The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

4 hours ago, David Andrews said:

I meant my previous post, which I have since removed and reposted on the right thread.  Jeepers, don't be so sensitive.

Overly sensitive? No, not at all.

I've often deleted postings after reading them over and deciding they would be better placed somewhere else. Parts of postings as well.

Didn't have one feeling of offense or defense deleting my post here.

I am usually not that concerned with other's critical comments on my postings. Yet, sometimes they are valid and I may even change some of my points in considering them.

I just like and appreciate the opportunity to keep reading the forum and to interject now and then.

Thanks, JB.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Overly sensitive? No, not at all.

I've often deleted postings after reading them over and deciding they would be better placed somewhere else. Parts of postings as well.

Didn't have one feeling of offense or defense deleting my post here.

I am usually not that concerned with other's critical comments on my postings. Yet, sometimes they are valid and I may even change some of my points in considering them.

I just like and appreciate the opportunity to keep reading the forum and to interject now and then.

Thanks, JB.

But I wasn't talking about your post.  I meant mine.  I was telling the mods to delete my post.

Edited by David Andrews

8 hours ago, David Andrews said:

But I wasn't talking about your post.  I meant mine.  I was telling the mods to delete my post.

I know this David.

I had considered moving or deleting my post on my own and before I even read yours.

I have a habit sometimes of going off topic with my posting comments. 

I've deleted more postings of mine than you would know because of this, but I do catch most of them on my own.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:58 AM, W. Niederhut said:

The Denver Post just published a map of documented COVID-19 cases in Denver's neighborhoods.

My neighborhood, Washington Park, is the WORST!  (I live one block away from the park.)

My wife and I have been wearing masks on our daily walks in the park for the past week or so, but I have noticed that many pedestrians and most bicyclists out there are still not wearing masks -- especially the young people-- and the park has been unusually crowded since the local schools were closed.

We may have to start strolling on the side streets-- but even those are crowded now.

I tried wearing my mask while skating (Rollerblading) my daily 5 miles out there, but my sunglasses get fogged over quickly.  No can do.

I suppose it's easy for me because I don't live in a huge basin metropolitan area like L.A. or at the end of a Peninsula like San Francisco though my sister does with her husband, or NYC? I can't imagine!

To address you specifically William. It doesn't matter to me if cell phone coverage shows I'm not in the top 70& compliance. I'm in the West, and although some parks are closed, it is understood that people just have to recreate somehow. I drive along the coast, I don't see cops stopping lovers on the beach and asking them if they're married. I don't see cops arbitrarily stopping cars on the freeway and asking where they're going. In reference to what Ron says. You've heard the Gunnison area is closed , but do you know if it's really being sealed off and patrolled?
More than every other day I can drive to hiking trails  within 10 miles that have few other hikers. We do pass each much closer than 6 feet with respect. One time, I feared on one trail I was lost , saw a guy having lunch with his family right on the trail, asked him and he show me the trail map on his cell phone. My general experience in going to store, getting gas, getting what I need is that people are just much nicer right now, though I can't say how long that would last. But people are mindful of each other and practicing safe distancing.. I can only imagine how stir crazy people can get in the giant metro areas of the East. They were designed solely with the idea of loading in cheap labor.

But I can tell you I took a couple of month trip through Latin America in January. I returned on March10th,  I thought I was going out of the frying pan into the fire! Really to what was ground zero for the virus at the time, which was Washington and California. But later I found if I left a week later, I would have had a problem getting out!
None of the countries have an infection  rate near the U.S. and they are all sweeping down with Draconian measures and outside of some barrios they are getting compliance. Even though during normal times, people aren't compliant with anything. The government can  get away with it now, because they have had previous histories of cracking down during political instability.
I do chat online with residents of numerous Latin American countries and often they are only allowed to go out for necessities 2 days a week. They can and and will be stopped if they're out and about, and  if they don't have their credentials with them they can be thrown in jail. These countries aren't messing around! Colombia has an infection rate 5 per 100k, Mexico's rate is 4 per 100k, and in the U.S. the rate is 170 per 100k. And some are are cracking down in way that just wouldn't be tolerated here. Very Draconian!      
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

There are many [coronavirus-infected folks] that they have not found out about because they are in nursing homes or they live alone.

Not to mention all those who are infected but have negligible or no symptoms at all. The invisible carriers. If those were added to the confirmed cases, I'll bet the numbers would at least triple.

3 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Which means the Fatality Rate would plummet, which is not the narrative the MSM had in mind.

In other news, Trump is suspending payments to the WHO.

Nice.

Also this. See the third one down.

1687795944_daltrey2020-04-14205447.jpg.bc105a2456cde89f5e6a19f0f11c3902.jpg

So, today Trump is blaming the WHO for his pandemic botch job?

Tomorrow he'll probably blame the Rolling Stones, and by Friday he'll blame it on the bossa nova.

9 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:
14 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Not to mention all those who are infected but have negligible or no symptoms at all. The invisible carriers. If those were added to the confirmed cases, I'll bet the numbers would at least triple.

Which means the Fatality Rate would plummet, which is not the narrative the MSM had in mind.

True, the fatality rate of covid-19 would drop if the all asymptomatic cases were known. But that rate is usually compared to the flu's fatality rate for perspective. And the flu's fatality rate would need to be dropped too in order to make it a fair comparison.*  In which case covid-19 would again appear to be more lethal.

And besides, it is already known that covid-19 is more dangerous than the flu. First, because covid-19's hospitalization rate is much higher than the flu's, which means that its effect on the body is much greater. And second, because it spreads so fast (without mitigation) that it can quickly overload hospitals. In which case patients will be deprived of hospital care

*This shouldn't be done if it has been shown that a symptomatic flu does not exist.

2405.  Highest number of deaths in a day recorded.  I guess the fatality rate has not plummeted yet.  But let's talk about opening the economy back up in the next 2-3-4 weeks.

BTW the malaria drug the prez touted doesn't look real promising.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/hyped-malaria-pill-doesnt-help-clear-coronavirus-in-study/ar-BB12EEbv?li=BBnb7Kz

48 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

But let's talk about opening the economy back up in the next 2-3-4 weeks.

I don't know how the governments is going to do it. The next step (contact tracing) is to gradually put people back to work while monitoring for new infection cases. Whenever a case is found, then test all of the people that that person had contact with, and so forth and so on. And quarantine all new cases. Problem is, enormous numbers of test kits need to be manufactured. Which requires a lot of resources including from other countries.

New York is ready to start contact tracing now, but there are (virtually) no tests available. Governor Cuomo said that the states need the federal government to procure the tests. He seems confident, so I guess the feds have it figured out.

4 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Really? That's the problem?

How about millions of people, including me, telling the government to go "F" themselves when they ask for their contacts.

The same goes for any mandatory vaccines.

Does anyone here think the Patriot Act was a good idea?

Does anyone here think a Bio-Patriot Act is a good idea.?

The Trump Justice Department recently claimed the right to indefinitely detain any citizen for any reason that pops into Herr Trump's pointy head.

Why does Robert Wheeler back the dictatorial claims of his Beloved Leader?

The finger-pointing towards China and WHO is based mostly on rumour and assertion. Trump's suspension of funding for WHO will unfortunately feed those flames. In the real world, there has been a tremendous amount of international cooperation. Counterpunch has run a series of articles which discuss, using professional journalistic method,  the response to the virus' sudden appearance:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/03/31/growing-xenophobia-against-china-in-the-midst-of-coronashock/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/08/how-china-learned-about-sars-cov-2-in-the-weeks-before-the-global-pandemic/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/15/how-china-broke-the-chain-of-infection/