The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

On 4/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Kirk Gallaway said:

Wow that's a good article Dave. I was actually more interested in Phil Och's alleged knowledge of the JFKA beforehand,  than necessarily what was going through Dylan's head about the JFKA, though interesting. I'm aware of a lot of Och's early affiliations. I knew quite a few who were gung ho American, some who went to Nam, some not, who went through complete changes about American foreign involvements. I also had heard that story about Ochs narrowly averting capture in Bolivia.

Pam, that's funny, thinking "Like a Rolling Stone" might have been written about you!   ha ha!

Imagine that.  It shows how powerful Dylan's songs can be.  I did not even realize the effect it  had on me until recently, when I revisited his songs.  I think that is part of what makes his songs exceptional...

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, Martin Blank said:

The song could be about (seems to fit) Dylan's and Edie Sedgwick's relationship. she was a poor little rich girl who glommed onto andy warhol and his factory

I think so to. I wrote this poem from her point of view...https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2020/02/29/ballad-of-a-rolling-stone/

On 3/29/2020 at 1:24 PM, David Lifton said:

No, Vince.  It's not "[about] Lifton!"

Its about the data - data that establishes that President Kennedy's brain was (illicitly and covertly) removed from his cranium, prior to autopsy.

Dylan was using that to allude to the degradation of our society, and as evidence that,  as in Shakespeare, this was "murder most foul."

Let's put this in the context of your work, shall we?:  The possible disloyalty (and criminality) of this or that Secret Service agent would be about the data, and not "about Palamara."

DSL

Fair enough. Good to hear from you, David! I look forward to your next book. Your first book is a classic. :)

32 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

That’s Mike Bloomfield on lead.

Some in the crowd went from thinking Dylan a god to regarding him as the devil.

Something seems to have really hit home about this song--poem really.

It probably has to do with a music icon who arose in the sixties, now addressing what most acknowledge to have been the beginning of a long nightmare that left a huge after effect on the culture, history and sociology of the nation.

The You Tube official audio is now up to 3.25 million views.  When you add in what Tom O'Neill is doing on the Joe Rogan show with 2 million views, people who say the American public does not have an interest in this case are just full of it.

Edited by James DiEugenio

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Something seems to have really hit home about this song--poem really.

It probably has to do with a music icon who arose in the sixties, now addressing what most acknowledge to have been the beginning of a long nightmare that left a huge after effect on the culture, history and sociology of the nation.

The You Tube official audio is now up to 3.25 million views.  When you add in what Tom O'Neill is doing on the Joe Rogan show with 2 million views, people who say the American public does not have an interest in this case are just full of it.

I have to admit I am still quite puzzled by all this.  Dylan, by saying nothing -- except for the dumb Tom Paine award rant -- about the assassination until now leads me to consider him part of the Ongoing Coverup. With all his g'zillions of fans, if he had spoken up early, worlds could have turned upside down. Not that I am complaining that he is speaking out now...I am just not giving him a free pass.  In addition, he is buddies with Pres. Obama who must know where the skeletons lie.  Obama made sure Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg was safely out of the US on the 50th anniversary by making her, conveniently, Ambassador to Japan.  

So, what has changed?  I would love to know, but of course, Dylan won't tell us. 

24 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

With all his g'zillions of fans, if [Dylan] had spoken up early, worlds could have turned upside down.

How so Pamela? Virtually all of Dylan's fans probably already suspected a conspiracy, early on. As did more than half the public.

(Sorry to be contradictory, but I think you're being overly harsh on Dylan by considering him to be a part of the coverup.)

1 minute ago, Sandy Larsen said:
43 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

With all his g'zillions of fans, if [Dylan] had spoken up early, worlds could have turned upside down.

How so Pamela? Virtually all of Dylan's fans probably already suspected a conspiracy, early on. As did more than half the public.

(Sorry to be contradictory, but I think you're being overly harsh on Dylan by considering him to be a part of the coverup.)

Upon thinking on it a bit longer, I CAN see how terribly disappointed a fan would be that Dylan didn't speak/sing of this injustice early on.

Pam, I assume you didn't really meant Dylan coverup thing. But you kinda had me until  you got into that Obama thing. I would suspect Obama and Dylan's relationship is casual at best. If you're President Obama, you might find time to shoot hoops and play golf with Steph Curry but you don't have time to get high and talk obscure lyrics,and JFKA with Dylan.  But I agree, He didn't speak out for 50 years, but neither did the Kennedy family, which I'm pissed off about as well.

I can't know for sure, but my hunch is that Dylan is no JFKA conspiracy expert, and barely a buff. He never went through a period  in his life when all of his free time was devoted to investigating and researching the JFKA as the majority of us have. And if any of us had a conversation with him, that would be very apparent to us.  He probably reflects more on that time period now then he did back then, as hopefully any older person. But it's just the fact that he's Dylan and everybody blows up what he says. He loves throwing out inferences, but if asked directly about it, he'd just get coy and mischievously give what we would find a completely unsatisfying answer. And that's Dylan.

Oh yeah, if Zimmy came out with a Murder Most Foul in the 1960's maybe HIS world could have turned upside down!  With Hoover and Cointelpro + LBJ & Operation Chaos Bobby may well have experienced the kind of hassle meted out to Lennon in the '70's & we know what happened there!