The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Doug, I was really surprised Biden's competitors didn't make this truth about Biden a much reported issue in the states with large black voting numbers.

Biden is the person most responsible for Clarence Thomas getting confirmed for the Supreme Court imo.

Biden's hearing was an unjust slap in the face for Anita Hill.

Most black Americans hate C. Thomas as he sides against them on most SC decisions.

20 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

We won't all be dead by November, but I suspect that some of us may be.

As a 60-something Boomer with borderline diabetes I'm in a higher risk category, and I'm currently facing the daunting task of trying to convince my daughter to cancel her spring break trip to Southern California.

As for Daniel Craig, is it a mere coincidence that Bond resembles Vladimir Putin nowadays?

"Bond resembles Vladimir Putin" ?

Hmmm - my first major disagreement with you there W.N.

But talk about a higher risk category candidate for the worst case scenario reaction to this coronavirus?

I'm 68 and have many immune system issues.

Hope I don't get it. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Doug, I was really surprised Biden's competitors didn't make this truth about Biden a much reported issue in the states with large black voting numbers.

Biden is the person most responsible for Clarence Thomas getting confirmed for the Supreme Court imo.

Biden's hearing was an unjust slap in the face for Anita Hill.

Most black Americans hate C. Thomas as he sides against them on most SC decisions.

Biden is really more of a Republican than a Democrat. He is from Delaware, the legal home of banks and credit card companies. His years in  Congress show that he is an opportunist. In the Senate confirmation hearing on Clarence Thomas over which he presided, he made the calculated decision that putting a black man on the Supreme Court would ultimately pay off for his political ambitions. He shafted Anita Hill because she offered his political ambitions little.

I watched daily the Senate hearings that Biden held on going to war in Iraq and once again his political ambitions told him to support the war, which is now approaching its second decade of useless warfare with the only thing to show for it is the vast numbers of deaths of American soldiers and the people of Iraq. President George W. Bush, now considered a war criminal in Europe for that war, publicly thanked Biden for providing key support in Congress for the war when it was needed.

America is a different country that it was two decades ago or even four years ago. If elected president, Biden may find it difficult to effect compromises that reward the Right like he did in the past because Democrats in Congress and rank-and-file won't stand for it.

9 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

David Andrews knows the reference. We were discussing 9/11 & JFK last week.

Also, the same syndicate that killed JFK and destroyed the WTC on 9/11 has been trying to get rid of Trump since before the 2016 Election.

There is a lot of useful 9/11 info at Christopher Bollyn's website.  However, one must keep Christopher Bollyn's anti-Israel bias in perspective.

And, as with all 9/11 sites, one needs to triple check everything against other opinions and findings.

https://www.bollyn.com/9-11-archive-2018-2/

…the people need to live in ignorance for the general peace of the nation.  Giacomo Casanova

Edited by David Andrews

I love this thread.  Reading this thread is like walking into a bar where multiple interesting, funny conversations are happening simultaneously-- everything from Trump, Russiagate, Gibson Island, the "Deep State" du jour, and 9/11, to Bernie Sanders, coronavirus, death, James Bond, hemorrhoids, and bad breath!

You can listen to and respond to whichever conversation grabs you in the moment.

As for James Bond, am I the only one around here who thinks Daniel Craig looks sort of like Vlad Putin, the shirtless Russian commando?

Edited by W. Niederhut

11 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

As for James Bond, am I the only one around here who thinks Daniel Craig looks sort of like Vlad Putin, the shirtless Russian commando?

Craig does sort of look like Putin, but he doesn't look anything like Sean Connery.

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

These are the credentials of the author, Pretty groovy!

Caitlin Johnstone is a rogue journalist, poet, and utopia prepper who publishes regularly at Medium. Follow her work on Facebook, Twitter, or her website. She has a podcast and a book, Woke: A Field Guide for Utopia Preppers.” 

Rogue journalist? Is that "Rogue" like E Howard Hunt??  "Utopian prepper"----"Woke!!".  (how about trite?)             I've seen her before on CN and to be fair this piece isn't as absurd as previous pieces, which were totally unsubstantiated, and I saw as a marked decline in editing in Consortium News over the last few years which I assume was because Robert Parry wasn't well enough to oversee it. There are still good, well written articles to be sure. But it's apparent from Johnstone's credentials  that nearly anyone can write for Consortium News now.

