The Education Forum

Favourite Quotations

Little did we know that old Leo da Vinci, when writing long ago in his "Notebook on Polemics and Speculation," would explain the future phenomena of authors of the stripe of Gerald Posner:

"Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitudes."

Greetings:

"It is very important that people take responsibility for their own lives and not simply accept authority in a way that reduces their own creativity and power."

From: Healing Emotions: Conversations with the DALAI LAMA on Mindfulness, Emotions, and Health.

Edited: Daniel Goleman

Peter

"Do not go gentle into that good night; rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

I also like: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro," by Hunter Thompson.

Tim Carroll

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

Proust

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."

James B. Conant

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm."

Henry David Thoreau

"Good teaching is more a giving of the right questions than a giving of the right answers."

J. Albers

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn."

J.C. Dana

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."

W. A. Ward

"The difficulty lies not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones."

Lord Keynes

"It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question."

Ionesco

You can subscribe to daily quotes at: http://www.surfnetkids.com/quotations/

You can see a nice movie on educational quotes at:

http://www.surfnetkids.com/movie/

You can even get a screensaver version of the movie free of charge.

I have this screensaver on one of my computer. It's really nice. The quotes are great. Worth checking out the site! Well, and I must mention that I'm not affiliated anyhow to surfnetkids. :-)

Finally, I must say I have immensely enjoyed reading your quotes and jokes and it was good idea to have a special section of EF as a way of commemmorating its birthday. Many happy returns of the day, Education Forum!

Keep up the good work guys!

I hope I'll be able to contribute much more to the forum's success in the year 2005.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :)

Edited by Janos Blasszauer

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

Proust

James B. Conant

Henry David Thoreau

"Good teaching is more a giving of the right questions than a giving of the right answers."

J. Albers

J.C. Dana

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."

W. A. Ward

Lord Keynes

Ionesco

You can subscribe to daily quotes at: http://www.surfnetkids.com/quotations/

You can see a nice movie on educational quotes at: 

http://www.surfnetkids.com/movie/

You can even get a screensaver version of the movie free of charge. 

I have this screensaver on one of my computer. It's really nice. The quotes are great. Worth checking out the site! Well, and I must mention that I'm not affiliated anyhow to surfnetkids. :-)

Finally, I must say I have immensely enjoyed reading your quotes and jokes and it was good idea to have a special section of EF as a way of commemmorating its birthday. Many happy returns of the day, Education Forum!

Keep up the good work guys!

I hope I'll be able to contribute much more to the forum's success in the year 2005.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  :)

Many favorites:

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" Lennon/McCartney

"We shall not cease from our exploration and at the end of all our exploring...we arrive at the place we started and know it for the first time"

TS Eliott

Dawn

Two quotes which have some resonance for teachers working in the UK over the past few years:

First, a quote for which I have no attribution,

'The floggings will continue until morale improves.' (Chris Woodhead perhaps, a former Chief Inspector of UK schools?)

Second, a quote which I have seen several times on departmental notice boards over the past few years, by Caius Petronius, Roman soldier:

'We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up in teams we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation.'

Proust

James B. Conant

Henry David Thoreau

J. Albers

J.C. Dana

W. A. Ward

Lord Keynes

Ionesco

Great collection of quotes. We obviously share a similar view of education.

• 1 month later...

I get email with quotes under people's names. Here are some of my favorites.

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. " Confucius

"Sero sed Serio”

"To truly win, to be a success, is not to overachieve in one area

but to maintain balanced achievement in all areas of our lives."

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'" -Yoda

"Do not try to bend the spoon. Thats impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth "What truth?" There is no spoon." -Little Boy from The Matrix

"May the Force be with you" - Jedi Knight

What does not kill me gets a good kick in the teeth for trying.

Nil carborundum bastardos in excreta.

Philosophers have merely explained the world. The task however is to change it.

No attribution - nobody owns ideas ;)

• 1 month later...