The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

18 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

and ending our Timber Sycamore proxy war in Syria (probably a good thing there, considering the damage we have done in Syria.)

At least we agree that ending a proxy war is “probably” a good thing. 

I would have used the word “unequivocally” or “always”, but at least I can now see where you’re coming from.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Probably not so great for the Kurds, who were our allies.

True.  The Kurds have long been persecuted minorities in both (northern) Syria and Turkey.

Now they are at the mercy of both national governments-- unless Putin can prevail upon Assad and Erdogan to protect them from genocidal military ops.

If Putin's grand game is to ally the Kurds (especially in Iraq's Kurdistan) with the Russian-Iranian-Syrian Axis, perhaps he will try to protect them from Assad's regime.

Meanwhile, in his inimitably idiotic style, Donald Trump has just claimed credit for Putin's resolution of the border dispute between Erdogan and Assad.

If the Nationals manage to win the World Series Trump will, doubtless, take credit for that as well.

Looks like John Gotti has lost his soubriquet, the Teflon Don, to the guy in the White house.

"We have achieved permanent peace in Syria" followed by "whatever "permanent" means in the part of the world."

"I have achieved a great victory," ( by abandoning his allies, the Kurds, to the animal Erdogan, and his butchers.)

And some Americans still believe this man is sane?

Edited by Ray Mitcham
49 minutes ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Looks like John Gotti has lost his soubriquet, the Teflon Don, to the guy in the White house.

"We have achieved permanent peace in Syria" followed by "whatever "permanent" means in the part of the world."

"I have achieved a great victory," ( by abandoning his allies, the Kurds, to the animal Erdogan, and his butchers.)

It's truly Orwellian.

If Trump told his cult members here in the U.S. that little green men from Mars had invaded Louisiana, they'd all hunker down in their bunkers.

1 hour ago, Ray Mitcham said:

I don't quite understand why nobody but John Bolton objected to Trump surrendering to the Taliban at Camp David. Why wasn't everyone up in arms about that one? He proposed doing it the week of 9/11. The Dems are so inept when it comes to pointing out the obvious. That should have really scarred his future alone IMO.

4 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Allies?

I think you meant proxies.

Whatever will happen to all those wars in the Middle East when all those proxies lose their sponsors?

Can I screenshot this to my Twitter followers?

I’ll hide your name.

6 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

How many different ways can your narrative fall apart? 

BREAKING: #SDF Commander thanks

"for his tireless efforts that stopped the brutal Turkish attack" Gen Mazloum Abdi also says US promised "long term support at various spheres"

12 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

"for his tireless efforts that stopped the brutal Turkish attack" Gen Mazloum Abdi also says US promised "long term support at various spheres"

This is good.  I think I see a trend.  Let's continue the hostilities via Twitter. 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, Robert Wheeler said:

There were any number of competing development plans for the gas fields. Broadly, the difference in the plans is/was where to run the pipeline through to get the gas to the European market. The War in Syria is basically over pipeline rights of way. One contingent wants to go through Turkey, another via Cyprus. In either case, lots of Money is at stake. The Russians are involved because they are Western Europe's main gas supplier and stand to lose their monopoly.

There was an interview, I believe foreign, with a high ranking French (maybe German, can't remember) diplomat who said this is the exact scenario. I tried searching for it briefly to no avail, anyone recall this as well?

That basic concept seems to fit just about everything we've seen since the conflict started.

4 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

I don't quite understand why nobody but John Bolton objected to Trump surrendering to the Taliban at Camp David. Why wasn't everyone up in arms about that one? He proposed doing it the week of 9/11. The Dems are so inept when it comes to pointing out the obvious. That should have really scarred his future alone IMO.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/politics/camp-david-donald-trump-mike-pence-taliban/index.html

According to Cee No News, at least Pence and Bolton openly disagreed with Trump, whom Trump overruled because he believes " "I always think it is good to meet and talk, but in this case I decided not to," the President tweeted Monday. But the main reason he "decided" that was surely because...

"Trump eventually scrapped the event after a Taliban car bomb killed a US soldier and 11 others last week. But that decision came after heated debate within the administration over the venue for the summit -- an outgrowth of larger, more substantial disagreements over the wisdom of negotiating with the Taliban at all. "

The Gary Powers incident immediately popped in my head when I read this. Sometimes the best we can hope for in 2019 is that evil fights evil, and if Trump is arguing with the likes of Bolton, Pence, and the US military commanders, I consider it a small victory. Notice that Pence represents a noticeably more hawkish position than Trump. Dangerous conditions for Trump, I'd expect more "scandals" to appear if the impeachment inquiry doesn't give the DNC choice (Biden/Warren) enough of an edge.

2 hours ago, Dennis Berube said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/politics/camp-david-donald-trump-mike-pence-taliban/index.html

According to Cee No News, at least Pence and Bolton openly disagreed with Trump, whom Trump overruled because he believes " "I always think it is good to meet and talk, but in this case I decided not to," the President tweeted Monday. But the main reason he "decided" that was surely because...

"Trump eventually scrapped the event after a Taliban car bomb killed a US soldier and 11 others last week. But that decision came after heated debate within the administration over the venue for the summit -- an outgrowth of larger, more substantial disagreements over the wisdom of negotiating with the Taliban at all. "

The Gary Powers incident immediately popped in my head when I read this. Sometimes the best we can hope for in 2019 is that evil fights evil, and if Trump is arguing with the likes of Bolton, Pence, and the US military commanders, I consider it a small victory. Notice that Pence represents a noticeably more hawkish position than Trump. Dangerous conditions for Trump, I'd expect more "scandals" to appear if the impeachment inquiry doesn't give the DNC choice (Biden/Warren) enough of an edge.

Yeah I just don't understand  Trump's "strategy" here. I suppose it's to claim he got us out of this idiotic situation, similar to Syria, but he was literally having the US surrender to a non-governmental group (terrorists?) that isn't officially recognized (that I know of). He's either incompetent or perhaps that's what Putin requires of him but one way or another I was outraged and don't understand why his opponents didn't flog him about it. I for one don't ever agree with Bolton except in this case.

13 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

Yeah I just don't understand  Trump's "strategy" here. I suppose it's to claim he got us out of this idiotic situation, similar to Syria, but he was literally having the US surrender to a non-governmental group (terrorists?) that isn't officially recognized (that I know of). He's either incompetent or perhaps that's what Putin requires of him but one way or another I was outraged and don't understand why his opponents didn't flog him about it. I for one don't ever agree with Bolton except in this case.

If the Turks are fighting The Kurds, and the Kurds are Fighting ISIS and ISIS are fighting Assad’s forces and we are fighting ISIS and Assad’s forces while, Russia fights ISIS as an Assad Ally, I see no other choice than to let this go for three or four more decades.

2 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

If the Turks are fighting The Kurds, and the Kurds are Fighting ISIS and ISIS are fighting Assad’s forces and we are fighting ISIS and Assad’s forces while, Russia fights ISIS as an Assad Ally, I see no other choice than to let this go for three or four more decades.

I realize the whole thing is ridiculous but for one, we opened that can of worms. Secondly, I wasn't real big on Assad dropping barrell bombs on civilians with impunity as Obama let him do.

Unfortunately nobody was listening to Powell when he warned everyone about the Pottery Barn rule. You break it, you buy it. He was so right. In Afghanistan, which was what I was talking about, at least there was some justification. Trump's solution seems to be to surrender to an adversary we've militarily defeated. At Camp David.

18 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Don't suppose it's remotely possible #SDF Commander may be out of touch with his people?

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 8.40.24 AM.png