But in fairness, her subject accuracy is probably not such a leap. It's not clear what point Jim is making when he says it's "almost funny now" . I would use the word "ludicrous". At this point , after all this campaigning and debates, Whotf wants to see the 1% Tulsi Gabbard on stage with 2 remaining candidates?, just because she wants to hang on to her moment of fame after she shared winning a couple of delegates in a Samoan caucus., while other candidates with more solid constituencies have the grace to get out.  Not the vast majority of people! 

Bowing out is a sacrifice people make because they realize, that whatever you think of the outcome, the process is greater than any one person. To the super militant 1% , who seriously think she should be on the debate stage. I can assure you there will also be greater political disappointments  to come for you later in life as well. 

As far as the process, the Democrats had 23 candidates at the beginning! Which of course forced a long series of debates where they were hoping every candidate could get their 7 minutes in the sun.  Tulsi used part of it to go after  Kamala Harris which of course looks like a petty squabble now, but wasn't at the time for her, I guess. You don't think   Tim Ryan, Jay Inslee, Marainne Wllamson, Steve Bullock, Hickenlooper, Deval and Delaney and Bonnie WTF sub 1%'s all think they could have gotten a better shot too.?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

3 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Biden is really more of a Republican than a Democrat. He is from Delaware, the legal home of banks and credit card companies. His years in  Congress show that he is an opportunist. In the Senate confirmation hearing on Clarence Thomas over which he presided, he made the calculated decision that putting a black man on the Supreme Court would ultimately pay off for his political ambitions. He shafted Anita Hill because she offered his political ambitions little.

I watched daily the Senate hearings that Biden held on going to war in Iraq and once again his political ambitions told him to support the war, which is now approaching its second decade of useless warfare with the only thing to show for it is the vast numbers of deaths of American soldiers and the people of Iraq. President George W. Bush, now considered a war criminal in Europe for that war, publicly thanked Biden for providing key support in Congress for the war when it was needed.

America is a different country that it was two decades ago or even four years ago. If elected president, Biden may find it difficult to effect compromises that reward the Right like he did in the past because Democrats in Congress and rank-and-file won't stand for it.

Totally agree Doug.

This is why Bloomberg was willing to spend almost 1/2 BILLION DOLLARS to get Biden in over Sanders and Warren.

4 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Well said.  IF he makes it to and through the debates maybe he'll drag enough progressive democrats with him to to change his path forward, thus maybe ours too.

I know it's time to give it up here but I found Warren's parting words to her team, well said, also.

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/the-fight-goes-on-8f5ca2b4b557

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Well said.  IF he makes it to and through the debates maybe he'll drag enough progressive democrats with him to to change his path forward, thus maybe ours too.

I know it's time to give it up here but I found Warren's parting words to her team, well said, also.

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/the-fight-goes-on-8f5ca2b4b557

I like that Ron,
Ok, no I don't find Elizabeth Warren that physically attractive. Ha ha boys!

I do agree with Joe. Elizabeth Warren is as young and vital a 70 year old person as I could imagine. I think she wakes up in the morning sincerely believing in justice and the struggle to better conditions for everyday people. I think she has an indomitable spirit that drives her and a refusal to let life set her back that some may see as a naivete, but I think it's the secret to her youth that many could learn from her, and I don't know what's lurking in her medical records, but I could see her living a long time.
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Oh no Dave, don't get Joe McBride started on Frank Capra.

He will surely note how this speech resembles Claude Rains' at the end of Mr Smith.

8 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Oh no Dave, don't get Joe McBride started on Frank Capra.

He will surely note how this speech resembles Claude Rains' at the end of Mr Smith.

I think it's supposed to resemble Jimmy Stewart's.  One needs to see the whole picture to get the full benefit of the context of the speech in the Truman era.

McBride says that Capra peaked ahead of this film.  But he never rocked cold suicide as an opener before:

Angela Lansbury so cold in this picture, she's hot.  Predicts the rise of Ayn Rand.

Edited by David Andrews