The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Pamela - you were once tainted by JVB, spent more time with her than just about anyone. Hey, I agree she is a TAINT, but let’s cut Stone a little slack. I could also point out his Putin interviews. But I hold off on condemning him for it. 

Au contraire, Paul.  I researched her and gave her the benefit of the doubt.  Not quite the same.  She is a litmus test as far as I am concerned.  My opinion.  I'm entitled.  

Wow, loved this review:

https://forward.com/culture/music/443087/no-youre-wrong-bob-dylans-17-minute-song-is-a-work-of-epic-genius/

Some new things I learned from it:

• A 1967 book about the JFK assassination is also titled “Murder Most Foul.” Written by Stanley J. Marks, it is subtitled “The Conspiracy That Murdered President Kennedy.”
  • Deep Ellum is a neighborhood in Dallas named after Elm Street. It is known for it rich musical history.
  • The line "When you go down on Deep Ellum, put your money in your socks" is a from the song "Deep Ellum Blues," which has been sung by many artists including Bob Dylan himself.

1 hour ago, Sandy Larsen said:

subtitled “The Conspiracy That Murdered President Kennedy.”

Sandy - Check out Jim Di's review - there is an enlightening discussion about the text of Stanley's book, as well as scans of the front and back covers. Marks also authored a number of other works about the assassination, some of which I have on hand.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-dylan-kennedy-sensation

He also discusses the book with Len Osanic on Black Op Radio: begins at the  1:00:18 mark:

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black985.mp3

Edited by Rob Couteau

10 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

Has anyone determined the significance of the line "Moonlight Sonata in F sharp", since the piece as written is actually in C sharp minor?

Look at that line and the line that followed it:

Play "Moonlight Sonata" in F-sharp
And "A Key [F-sharp?] to the Highway" for the king on the harp

F-sharp is a key, and the title of the song in the second line refers to a key. Maybe the king of the harp -- whoever that might be -- played "A Key to the Highway" using an F-sharp harmonica.

BTW, I listened to the beginning of "Moonlight Sonata" and it reminds me of a funeral march.

34 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Look at that line and the line that followed it:

Play "Moonlight Sonata" in F-sharp
And "A Key [F-sharp?] to the Highway" for the king on the harp

F-sharp is a key, and the title of the song in the second line refers to a key. Maybe the king of the harp -- whoever that might be -- played "A Key to the Highway" using an F-sharp harmonica.

BTW, I listened to the beginning of "Moonlight Sonata" and it reminds me of a funeral march.

Not if you hear it played well - in my opinion. 

59 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

They is only one King on the Harp:

"The song was a hit, spending fourteen weeks in the Billboard R&B chart where it reached number six in 1958.[6] After a six-year run of successful singles, Little Walter only had one charting single after "Key to the Highway". The song is included on several Little Walter compilation albums, including His Best. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_to_the_Highway

"You probably already know that 12 Bar Blues is the most common form in blues. What's the second most common?... 8 Bar Blues. Listen to Little Walter's version of "Key to the Highway." Knowing that 2 Draw is the root note of the I Chord (one chord), 1+ is the root note of the IV Chord and 1 Draw is root note of the V Chord, see if you can figure out the chord progression. You'll need your C Harmonica for this (the song is in the key of G).

"Hint, the first four bars is a standard V-IV-I-Turnaround, then it goes into an 8 Bar Progression."

https://www.bluesharmonica.com/8_bar_blues_key_highway_little_walter

Little Walter

Key To The Highway

Edited by David Andrews

10 hours ago, Rob Couteau said:
10 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

subtitled “The Conspiracy That Murdered President Kennedy.”

Sandy - Check out Jim Di's review - there is an enlightening discussion about the text of Stanley's book, as well as scans of the front and back covers. Marks also authored a number of other works about the assassination, some of which I have on hand.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-dylan-kennedy-sensation

He also discusses the book with Len Osanic on Black Op Radio: begins at the  1:00:18 mark:

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black985.mp3

Thanks Rob.

That actually clears up a little mystery for me. When I read in that review that Murder Most Foul was also the name of a JFKA conspiracy book, that sounded familiar to me. I thought that somebody must have already posted that fact here. But when I did a search on the forum for that book, I found nothing.

Now I know why I found nothing. It's because I read about the book in Jim's review, not on the forum!

Speaking of Jim's review, I should mention that the review that I liked so much and posted isn't in the same class as Jim's. His review goes much deeper and is more detailed. You really need to be a conspiracy student to fully grasp it. The others I've been reading are for the masses. And the one I liked was from among those.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Speaking of Jim's review, I should mention that the review that I liked so much and posted isn't in the same class as Jim's. His review goes much deeper and is more detailed. You really need to be a conspiracy student to fully grasp it.

Sandy, Thanks for your follow up note. I totally agree with your assessment: his review is really brilliant. And could only have been written after decades of careful, in-depth research. If you have a chance, catch the Len Osanic interview. It amplifies and expands upon it all quite well. And you have to love Len's enthusiasm.

Thanks gentlemen.  If I had to write that review again, it would be about 50 per cent longer.  That poem is that dense.

(Excuse me, I would have asked Mili Cranor to write more.)

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

(Excuse me, I would have asked Mili Cranor to write more.)

It's good to see you finally come clean, Jim.

LOL 😀

Lifton was too insightful Ron.  He even knew Cranor wanted to do a Hitchcock cameo.  I told her not too.  It would give the whole game away.