The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

7 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

I've learned over the years that gas grills and fireplaces can be useful during these power outages.

Meanwhile, here's an authentic Native American weather alert from North Dakota today. 

Thanks!  Wife laughed out loud too when I showed it to her.  Still friggin cold for here.  I guess 5's cold anywhere. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I read earlier Montana has the same grid company as Texas, Southern States I think?  Are they doing the rolling blackouts in Montana?  Oops, time's getting close for another one.  We were doing fine until they started.  Better go before I loose another post in mid sentence.

No. So few people I guess it doesn’t put too much stress on it.

I'm still thankful our power is still rolling off and on fairly regularly as opposed to those with none.  Heck of a way to live though.  Every time it goes off I pray that it will come back on before too long, before it starts getting really cold.  Thirty minutes later I'm saying come on, come on.  Then finally, so far, Thank You Lord.  The cold water coming back on after freezing up yesterday morning at 3 degrees when the high was 14 astounded me.  A miracle.  Keep on streaming (we're beyond the drip stage until 28 or so).  More on that local Saturday spreader event when I don't loose my connection after 30-40 minutes when the power goes off, again.

My condolences to you guys.That's really raw out there. Yikes, I can barely conceive of Houston's weather! The coasts are always a moderating influence.   It's good to see MSM give national attention to the problems in the so called "flyover" middle states.  It seems like if there's any major weather news not involving hurricanes or tornadoes, it's always about the Northeast. Yes there is a great population there. But it's always the one weather commiseration story every year.

They talk about MSM news being biased to the bi coastal. That's true, but we in the West  have  always thought that particularly weather and sports have always had an East Coast bias.

Everything is just completely normal here. I'm in Morro Bay, midway between LA and SF, and it was in the 60's today.

11 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

My condolences to you guys.That's really raw out there. Yikes, I can barely conceive of Houston's weather! The coasts are always a moderating influence.   It's good to see MSM give national attention to the problems in the so called "flyover" middle states.  It seems like if there's any major weather news not involving hurricanes or tornadoes, it's always about the Northeast. Yes there is a great population there. But it's always the one weather commiseration story every year.

They talk about MSM news being biased to the bi coastal. That's true, but we in the West  have  always thought that particularly weather and sports have always had an East Coast bias.

Everything is just completely normal here. I'm in Morro Bay, midway between LA and SF, and it was in the 60's today.

Kirk,

But wouldn't you agree that none of us will, ultimately, escape the ravages of catastrophic climate change?

I'm thinking of California's (and Colorado's) historically horrible forest fires last summer.

And now flyover country is under ice, in another strange latitudinal shift of the polar vortex.

The situation reminds me of the Robert Frost poem, Fire and Ice.

Fire and Ice

by Robert Frost

Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I know, I heard that Dave. He was easily appointed, got caught trying  to gut our postal service during an  an election in a pandemic. And we're still hearing his name? How come he's not out of here?

Agreed W. I think there's at least one person in your last thread whose a climate change denier who thinks it's a scam perpetuated by the elites.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

What must be paid attention to is the underlying changes at the USPS.  The biggest is a little known fact outside the post office.  First class mail is the ONLY mail that is legally protected (Federal Law) from being opened except under a legal order issued and approved by the USPS Inspection Service (through the courts).  Under the umbrella of First Class, this also includes Express Mail and Priority Mail services as well.  This also includes tampering (delay, destruction, etc.)  If First Class mail is infolded into other groups, this protection will be lost.  This is a very important concept that has been at the root of the viability and purpose of the post office since its inception.  Without it, there would be absolutely NO reason to use the USPS at all.  In my 30 years with the USPS, I witnessed at least a dozen people lose their jobs and some go to jail for failing to protect the sanctity of the mail.

48 minutes ago, Richard Price said:

What must be paid attention to is the underlying changes at the USPS.  The biggest is a little known fact outside the post office.  First class mail is the ONLY mail that is legally protected (Federal Law) from being opened except under a legal order issued and approved by the USPS Inspection Service (through the courts).  Under the umbrella of First Class, this also includes Express Mail and Priority Mail services as well.  This also includes tampering (delay, destruction, etc.)  If First Class mail is infolded into other groups, this protection will be lost.  This is a very important concept that has been at the root of the viability and purpose of the post office since its inception.  Without it, there would be absolutely NO reason to use the USPS at all.  In my 30 years with the USPS, I witnessed at least a dozen people lose their jobs and some go to jail for failing to protect the sanctity of the mail.

50 cents to send a letter across the country never ceases to amaze me.

"We've deregulated here. . . when people worry more about profits. . . they're not going to winterize their plants"

Texans without heat warned they might not see power for days (msn.com)

Probably maybe 10 more minutes.  If it comes back in 30, much better than none in 36 or 50 hours.

"Texans would willingly go without heat or electricity for days rather than give the federal government any more power...".

Not all of us Rick.  Bet it's not in the 30's to 40's in your house with no light in the dark or water for day's.

Rick Perry says Texans would rather go without electricity than give the federal government more power over them (msn.com)

I guess freezing to death at home does prevent the spread of covid, and the number of deaths reported from it.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Once again I'm lucky.  I mentioned Monday after the second rolling blackout I lost water with a low of 3.  I was incredulous when cold water came back on a couple of cycles later in our bathroom well before the hi of 14.  Then warm water came back.  After a low of 0 the kitchen water was still frozen, I figured until we hit close to 32.  Yesterday afternoon it came back on.  But drain pipe was frozen up.  Carry dripping water in pitcher and soup pan to toilet.  Dip sink out.  Heat water.  Pour down sink. Plunge. Repeat, while carrying drip water to toilet. Nothing.  Power goes out.  Walk back in kitchen, sink drained.

Why water is a huge issue for Texans right now (msn.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

46 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

"Texans would willingly go without heat or electricity for days rather than give the federal government any more power...".

Not all of us Rick.  Bet it's not in the 30's to 40's in your house with no light in the dark or water for day's.

Rick Perry says Texans would rather go without electricity than give the federal government more power over them (msn.com)

I guess freezing to death at home does prevent the spread of covid, and the number of deaths reported from it.

I'm truly sorry, Ron, to hear about what your family and many people in Texas (including my in-laws) are experiencing this week.  I read that El Paso and parts of the Texas Panhandle that are on the national (Western) grid have not suffered from the statewide power outages.

What really sticks in my craw is the way that Governor Greg Abbot, Rick Perry, John Cornyn, Fox News, and the oil industry have tried to blame the utility failures in Texas on windmills.  What a crock.

How many more historic failures of deregulated, laissez faire capitalism will it take for American citizens to finally realize that there is no "invisible hand" optimizing the public good, in the absence of rational governance?

I believe in free market capitalism, but not without appropriate regulation in the public interest.

Utilities are a classic example.  (So is healthcare.)