-Jewish focus of the neo Nazis may also point to another motive besides typical KKK type mayhem. The same year that Arrowsmith started funding Rockwell (1958) is also when Salman Zapiro got  NUMEC up and running with the merger of Apollo Steel and San Toy Mining. 

The AEC was likely looking the other way when the HEU went out the Apollo plants back door. It would have a good plan B to take out Zapiro and contract out the hit to some Neo Nazis or just blame them. Sounds like a Bissell idea.