The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

3 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Good luck down there. We broke two 75 year-old records in our town in Montana in the past week, hitting -31 Sunday morning. It's supposed to get to 12 today, first time above zero since last Sunday.

I've skied at -30 F temperatures a few times, and it's downright dangerous.  Tears instantly freeze on my goggles, and my beard is solid ice by the time I get to the bottom of the mountain.

It was a balmy -10 F yesterday morning here in Denver, and it got up to a high of 0 F by the afternoon.

My koi are all alive today, but I had to put an extra heater in my koi pond over the weekend to keep my pond from turning into a giant block of ice.

(I lost $500 worth of mature koi a few years ago when the temperature dropped below -10 F.)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Good luck down there. We broke two 75 year-old records in our town in Montana in the past week, hitting -31 Sunday morning. It's supposed to get to 12 today, first time above zero since last Sunday.

I read earlier Montana has the same grid company as Texas, Southern States I think?  Are they doing the rolling blackouts in Montana?  Oops, time's getting close for another one.  We were doing fine until they started.  Better go before I loose another post in mid sentence.

1 hour ago, Ty Carpenter said:

The all time low in Houston was recorded in 1930. Was that "climate change" too? It was funny to see them deicing the turbine blades with a helicopter that runs on fossil fuels using chemicals derived from fossil fuels. 

Look what climate change is doing to the big oil refineries today:

Biggest Oil Refineries in U.S. Are Going Dark Amid the Cold (yahoo.com)

Yeah. Power and heat back on, for about an hour probably.  2/3 of the time is better than no thirds, better than some have.  Daughter, son in law and 2 year old grandson left their house about 4:00 for his dads, no power since 7:00 am, down to 60, falling about 7 degrees an hour by then she said.  Worried about my mother in law and her husband, 80 and 85.  No power since 5:00 am, neighbor brought them coffee this morning, no way to heat or cook any food, told my wife we've got plenty of blankets, she called another neighbor asking him to check on them, wife got reamed on the phone, we're all right.  After a high in the low teens headed for 0 I fear it could be well below freezing in their house before morning.

Power again.  This is something that's helpful when the power goes out.  Plus I've got a 19.2 v 6" job.  Use near an hour, recharge soon as the power comes on.

Edited by Ron Bulman
1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yeah. Power and heat back on, for about an hour probably.  2/3 of the time is better than no thirds, better than some have.  Daughter, son in law and 2 year old grandson left their house about 4:00 for his dads, no power since 7:00 am, down to 60, falling about 7 degrees an hour by then she said.  Worried about my mother in law and her husband, 80 and 85.  No power since 5:00 am, neighbor brought them coffee this morning, no way to heat or cook any food, told my wife we've got plenty of blankets, she called another neighbor asking him to check on them, wife got reamed on the phone, we're all right.  After a high in the low teens headed for 0 I fear it could be well below freezing in their house before morning.

Ron,

I've learned over the years that gas grills and fireplaces can be useful during these power outages.

Meanwhile, here's an authentic Native American weather alert from North Dakota today. 

7 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

I've learned over the years that gas grills and fireplaces can be useful during these power outages.

Meanwhile, here's an authentic Native American weather alert from North Dakota today. 

Thanks!  Wife laughed out loud too when I showed it to her.  Still friggin cold for here.  I guess 5's cold anywhere. 

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I read earlier Montana has the same grid company as Texas, Southern States I think?  Are they doing the rolling blackouts in Montana?  Oops, time's getting close for another one.  We were doing fine until they started.  Better go before I loose another post in mid sentence.

No. So few people I guess it doesn’t put too much stress on it.

I'm still thankful our power is still rolling off and on fairly regularly as opposed to those with none.  Heck of a way to live though.  Every time it goes off I pray that it will come back on before too long, before it starts getting really cold.  Thirty minutes later I'm saying come on, come on.  Then finally, so far, Thank You Lord.  The cold water coming back on after freezing up yesterday morning at 3 degrees when the high was 14 astounded me.  A miracle.  Keep on streaming (we're beyond the drip stage until 28 or so).  More on that local Saturday spreader event when I don't loose my connection after 30-40 minutes when the power goes off, again.

My condolences to you guys.That's really raw out there. Yikes, I can barely conceive of Houston's weather! The coasts are always a moderating influence.   It's good to see MSM give national attention to the problems in the so called "flyover" middle states.  It seems like if there's any major weather news not involving hurricanes or tornadoes, it's always about the Northeast. Yes there is a great population there. But it's always the one weather commiseration story every year.

They talk about MSM news being biased to the bi coastal. That's true, but we in the West  have  always thought that particularly weather and sports have always had an East Coast bias.

Everything is just completely normal here. I'm in Morro Bay, midway between LA and SF, and it was in the 60's today.

11 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

My condolences to you guys.That's really raw out there. Yikes, I can barely conceive of Houston's weather! The coasts are always a moderating influence.   It's good to see MSM give national attention to the problems in the so called "flyover" middle states.  It seems like if there's any major weather news not involving hurricanes or tornadoes, it's always about the Northeast. Yes there is a great population there. But it's always the one weather commiseration story every year.

They talk about MSM news being biased to the bi coastal. That's true, but we in the West  have  always thought that particularly weather and sports have always had an East Coast bias.

Everything is just completely normal here. I'm in Morro Bay, midway between LA and SF, and it was in the 60's today.

Kirk,

But wouldn't you agree that none of us will, ultimately, escape the ravages of catastrophic climate change?

I'm thinking of California's (and Colorado's) historically horrible forest fires last summer.

And now flyover country is under ice, in another strange latitudinal shift of the polar vortex.

The situation reminds me of the Robert Frost poem, Fire and Ice.

Fire and Ice

by Robert Frost

Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I know, I heard that Dave. He was easily appointed, got caught trying  to gut our postal service during an  an election in a pandemic. And we're still hearing his name? How come he's not out of here?

Agreed W. I think there's at least one person in your last thread whose a climate change denier who thinks it's a scam perpetuated by the elites.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

What must be paid attention to is the underlying changes at the USPS.  The biggest is a little known fact outside the post office.  First class mail is the ONLY mail that is legally protected (Federal Law) from being opened except under a legal order issued and approved by the USPS Inspection Service (through the courts).  Under the umbrella of First Class, this also includes Express Mail and Priority Mail services as well.  This also includes tampering (delay, destruction, etc.)  If First Class mail is infolded into other groups, this protection will be lost.  This is a very important concept that has been at the root of the viability and purpose of the post office since its inception.  Without it, there would be absolutely NO reason to use the USPS at all.  In my 30 years with the USPS, I witnessed at least a dozen people lose their jobs and some go to jail for failing to protect the sanctity of the mail.

48 minutes ago, Richard Price said:

What must be paid attention to is the underlying changes at the USPS.  The biggest is a little known fact outside the post office.  First class mail is the ONLY mail that is legally protected (Federal Law) from being opened except under a legal order issued and approved by the USPS Inspection Service (through the courts).  Under the umbrella of First Class, this also includes Express Mail and Priority Mail services as well.  This also includes tampering (delay, destruction, etc.)  If First Class mail is infolded into other groups, this protection will be lost.  This is a very important concept that has been at the root of the viability and purpose of the post office since its inception.  Without it, there would be absolutely NO reason to use the USPS at all.  In my 30 years with the USPS, I witnessed at least a dozen people lose their jobs and some go to jail for failing to protect the sanctity of the mail.

50 cents to send a letter across the country never ceases to amaze me.