The Education Forum

On-line Users

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 members, 74 guests,  Hopefully they're getting educated about the JFK assassination as this is part of he Education Forum.  Glad to see they're all interested in the subject enough to look.

Thank you Cory and others.

The Guest Users are a serious issue. Why at this moment in time to a significant number only log in for seconds and leave. And this every moment of the day. I have had a communication from Invision where I was informed that "It does seem due to the legacy domain (.ipbhost.com) that some network firewall rules were not being properly applied. This is now happening," This email was sent two hours before your email. So after this matter - according to Invision - has now been corrected and yet two hours later you have reported that there are 65 Guest Users on line.

I have now learnt a bot was placed on the site. Invision have removed it.

I have been informed on how to close the site to guests, However if I do that every member will require to log in when they return.

I will await the membership's view on whether re-logging on is an acceptable price to blocking Guest Users.

James.

I would think that most new members come from guest users. If you block guest users, won't that mean few if any new members?

Yes Ron that is an issue, banning guests is an option but I agree not a successful one unless you wish to go private..

Banning guests from using the search function and checking out members profiles is something that may help reduce traffic. Let them use google for search instead. Those two bits should be cut from guests and anything else that is accessible for them besides reading posts. 

4 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

I have been informed on how to close the site to guests, However if I do that every member will require to log in when they return.

I will await the membership's view on whether re-logging on is an acceptable price to blocking Guest Users.

James.

I don't claim to completely understand this. So we have the acknowledgment from Invision that there was a bot and they have the tools to eliminate it and have eliminated it. Which is good news, but they won't be lenient for increased bot activity on this site in the future. So they suggest we eliminate all new users, which seems to be a bit extreme.  So is the other alternative  that we monitor our own activity and inform Invision as soon as possible?

9 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

James.

Is there a way to put a limit on how many times a guest can view the forum before they have to sign up to continue using it. For example some online newspapers give you access to read five articles before you have to make an account or you cannot read anymore. If possible I think that would be a better option than blocking guests altogether. 

I'm fine with logging back into the site to eliminate guests.

I'm also fine with finding out how to make those non-active, non-JFK forums invisible if they are no longer active or moderated.  They will count against usage, regardless of whether or not they're being used.  A form admin would have to handle that detail.

And - as far as I know from previously working Invision boards - there is no way to take the content of the JFK forums and make it into a new board without a substantial upfront cost.  A cheaper option (in the past, at least, and this board seems to work like the ones I used to work) would be to close off/make invisible/delete those non-affiliated boards which are no longer used.  That way they cannot attract any 'guest' viewers.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:43 AM, James R Gordon said:

James.

James is there any reason not to use this? It is a plug in we can access correct?

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8001-dp42-guest-view-limits/

About This File

Limit page views for guests in specified amount of time.

Features:

bots can explore whole board without limits,

enable/disable mod,

exclude urls,

exclude forums and clubs,

set visit limit number and time,

set error message,

limit topics (or no).

Version for IP.Board 3.x can be downloaded here.

Info:

Due to the rework on this app (every new resource has to be done from the scratch to run on IPS4 and it was a hook on 3.4), a new purchase is required. Thank you for your understanding.

It appears that the general consensus is to not block Guest Users. Lets do that. If the issue re-appears I know how block the.

Invision have removed the bott - though I have no idea who introduced it. The number of Guest Users is also significantly reducing.

So it looks like things are returning to normal.

Thank you for all your input and ideas, They have really been a great help.

James.