Jump to content
The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Texans would willingly go without heat or electricity for days rather than give the federal government any more power...".

Not all of us Rick.  Bet it's not in the 30's to 40's in your house with no light in the dark or water for day's.

Rick Perry says Texans would rather go without electricity than give the federal government more power over them (msn.com)

I guess freezing to death at home does prevent the spread of covid, and the number of deaths reported from it.

Edited by Ron Bulman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again I'm lucky.  I mentioned Monday after the second rolling blackout I lost water with a low of 3.  I was incredulous when cold water came back on a couple of cycles later in our bathroom well before the hi of 14.  Then warm water came back.  After a low of 0 the kitchen water was still frozen, I figured until we hit close to 32.  Yesterday afternoon it came back on.  But drain pipe was frozen up.  Carry dripping water in pitcher and soup pan to toilet.  Dip sink out.  Heat water.  Pour down sink. Plunge. Repeat, while carrying drip water to toilet. Nothing.  Power goes out.  Walk back in kitchen, sink drained.

Why water is a huge issue for Texans right now (msn.com)

 

 

Edited by Ron Bulman
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

"Texans would willingly go without heat or electricity for days rather than give the federal government any more power...".

Not all of us Rick.  Bet it's not in the 30's to 40's in your house with no light in the dark or water for day's.

Rick Perry says Texans would rather go without electricity than give the federal government more power over them (msn.com)

I guess freezing to death at home does prevent the spread of covid, and the number of deaths reported from it.

        I'm truly sorry, Ron, to hear about what your family and many people in Texas (including my in-laws) are experiencing this week.  I read that El Paso and parts of the Texas Panhandle that are on the national (Western) grid have not suffered from the statewide power outages.

        What really sticks in my craw is the way that Governor Greg Abbot, Rick Perry, John Cornyn, Fox News, and the oil industry have tried to blame the utility failures in Texas on windmills.  What a crock.

        How many more historic failures of deregulated, laissez faire capitalism will it take for American citizens to finally realize that there is no "invisible hand" optimizing the public good, in the absence of rational governance?

        I believe in free market capitalism, but not without appropriate regulation in the public interest.

        Utilities are a classic example.  (So is healthcare.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

50 cents to send a letter across the country never ceases to amaze me.

Not only that, but you can consider it safe and secure with little regard that whatever you wrote or placed inside will arrive at its destination without having been read, scanned or in any way reproduced or transmitted to others.  (Unless, of course, you are being monitored because a court has found reason that you or the recipient are participating in some illegal scheme.  Even then, most of the time only the outside of the envelopes are copied to create timely records of the correspondence between the individuals/entities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your just sitting there wondering when.  Then no boom boom.  But out go the lights, the heat, tv, water, stove, microwave.  I kind of understand the anger in the song, though it doesn't justify the violence.  Mick Jagger's harmonica hero.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

        I'm truly sorry, Ron, to hear about what your family and many people in Texas (including my in-laws) are experiencing this week.  I read that El Paso and parts of the Texas Panhandle that are on the national (Western) grid have not suffered from the statewide power outages.

        What really sticks in my craw is the way that Governor Greg Abbot, Rick Perry, John Cornyn, Fox News, and the oil industry have tried to blame the utility failures in Texas on windmills.  What a crock.

        How many more historic failures of deregulated, laissez faire capitalism will it take for American citizens to finally realize that there is no "invisible hand" optimizing the public good, in the absence of rational governance?

        I believe in free market capitalism, but not without appropriate regulation in the public interest.

        Utilities are a classic example.  (So is healthcare.)

Avoidance of appropriate regulation in the public interest is exactly what caused this imho.

This song has been on my mind the last few day's.  For my fellow Texan's of all colors and faith's.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron,I've always thought your governor was a douche bag. It was just a feeling, so I felt like who am I to opine, it is your state and you are an informed citizen and I'm not. 

Have you heard his  denials , to Texas citizens, he's blaming it on logistics breaking down for natural gas, but when he goes on Fox News, he's blaming iti on AOC and the "Green New Deal, even though wind power is only 10% of your energy output and talks his Bible of big oil, because that's where his buddies have always made the most profit..

We in California got screwed by, was it Enron price fixers, 15 years ago, we paid exorbitant prices for energy that made it  possible the recall of the Governor and the  eventually  installation  of the terminator for a mediocre 1 term.

Vital industries such as energy and home heating have to have greater regulation and the citizens shouldn't  be mislead that they are better off with a system whose main attribute is greater profits for the already wealthy.

It might run into a second segment with Beto.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-brazen-lie-chris-hayes-calls-out-gov-abbott-fox-news-for-texas-power-grid-lies-101204037611

Edited by Kirk Gallaway
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Ron,I've always thought your governor was a douche bag. It was just a feeling, so I felt like who am I to opine, it is your state and you are an informed citizen and I'm not. 

Have you heard his  denials , to Texas citizens, he's blaming it on logistics breaking down for natural gas, but when he goes on Fox News, he's blaming iti on AOC and the "Green New Deal, even though wind power is only 10% of your energy output and talks his Bible of big oil, because that's where his buddies have always made the most profit..

We in California got screwed by, was it Enron price fixers, 15 years ago, we paid exorbitant prices for energy that made it  possible the recall of the Governor and the  eventually  installation  of the terminator for a mediocre 1 term.

Vital industries such as energy and home heating have to have greater regulation and the citizens shouldn't  be mislead that they are better off with a system whose main attribute is greater profits for the already wealthy.

It might run into a second segment with Beto.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-brazen-lie-chris-hayes-calls-out-gov-abbott-fox-news-for-texas-power-grid-lies-101204037611

I saw this once this morning then it disappeared though I didn't look for it last night after you posted it.  Chris Hayes does an excellent job calling out Abbott.

Another of our fearless leaders is back in the news this morning.  If Cruz want's to see a bigger hypocrite than the California Governor he should look in the mirror.  Kind of a reversal of if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.  If you can't stand the cold, fly to Cancun.

Senator Ted Cruz left Texas for Cancún as the state was battered by a brutal winter storm. (msn.com)

Our leaders, from Bush to Perry, Abbott, Cruz, Paxton and more make me think of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.  We are not worthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steady power for 24 hours now.  Hope I don't jinx it, predicted low of 11 tonight so all faucets still streaming.  The water heater can't keep up, tepid to warm.  Really looking forward to a hot shower.  Spit baths from a pan heated on the stove only go so far.  They said not to use the oven or washing machine to help conserve energy.  I'm on my last pair of fake wool heavier "hunting" socks.  Dirty dishes are stacking up, time to heat water for that if things don't get better tomorrow.  Still better off than many.  Cheated this morning.  After 12 hours of power had biscuits, from the oven.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for an article I read earlier I came across these.  The other one mentioned more deaths.  Not something the MSM want's to talk about much I guess.

Many Texans have died because of the winter storm. Just how many won’t be known for weeks or months. (ksat.com)

Climate Catastrophe In Texas And The Texans Are Freezing To Death | Countercurrents

At Least 10 People Have Died As Texans Struggle To Stay Warm During Power Outages And A Winter Storm (buzzfeednews.com)

A guy that went out to his truck for an oxygen tank and never made it back in.  Another who froze to death in his recliner inside his house in Abilene. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...