The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

Dylan very recently gave an interview. Within that interview , he said: "

Was “Murder Most Foul” written as a nostalgic eulogy for a long-lost time?

To me it’s not nostalgic. I don’t think of “Murder Most Foul” as a glorification of the past or some kind of send-off to a lost age. It speaks to me in the moment. It always did, especially when I was writing the lyrics out."

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really good Chuck, can you url it?

14 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

My favorite Little Richard was "Slippin' and Slidin'." It was the flip side of one of his hits, I think "Long Tall Sally."

Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and hidin'
Been told a long ago
Slippin' and slidin', peepin' and hidin'
Won't be your fool no mo

Jeff Morley on the NY Times Dylan interview:

“Bob Dylan Has a Lot on His Mind,” the New York Times reported on June 12.  That’s for sure. In late March, as the COVID-19 pandemic shut down America, the 79 year old singer-songwriter released“Murder Most Foul,” an epic, 17-minute song-poem about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Since “Who killed JFK?” is one of the central questions of American history, you might think that the Times interviewer, historian Douglas Brinkley would ask the Nobel laureate about how he came to compose his dark and brooding take on November 22, 1963. You might think Brinkley, a CNN commentator, would ask Dylan why he decided to release the song as the country and the world reeled from a plague.

You might think wrong. Brinkley asked Dylan four questions about “Murder Most Foul,” none of which concerned Dylan’s thoughts about how and why the liberal president was shot dead in broad daylight, and no one was ever brought to justice for the crime.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/06/19/dylan-does-have-a-lot-on-his-mind-but-the-nyt-didnt-want-to-talk-about-it/

11 hours ago, Jeff Carter said:

Jeff Morley on the NY Times Dylan interview:

“Bob Dylan Has a Lot on His Mind,” the New York Times reported on June 12.  That’s for sure. In late March, as the COVID-19 pandemic shut down America, the 79 year old singer-songwriter released“Murder Most Foul,” an epic, 17-minute song-poem about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Since “Who killed JFK?” is one of the central questions of American history, you might think that the Times interviewer, historian Douglas Brinkley would ask the Nobel laureate about how he came to compose his dark and brooding take on November 22, 1963. You might think Brinkley, a CNN commentator, would ask Dylan why he decided to release the song as the country and the world reeled from a plague.

You might think wrong. Brinkley asked Dylan four questions about “Murder Most Foul,” none of which concerned Dylan’s thoughts about how and why the liberal president was shot dead in broad daylight, and no one was ever brought to justice for the crime.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/06/19/dylan-does-have-a-lot-on-his-mind-but-the-nyt-didnt-want-to-talk-about-it/

Three cheers for Jefferson Morley!

Now, if only someone would publish an essay about the NYT not wanting to talk about the explosive demolition of the 47-floor sky scraper, WTC7, on 9/11-- for the past 19 years!

https://media.tenor.com/images/039b76f457e474fccd92a26f5562393d/tenor.gif

Edited by W. Niederhut

Bob Dylan was vocal about the  murder of George Floyd in that NYT article.  I think he spoke from his heart.  For us in Minneapolis, especially, that was just awesome.

I agree with Jeff Morley that, had Dylan been asked, he might have given us rare insight into his feelings about the assassination.  

The NYT does not want to discuss this in order to control our reaction to the significance of MMF.  It is to be treated in an offhand manner -- only a song.  This seems to be dismissive -- it's ok to be a dilettante, but not a spokesperson.  I hope that Dylan will find another outlet to speak his mind. 

Edited by Pamela Brown

Very interesting NYT article.  Bob Dylan sounds like he's on the ball.  My copy of 'Rough & Rowdy Ways' is in the post.

4 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Very interesting NYT article.  Bob Dylan sounds like he's on the ball.  My copy of 'Rough & Rowdy Ways' is in the post.

Probably will not disappoint...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/20/bob-dylan-rough-and-rowdy-ways-review-enthralling-mischievous-and-very-male

Interesting spattering of reviews Dave. Dylan's kind of what everyone wants him to be.

I think in this Dylan really knows who C. O Brien is, and knows he's a big fan but doesn't see any % in getting in a long discussion with him.

That's my take.

https://youtu.be/VAtKojJlfZ4

I guess I'll have to order the album. I was a big Dylan fan back in the day. Though the first time I heard him (the old acoustical stuff) I didn't understand the appeal. He was an acquired taste. Actually my favorite Dylan song may not be a Dylan song at all but his great cover of Jimmie Rodgers' "My Blue Eyed Jane." (Not Dylan's old version but the later one with full band, it's on an album of Rodgers songs by various artists.) As for Dylan's other work, I've heard that another favorite of mine, "Mr. Tambourine Man," is about a dope peddler. Makes sense. Maybe it was inspired by "The Old Dope Peddler," a song on an old album by Tom Lehrer.

Edited by Ron Ecker