The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

I was waiting to hear something other than stories about how painfully slow the covid vaccine rollout is in California, then an hour ago, I got notified online, filled out the application  and I'm getting my first jab this weekend!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I was waiting to hear something other than stories about how painfully slow the covid vaccine rollout is in California, then an hour ago, I got notified online, filled out the application  and I'm getting my first jab this weekend!

Congrat's Kirk.  Still waiting.

463,090 as of today.  It's just the flu.  Some still believe this.  When will we hit a half million.  When has the flu ever done that in a year.  Is Vegas taking odd's on the date?  I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Ron Bulman
On 3/18/2020 at 12:29 PM, W. Niederhut said:

I don't know if this is kosher here on the JFKA research forum, but I'm interested in hearing about the Plague in various regions of the country (and planet.)

Forum members have been posting incidental plague narratives on the Mark Zaid Thread-About-Everything here, but that thread has become utterly scattered and tangential-- even veering into tin-foil hat and Godwin's Law territory, with the inevitable allusions to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, etc.

In any case, here's my local Journal of the Plague Year entry for March 18, 2020...

I took my dog for a walk just now in Denver's Washington Park, where I have lived for the past 30 years.  (Because the nearest ocean is 1,000 miles away, Washington Park is the closest thing we have here to Venice Beach.)

A few people were out walking this morning and, for the first time, some of them were wearing surgical masks!

I passed a couple of 50-something ladies by Grassmere Lake, and one of them threw a scarf over her face as I walked by-- giving them a wide berth.

It was like stepping into the pages of an apocalyptic Camus novel.

Bumping this thread for Chris Barnard, who want's to start one on the pandemic.

Well I got my first jab today. It was pretty quick. I drove in, was given a questionnaire I filled out in  2 minutes. Went into a high school gym , submitted my questionnaire and got my shot in 5 minutes! Just about everyone there, from the people stopping you in your car to get in the parking lot, to the registrants, to the people giving you the jabs were women! They were like angels!

After, they have you wait 15 minutes in the gym to see if you have any adverse reactions. There were about 40 people waiting in folding chairs like me that told me they were probably serving about 40 people every 15 minutes.

I don't get a flu shot every year. But I did this year because they recommended it with covid. And there was less muscle soreness with this (the moderna vaccine) than there was with my flu shot, which was almost none.  I went out and took a half hour hike afterwards.

When I was waiting to leave another very intelligent nice lady was also waiting in a spaced chair socially distanced from me. We started talking and the subject came around to covid, the vaccine and then Robert Kennedy Jrs. covid position and she told me the Kennedy family broke with RFK Jr. in a op piece where they praised him for all the good work he's done on the environment but criticize his position on vaccines.

I looked it up and found it.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/08/robert-kennedy-jr-measles-vaccines-226798

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

I haven't had the covid shot yet.

Been suffering through a lodged kidney stone for 42 days and with other medical issues just couldn't handle any more heavy decision making until at least this stone pain/stress issue was resolved.

Saturday early morning the stone finally passed into the bladder which reduced the constant excrutiating pain to much milder pain, then the stone actually came out completely late Saturday night. So exhausted from the stone ordeal combined with other issues however, I am still not quite ready to arrange getting the covid shot just yet. I know many will find this a risky and perhaps irresponsible mind set.

This past Thursday I had to go to our hospital for a pre-op test for covid ( kidney stone surgery which is now cancelled due to it's passing) and had to drive by the outside area where covid shots were being administered to what seemed like 100 + people over the age 65 only.

It was a surreal sight.

Lines of older folks using canes, walkers, in wheel chairs, others standing alone or with someone holding them in support.

Everyone masked of course. It was a high drama scene. Workers running about, lots of yelling. You could see the look of anxiety and even a little fear in the eyes of some in the shot waiting crowd.

The scene of so many white haired folks ( of which I am one ) with some looking anxious spontaneously reminded me of the film "Cocoon" and the scene of similar looking older aged folks clamoring to get into the Anterean life and health rejuvenation pool or be allowed onto the boat/space ship ride back to their planet for a permanently rejuvenated, never aging life.

For a fleeting second I felt a tinge of apocalyptic dread in the desperateness of it all.

But at the same time I fightingly replaced that thought with a much more positive "we'll get through this okay" one as I inched my way past the slow moving aged covid innoculation crowd.

I thought - we survived Trump ... and we can get through this as well.

Edited by Joe Bauer

The county website says today anyone can register.  Guess I'll do so.  When they get to me is unknown.  Isolating except groceries and other essentials at 64 and waiting. 

Hoping at the moment to not get froze out through Presidents day.  Saturday night through Tuesday morning, low 10, high 22, low of 12, high 23, low of 12.  Unusual for here, maybe every 10-20-30 years.  Re insulated water pipes leaking last year I worked on.  New bulb for the pump house heat lamp, wouldn't want it to fail in the middle of this.  Busted pipes suck President's day or any other.  Hopefully not that 1/4 -1/2 inch of possible sleet.  Power was out two day's two years ago because of that stuff.  All electric meant no heat.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:28 PM, Ron Bulman said:

The county website says today anyone can register.  Guess I'll do so.  When they get to me is unknown.  Isolating except groceries and other essentials at 64 and waiting. 

