The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

15 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

I guess I'll have to order the album. I was a big Dylan fan back in the day. Though the first time I heard him (the old acoustical stuff) I didn't understand the appeal. He was an acquired taste. Actually my favorite Dylan song may not be a Dylan song at all but his great cover of Jimmie Rodgers' "My Blue Eyed Jane." (Not Dylan's old version but the later one with full band, it's on an album of Rodgers songs by various artists.) As for Dylan's other work, I've heard that another favorite of mine, "Mr. Tambourine Man," is about a dope peddler. Makes sense. Maybe it was inspired by "The Old Dope Peddler," a song on an old album by Tom Lehrer.

I might suggest borrowing it from the library first, if you're not sure you'll like it.  That is, if your library is open or at least has curb service...

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

I might suggest borrowing it from the library first, if you're not sure you'll like it.  That is, if your library is open or at least has curb service...

I object to the imputation that Ron Ecker doesn't rock 'n' roll.

Ron rocks!

26 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Ron rocks!

As I recall, Ron's favorite rock song is (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

But, as a former Peace Corps volunteer, I'm surprised that Ron wasn't more smitten by Dylan's 1963 acoustic number about the men who almost nuked the planet in '62 before, eventually, murdering JFK.

Edited by W. Niederhut

37 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

If you're old enough to remember the Twist, don't try to do it.

11 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

But, as a former Peace Corps volunteer, I'm surprised that Ron wasn't more smitten by Dylan's 1963 acoustic number about the men who almost nuked the planet in '62 before, eventually, murdering JFK.

Back in those days I only believed what the government told me, not what some kook like Bob Dylan sang. It took the full-fledged Vietnam War and (on JFK) two kooks named Jim Marrs and David Lifton to open my eyes.

4 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Dylan may have to police his own brand of Americana for cultural appropriation, under the New Sovietism.

Dylan named one of his great late period albums, Love And Theft, after an excellent book by Eric Lott which is about the roots of the appropriation of black culture. 

20 minutes ago, Robert Burrows said:

Dylan named one of his great late period albums, Love And Theft, after an excellent book by Eric Lott which is about the roots of the appropriation of black culture. 

It couldn't be as good as Love and Death, a Woody Allen movie about... I don't remember exactly, something about an old man who had this little piece of land.

1 hour ago, Robert Burrows said:

When I first heard the Love and Theft album I was so impressed by the brilliant song writing that I bought the (sheet) music book and recorded the whole album in my one man home studio band (minus two numbers.)  

Why?  Because Dylan's vocal cords were so shot by 2001 that I thought I could improve the product, even with my so-so vocals.

His subsequent song-writing on Modern Times and Together Through Life is also quite good.  (I'm less fond of his pre- Love and Theft late 90s album Time Out of Mind.  The critics loved it but, IMO, it was a somewhat murky recording.)

8 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Ron rocks!

Oh sorry!  I did not intend any such thing.  And besides, for a long time I didn't even think Dylan was rock n roll...

8 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Back in those days I only believed what the government told me, not what some kook like Bob Dylan sang. It took the full-fledged Vietnam War and (on JFK) two kooks named Jim Marrs and David Lifton to open my eyes.

I did not even know about Masters of War, or With God on Our Side, or even A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall back then.  I had tuned Dylan out because of Like A Rolling Stone, which paralleled my life at that time a bit too closely...so don't feel bad...

But now I can say with great enthusiasm, with MMF and Bob on our side, who is ever going to believe the Warren Commission Report?  

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

When I first heard the Love and Theft album I was so impressed by the brilliant song writing that I bought the (sheet) music book and recorded the whole album in my one man home studio band (minus two numbers.)  

Why?  Because Dylan's vocal cords were so shot by 2001 that I thought I could improve the product, even with my so-so vocals.

His subsequent song-writing on Modern Times and Together Through Life is also quite good.  (I'm less fond of his pre- Love and Theft late 90s album Time Out of Mind.  The critics loved it but, IMO, it was a somewhat murky recording.)

That is so interesting.  I did not basically like Love and Theft, and definitely did not think Dylan's voice helped. Good for you!  I have played some of his Trouble No More gospel songs and realize how much he puts into them that isn't in the sheet music.  

7 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

I did not even know about Masters of War, or With God on Our Side, or even A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall back then.  I had tuned Dylan out because of Like A Rolling Stone, which paralleled my life at that time a bit too closely...so don't feel bad...

But now I can say with great enthusiasm, with MMF and Bob on our side, who is ever going to believe the Warren Commission Report?  

The least controversial song that Dylan has ever written is probably "Wigwam." Here are the lyrics:

Da da dah da da.
Dada da-da dah de dum.
Da da-da dah da.
La da dah dede.
La dah dah dada dah.
Lah dada dah da-da dah.
Dah da dada dum dah.
La dah dah da-da dah dee.
Dah da daladah duh duh duh.
La dah dah da-da daaaaah.
Dah da dah uh uhhhhnn.
Da da dah da duhh.
/ Duh duh duh duun, da-da dah dah, da-da dah dahun da.
Du duh duh uh.
Dun dada dadada da.
Duh duh deeee de de dede da.
Nah nah a nah nah naaaah. /
La dah dede.
La dah dah da-da dee.
La dah dee.
Dun dun dun nee nah ha duh dee.
Dun nah na naha dee.
Da dada dah da da da dah.
La dah dah dada dah dee.
Du duh duh doo dee dede dee dede.