The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

2 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

Well, I just had a chance to thank Bob Dylan for MMF and tell him what a firestorm his song has created in the research community.  Don't ask me how, it just happened...

How? Email?  Cerebrally? 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

How? Email?  Cerebrally? 

What does 'cerebrally' mean? That you don't take me seriously?  

I posted a good article about I Contain Multitudes on my Twitter feed, and he messaged me about it...

Edited by Pamela Brown

On 5/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, Pamela Brown said:

What does 'cerebrally' mean? That you don't take me seriously?  

I posted a good article about I Contain Multitudes on my Twitter feed, and he messaged me about it...

Sorry Pamela, I was mistaken.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:23 AM, Ron Bulman said:

Sorry Pamela, I was mistaken.

Very understandable.  I have someone with a long history with Dylan telling me it 'couldn't' be Dylan because he doesn't condescend to his fans, which makes sense, except for CV-19 which has shot all his tour plans and caused him to release MMF and ICM.  From all I know, Dylan has a weird sense of humor, and, if bored and isolated, I wouldn't put anything past him.  But we'll see.

Edited by Pamela Brown

This months Rolling Stone from home does a page on MMF.  A paragraph by Andy Greene and nine song line facts. E.G. Ferry Cross the Mersey was a 1965 hit by Liverpool band Gerry and the Pacemakers. 

19 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

This months Rolling Stone from home does a page on MMF.  A paragraph by Andy Greene and nine song line facts. E.G. Ferry Cross the Mersey was a 1965 hit by Liverpool band Gerry and the Pacemakers. 

Nice sourcing.  

Dylan also may have used Downard's King Kill 33 degrees for some of the masonic symbolism:

https://www.revisionisthistory.org/kingkill33.html

On 5/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, Pamela Brown said:

Very understandable.  I have someone with a long history with Dylan telling me it 'couldn't' be Dylan because he doesn't condescend to his fans, which makes sense, except for CV-19 which has shot all his tour plans and caused him to release MMF and ICM.  From all I know, Dylan has a weird sense of humor, and, if bored and isolated, I wouldn't put anything past him.  But we'll see.

I plan to write a blog post about my experience...

Edited by Pamela Brown

Rough And Rowdy Ways is Bob Dylan’s first album of original material in 8 years and his first since becoming the only songwriter to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature, in 2016. Its 10 tracks include the three new songs released this spring: the album’s lead-off track, “I Contain Multitudes,” the nearly 17-minute epic “Murder Most Foul” and “False Prophet.”

Good review of the flawed M$M response to Murder Most Foul at Russ Baker's Who What Why website today.

Nothing new for those of us who have read the DiEugenio review at Kennedys and King, but it is good to see another honest, accurate critique.

My only criticism of the piece is that they should have included a reference to the DiEugenio review of Murder Most Foul.

The article includes several links to archival Who What Why articles about the JFK assassination.

What Everybody Is Missing About Bob Dylan’s JFK Song

https://whowhatwhy.org/2020/05/09/what-everybody-is-missing-about-bob-dylans-jfk-song/

On 5/8/2020 at 1:01 PM, Pamela Brown said:

Here is the first glimpse of the blog post I will be writing about my experienc...https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2020/05/10/whats-up-mr-dylan-is-someone-posing-as-you/

Edited by Pamela Brown

On 5/8/2020 at 12:01 PM, Pamela Brown said:

I plan to write a blog post about my experience...

Interesting blog posts, Pamela, written with due dylagence.

I think you would find Sean Wilentz's book, Bob Dylan in America, quite interesting, especially with your experiences living in the Big Apple in the early 60s.

Dylan is large-- he contains millions-- and I'm amazed by people's differing perceptions of the man and his life work.

For example, you admire the Slow Train Coming album from Dylan' "Evangelical" period-- the only phase of Dylan's multi-faceted career with which I am unfamiliar.

And you disliked Like a Rolling Stone and Rainy Day Woman-- the first two Dylan recordings that I ever heard, over and over, on a Columbia 45 rpm in the 60s.

De gustibus non est disputandum!

As I recall, Rolling Stone magazine has rated Like a Rolling Stone the greatest rock song in history, and not without reason, IMO.

As for the rollicking "Salvation Army Band" single, Rainy Day Woman, from the Blonde on Blonde album, there is a terrific account of how it was recorded (in Nashville) in the Wilentz book. Al Kooper commented that "it's almost like Wilentz was in the room" during those all night recording sessions.

That is very interesting, his first original album in 8 years?

Started off with MMF?

That may go to number one also.  Good for us.

The You Tube version is now up to 3.5 million views. I wonder what the combined figures are?

Thanks for the shout out William, and I agree.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 5/9/2020 at 9:01 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Interesting blog posts, Pamela, written with due dylagence.

I think you would find Sean Wilentz's book, Bob Dylan in America, quite interesting, especially with your experiences living in the Big Apple in the early 60s.

Dylan is large-- he contains millions-- and I'm amazed by people's differing perceptions of the man and his life work.

For example, you admire the Slow Train Coming album from Dylan' "Evangelical" period-- the only phase of Dylan's multi-faceted career with which I am unfamiliar.

And you disliked Like a Rolling Stone and Rainy Day Woman-- the first two Dylan recordings that I ever heard, over and over, on a Columbia 45 rpm in the 60s.

De gustibus non est disputandum!

As I recall, Rolling Stone magazine has rated Like a Rolling Stone the greatest rock song in history, and not without reason, IMO.

As for the rollicking "Salvation Army Band" single, Rainy Day Woman, from the Blonde on Blonde album, there is a terrific account of how it was recorded (in Nashville) in the Wilentz book. Al Kooper commented that "it's almost like Wilentz was in the room" during those all night recording sessions.

Thank you. I just ordered a copy. 

I tuned Dylan out because of Rolling Stone, as it was too powerful for me. I graduated Phi Beta Kappa, etc, etc, from Bucknell U the year before it came out, and found myself homeless on the streets of New York after an argument with my mother, so I took it personally.  I can still hear his voice screeching, "How does it feel?" almost as though he had gotten inside my head. I hated that. That was the final straw for me at that time.

Now I realize that any song that makes an impact like that is extraordinary. I didn't know that then.

I learned about Dylan through the gospel albums,  just last summer.  I prefer Trouble No More, the bootleg series, to the studio recordings, even though they, with Jerry Wexler's help, are amazing.  

I was blown away by Blonde on Blonde, and enjoyed reading That Thin, Wild, Mercury Sound...https://www.amazon.com/That-Thin-Wild-Mercury-Sound-ebook/dp/B079MJMCP9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1GQDHEW9Z3YOD&dchild=1&keywords=that+thin+wild+mercury+sound&qid=1589164594&sprefix=that+thin+wil%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-5

Edited by Pamela Brown