Hoping at the moment to not get froze out through Presidents day.  Saturday night through Tuesday morning, low 10, high 22, low of 12, high 23, low of 12.  Unusual for here, maybe every 10-20-30 years.  Re insulated water pipes leaking last year I worked on.  New bulb for the pump house heat lamp, wouldn't want it to fail in the middle of this.  Busted pipes suck President's day or any other.  Hopefully not that 1/4 -1/2 inch of possible sleet.  Power was out two day's two years ago because of that stuff.  All electric meant no heat.

Guess we'll be isolating even more than usual for the next week.  It may be a normal thing for W or someone from Nebraska or Maine but I haven't seen Zero in north central Texas in about 40 years.  Never remember it not getting above freezing for over a week.  We are not prepared for this.  I've tried to do that the last few day, best I could.  To put it in perspective the record low for here in February is 6, we're supposed to break that twice.  I'm praying for no power outages and the dripping water from very faucet doesn't freeze up.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 32.3°N and Longitude 98.27°W (Elev. 1375 ft) (weather.gov)

A tenth of an inch of ice on a bridge in Fort Worth has already caused the worst pile up I ever remember seeing in the news in Texas.  130 (?) vehicles, six dead, 60 injured for now.

Texas winter storms: At least 9 dead in crashes across Dallas-Fort Worth area due to winter storms - CNN

A facebook video that's been taken down, thankfully, of an 18 wheeler that couldn't stop, is one of the most horrific things I've ever seen.

On 2/8/2021 at 3:56 AM, Ron Bulman said:

Bumping this thread for Chris Barnard, who want's to start one on the pandemic.

Thanks Ron, just spotted this. 

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I used to live in Denton County, glad I don't anymore.

Denton County Reports 8 Deaths, 529 Cases of COVID-19 Friday; 7 ICU Beds (msn.com)

Ron,

My wife's elderly parents in Denton were able to get vaccinated last month, but her aunt who lives in a nursing home in Denton has now tested positive for COVID and is not doing well.

Terrible accident down there on I-35, and I read today that Dallas will hit wind chills of -10 F this weekend!  Thomas Friedman calls it "global weirding."

This polar vortex will probably kill some of the marvelous flora down there that doesn't survive this far north--e.g., laurel, magnolia, bamboo, rhododendron, azalea.  I grew rhododendrons and bamboo in my garden here in Denver once, but those plants died when the winter temperatures would drop below -10 F.

It was a balmy -5 F in Denver this morning, but we'll get all the way up to 8 F this afternoon.

Stay warm.

Edited by W. Niederhut
On 2/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

My wife's elderly parents in Denton were able to get vaccinated last month, but her aunt who lives in a nursing home in Denton has now tested positive for COVID and is not doing well.

Terrible accident down there on I-35, and I read today that Dallas will hit wind chills of -10 F this weekend!  Thomas Friedman calls it "global weirding."

This polar vortex will probably kill some of the marvelous flora down there that doesn't survive this far north--e.g., laurel, magnolia, bamboo, rhododendron, azalea.  I grew rhododendrons and bamboo in my garden here in Denver once, but those plants died when the winter temperatures would drop below -10 F.

It was a balmy -5 F in Denver this morning, but we'll get all the way up to 8 F this afternoon.

Stay warm.

I've got a local spreader event story to relate later but before I loose power again.  7 rolling power outages since 3:15 this morning of 30-45 minutes each.  Water went off after power came back on the second time.  3 degree low with minus -15 chill factor.  Amazingly water, to half the house came back on when the power came back on the 4th time, and has each time since.  I had about 20 gallons put back in the first place.  Filled 3 larger ice chests and 1 small one in addition when it came back on time before last.  Not above freezing until Friday.  Already been a long day but others have it worse.  Better go before elect cuts off again and I loose the post!

Extreme cold snap shuts down central U.S. Texas is ground zero (msn.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

Awoke to  snow on the ground in Houston. A week ago I sunbathed by the pool at my apartment complex. All of Texas today is frozen stiff, another indication of climate change being upon us. This article  details its ramifications: 

Frozen wind turbines, soaring spot electricity prices: How the Artic freeze is roiling Texas’ energy market (dallasnews.com)

10 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Awoke to  snow on the ground in Houston. A week ago I sunbathed by the pool at my apartment complex. All of Texas today is frozen stiff, another indication of climate change being upon us. This article  details its ramifications: 

Frozen wind turbines, soaring spot electricity prices: How the Artic freeze is roiling Texas’ energy market (dallasnews.com)

The all time low in Houston was recorded in 1930. Was that "climate change" too? It was funny to see them deicing the turbine blades with a helicopter that runs on fossil fuels using chemicals derived from fossil fuels.