The Education Forum

If You Stare Into the Abyss on This Forum...

It just hit me, as I was pondering the grim Wall Street futures data following Powell lowering interest rates to zero this afternoon.  (Not to mention Trump aggressively boosting oil stocks late Friday afternoon just before the closing bell.)

I don't know where the bottom is in this abyss, but Nietzsche was right.

"If you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss stares back at you."

And that should be the motto of this JFKA forum, IMO.

From what I have seen, this is a forum for unusual people who really want to know the terrible truth.

41 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

It just hit me, as I was pondering the grim Wall Street futures data following Powell lowering interest rates to zero this afternoon.  (Not to mention Trump aggressively boosting oil stocks late Friday afternoon just before the closing bell.)

I don't know where the bottom is in this abyss, but Nietzsche was right.

"If you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss stares back at you."

And that should be the motto of this JFKA forum, IMO.

From what I have seen, this is a forum for unusual people who really want to know the terrible truth.

Is the terrible truth worse than the lies and deception?  

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

"One bourbon, one Scotch, one beer."

-- George Thorogood

If you insist.  But more than a couple of rounds of such can result in head aches the next morning.  Definitely Don't Drive. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=george+thorogood+one+bourbon%2c+one+scotch%2c+one+beer&docid=608029465837765977&mid=8784ED3EA127FD0EA0288784ED3EA127FD0EA028&view=detail&FORM=VRAASM&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dgeorge%2Bthorogood%2Bone%2Bbourbon%2Bone%2Bscotch%2Bone%2Bbeer%26qpvt%3Dgeorge%2Bthorogood%2Bone%2Bbourbon%2Bone%2Bscotch%2Bone%2Bbeer%26FORM%3DVDRE

It gets better at about 6 minutes in when Elvis Bishop kicks into gear and they compliment each other on the guitar. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

Staring back?  If I go will I get it?   They won't have it, the CDC said no gatherings over 50 people for two months.  The tour starts  May 8th, so it won't start on time, delayed or cancelled.  They're all in their upper 70's, increased personal risk.  I was told today that for fathers day this year we were going to see the Stones in the Cotton Bowl where I saw them in 1975, in late May this year.  Nothing official yet on the web site but I anticipate changes .

https://rollingstones.com/tour/

This is all nothing when it comes to survival, children, grandchildren.

But even in the worst of times we need levity, maybe even a grin.  A clumsy attempt  in a time before even MTV.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rolling+stones+it's+only+rock'n'roll&view=detail&mid=4EBEB75DB6575AC8A3244EBEB75DB6575AC8A324&FORM=VIRE

"When you dine with the devil, use a very long spoon." - Geoffrey Chaucer. (He must have heard about social distancing.)

Ron Bulman: Is the terrible truth worse than the lies and deception?  

Ask Col. Jessep

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Is the terrible truth worse than the lies and deception?  

It depends on what you mean by "worse."

Many people use denial of reality as a defense against anxiety and despair.

As T.S. Eliot said, "Most people can't handle too much reality."

But this is a forum for those of us who tend to stare into the abyss.

And, speaking of the abyss, Trump's sock rocket is, indeed, crashing this morning.

Remember when Dubya said he looked Putin in the eye and got "a sense of his soul"?

I imagine that looking Trump in the eye is like "staring into the abyss."

Edited by Ron Ecker

Good reason to stare:

The DJIA lost nearly 3,000 points today, one of the worst if not the worst ever.

IMO, the Fed overreached with that massive rate drop.  It indicated that they think its even worse than the public does.

Th DJIA is now I think even lower than when Trump took office.  Hundred of billions  have been sold off.

The question for me is what is the Fed worried about? Why is there a liquidity problem? Not the virus, as it predates that. Too many fat cats taking billions and hiding the money? 

The problem as I see it, and I might be wrong, is that there are too many people locked in at CD or bonds that are paying relatively high rates of interest..

But yet the most recent T bill auction pegged those securities at 0. 27.  That is a really big difference.  So the fed is going in and paying insurance against the spread.

BTW, as of today, the Dow has lost virtually all the gains it made during the Trump presidency.

All but for about 200 points.

This had been one of his big selling points.  

20 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ron Bulman: Is the terrible truth worse than the lies and deception?  

Ask Col. Jessep

The name sounded familiar but I had to google it.  I'd rather try to handle the truth, evaluate it for myself along with others, than see all of us destroyed or dominated by the lies and deception.

Oops, forgot the link.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=A+Few+Good+Men+Courtroom+Scene&&view=detail&mid=C7CA0C0A70F223E51A1DC7CA0C0A70F223E51A1D&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DA%2BFew%2BGood%2BMen%2BCourtroom%2BScene%26FORM%3DVRIBQP

Edited by Ron Bulman