The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Sony's revenge?

David,

Sony or Langley?

The reason I asked the question is that it is no small thing for a mainstream media corporation to broadcast debunked allegations that someone is a pedophile, without even mentioning the exculpatory evidence. 

Yet, that is precisely what ABC did this week-- several hours after the story surfaced that Bob Dylan was out of the country in 1965 when the alleged pedophilia occurred.  And I think several other media corporations did the same, including CNN.

It wouldn't surprise me to see David Pecker and the National Enquirer engaging in this kind of scurrilous nonsense, but I'm truly mystified by the conduct of media corporations like ABC and CNN.

Since when do "reputable" media corporations engage in such severely defamatory journalism without even bothering to vet the details of the allegations?

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/20/2021 at 5:40 PM, W. Niederhut said:

David,

Sony or Langley?

The reason I asked the question is that it is no small thing for a mainstream media corporation to broadcast debunked allegations that someone is a pedophile, without even mentioning the exculpatory evidence. 

Since when do "reputable" media corporations engage in such severely defamatory journalism without even bothering to vet the details of the allegations?

There have been rumors for years that the Michael Jackson-Neverland Ranch stories blew up as big as they did because Sony wanted to bankrupt Jackson through legal costs, forcing him to sell his extensive song publishing catalog (Beatles, Elvis, et al), and leveraging him into unfavorable terms through a morals clause in his recording contract.

Song publishing has always been a dirty business.  Today the "'reputable' media corporations" are owned by rival conglomerates that also own record companies (Sony and Universal, the BD catalog competitors).  ABC may be owned by Disney, but the two biggest investors in conglomerates, Vanguard (majority holder of Disney and Warner Music) and Blackrock, have long reaches and multiple affiliations.  Who knows who's zoomin' who?

I see this as all in-house among the conglomerates, but who knows what CIA's investment reach is, since its financial restructure by A. B. "Buzzy" Krongard in the pre-9/11 years.  Need Tom Scully to parse this one.

Sony owns Dylan's first, and longtime, record company, Columbia-CBS.  Who knows how long institutional memory is over there - perhaps stretching back to 1965? 

Edited by David Andrews

On 8/20/2021 at 12:22 PM, Kirk Gallaway said:

There's nothing "macro" about this at all. She's going after Dylan's deep pockets and hopes to settle out of court. As far as the media carrying this story. In this day, it's called "news". You can expect them to report on an ongoing suit against a celebrity  like this every time. The reason is  that it is of interest to some people. People really eat this stuff up!

I agree this lawsuit certainly has some curious things about it.  The very last minute. Complaint written hastily or not vetted, more copy and paste. Intended to create as much turbulence as possible.  It does scream "You want me to go away!" But is it specious? I guess time will tell...

In the meantime, here another young woman's encounter(s) with Bob are described in a more positive way...she is a few years older than the woman in the complaint and lives in LA, not CT, so probably not the one this is about...

https://leighgbankspreservationsociety.blog/as-bob-sadly-face-sex-claims-from-a-jc-we-look-back-on-60s-teenage-wild-child-catherine-james/

From John Mayall's 'Blues from Laurel Canyon' album 1969 'Miss James'

I read about her in the magazine
The writer painted her in colors of a queen
Other people said bad things instead
So I was curious to check up what I'd read
But askin' around
She couldn't be found
Strange, elusive Miss James
Two weeks later, I was down the Shrine
Saw a pretty girl who would suit me fine
Rushin' around we forgot to trade names
I didn't connect her with the one they called Miss James
I was surprised
When I realized
The two were one and the same
I had the phone company give her number to me
I called her at home, she said she was alone
Would she see me tonight?
Yeah, that was alright

3 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

From John Mayall's 'Blues from Laurel Canyon' album 1969 'Miss James'

I read about her in the magazine
The writer painted her in colors of a queen
Other people said bad things instead
So I was curious to check up what I'd read
But askin' around
She couldn't be found
Strange, elusive Miss James
Two weeks later, I was down the Shrine
Saw a pretty girl who would suit me fine
Rushin' around we forgot to trade names
I didn't connect her with the one they called Miss James
I was surprised
When I realized
The two were one and the same
I had the phone company give her number to me
I called her at home, she said she was alone
Would she see me tonight?
Yeah, that was alright

Quite the charmer...

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

Quite the charmer...

🤣 Ha!  Bet they made a cute couple!

On 8/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, Pete Mellor said:

🤣 Ha!  Bet they made a cute couple!

Adorable!

Well, as Robert Burrows pointed out above, Dylan was on the West Coast throughout April of 1965-- in California, Oregon, and Vancouver.  And he was in the U.K. throughout May of '65.

This lady appears to be a fraud.

https://www.bjorner.com/65.htm#_Toc491265242

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

This is just the type person they'd drag out to smear Dylan: “During a difficult period, I cried out to the universe and I experienced this light beam which I knew was the all of one.”  It sounds like a lawsuit Janice Soprano would file.

Note that the girl JC identifies as herself in a photo with Dylan looks like an African-American, perhaps an Afro-Hispanic.  Wonder if the photographer has photos of her face.

Edited by David Andrews

On 8/17/2021 at 11:32 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

The thought occurred. 

But also, a rich celebrity male, or a prominent political figure, are targets for lawsuits and accusations. I am not here to defend rich celebrity males or pols, many of whom I am sure deserve even worse than they get. 

But we must adhere to the innocent until proven guilty in a court of law standard. 

Government impeachments and investigations can be smear jobs and nothing more. Accusations can be total fabrications. 

The Carter Page story is interesting. 

Probably not. Dylan may have been trolling with MMF.  The photo of JFK he used was used by the WC.  And in another song, he seems to take the opposite point of view:

https://dylagence.wordpress.com/2020/12/06/black-rider-a-bit-of-dylans-gallow-humor/

40 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

Here's a schedule, again.*  He was out of the country throughout the month of May.

It looks like he was in California, Oregon, Washington, and Vancouver from late March through April.

I wonder if Joan Baez or his band mates have commented on his whereabouts in April of '65.

https://www.bjorner.com/65.htm#_Toc491265242