The Education Forum

Mary Meyer

“None of us has any idea what Angleton did with the diary while it was in his possession,” Bradlee wrote in his memoir."

The JFK Mistress Gunned Down in Cold Blood

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-jfk-mistress-mary-pinchot-meyer-was-gunned-down-in-cold-blood-why?ref=home

editors' note: This article was updated on at 9:30 a.m. EST, 21 January 2020, to correct the spelling of the names of Wistar Janney and Dovey Johnson Roundtree, and to add further material about the missing diary or diaries.

Steve Thomas

One of the most interesting factoids in Peter Janney's somewhat controversial book, Mary's Mosaic, was about his father (CIA exec Wistar Janney) and Ben Bradlee discussing Mary Pinchot Meyer's murder over the noon hour-- long before the D.C. police had even announced, or issued an APB about, the murder.

It was, obviously, a CIA-orchestrated hit, and Ben Bradlee knew all about it.

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I hope the Seidler screenplay can bring the key narrative details of Mary's Mosaic to the screen.

The most interesting part of the book, for me -- beyond the details of Meyer's murder-- were Janney's vignettes about growing up in a CIA family in D.C. in the 50s and 60s.  He recounts a time when he was watching the old 1960s Mission Impossible T.V. show, with Martin Landau as the master of disguise, (boy, was that Saturday night show popular in my circle of friends at the time!) and his dad commented, "We do it better." 

Peter Janney's best friend in childhood was Mary Pinchot Meyer's son, and his family was in regular, close contact with Mary and Cord Meyer and their family, (and, to a lesser extent, with James Angleton.)