The Education Forum

Ran into this set of documents re LHO at the Naval Criminal Investigative Service history website. I wasn't certain whether it's been posted or whether researchers here were aware of it so I thought I'd post the link just for drill.

https://ncisahistory.org/history-of-oni-ncis/operational-matters/criminal-investigations/lee-harvey-oswald-files/

5 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

Ran into this set of documents re LHO at the Naval Criminal Investigative Service history website. I wasn't certain whether it's been posted or whether researchers here were aware of it so I thought I'd post the link just for drill.

https://ncisahistory.org/history-of-oni-ncis/operational-matters/criminal-investigations/lee-harvey-oswald-files/

Bob,

Thank you. These are fascinating.

Steve Thomas

There was a time when the FBI was even monitoring his brother's mail - clearly the net for Oswald was wider than they would later admit. Given that the FPCC was on the subversive list as an organization I've often wondered why Oswald was not under some sort of surveillance in New Orleans (unless of course they knew that was not necessary). 

Hosty did visit the Paines on November the 1 - which may explain this document.  However it doesn't read quite like that.

We do know that an FBI pretext call was made to the TSBD to verify his employment there...apparently based on Ruth's information to Hosty.

Perhaps someone can refresh both our memories on how the FBI knew that Marina was staying with Ruth Paine.

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

Perhaps someone can refresh both our memories on how the FBI knew that Marina was staying with Ruth Paine.

Larry,

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/hosty.htm

Mr. HOSTY. On October 3, 1963, I received a communication from our New Orleans office advising that Lee Oswald and his wife Marina Oswald had left the New Orleans area a short time before. According to the communication, Marina Oswald, who was at that time 8 months pregnant, had left New Orleans with her small child, 2-year-old child, in a station wagon with a Texas license plate driven by a woman who could speak the Russian language. Lee Oswald had remained behind and then disappeared the next day. I was requested to attempt to locate Lee and Marina Oswald.
Mr. STERN. Did the request come to you personally?
Mr. HOSTY. To the Dallas office, and the case was then reopened to me. Dallas was an auxiliary office to New Orleans, and it was reopened. I had previously handled the case. It was reopened and assigned to me.
Mr. STERN. And by what office?
Mr. HOSTY. By the Dallas office, reopened the case in Dallas.
Mr. STERN. By the supervisor?
Mr. HOSTY. Supervisor of our squad, yes.
Mr. STERN. And what squad is that?
Mr. HOSTY. The internal security squad.
Mr. STERN. What did you do on October 3 and thereafter?
Mr. HOSTY. Well, there wasn't too much to go on, just a woman driving a station wagon with a Texas license plate. I went to the immigration office to check to see if they had any information, tried to determine if we had any persons around the area, I tried to think of anyone who spoke Russian who had a station wagon and who was a friend of Marina Oswald's. I went to Fort Worth and checked in his old neighborhood, Lee and Marina's old neighborhood, attempted to locate Robert Oswald, his brother, and determined that Robert Oswald had left the Fort Worth area, had moved to Arkansas.
I then sent out a lead to the Little Rock office which covered the area of Malvern, Ark., where Robert Oswald was living, and requested that he be contacted to see if he knew where Lee Oswald was. Then I continued checking through the Dallas and Fort Worth area attempting to determine if the Oswalds had returned to the Dallas or Fort Worth areas.

Mr. HOSTY. I then received a communication on the 25th of October from the New Orleans office advising me that another agency had determined that Lee Oswald was in contact with the Soviet Embassy in Mexico City in the early part of October 1963.
Mr. STERN. Did they tell you anything else?
Mr. HOSTY. No. Just very briefly that there had been a contact.
Mr. STERN. Did this increase your effort to find him?
Mr. HOSTY. Very much so, yes. I became curious then. Shortly thereafter, on the 29th of October, I received another communication from the New Orleans office advising that they had a change of address for Lee and Marina Oswald to 2515 West Fifth Street, Irving, Tex.
Mr. STERN. You received that information when?
Mr. HOSTY. On the 29th of October.
Mr. STERN. What did you do then?
Mr. HOSTY. Well, I went to--I checked the Dallas crisscross. Unfortunately Irving is a suburb outside of Dallas and people residing in Irving are not covered in the city directory, so it is very difficult to determine who resides at a given address in Irving. I then went out on the same date, on the 29th of October 1963, to the neighborhood of 2515 West Fifth Street, made inquiry at 2519 West Fifth Street, made what we call a pretext interview, and talked to a woman, whose name at that time I didn't know, but who I now know to be Mrs. Dorothy Roberts.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve, so then the real answer is that Marina was located via a postal change of address card which had been prepared and submitted as a joint change of address in New Orleans....wonder if Lee did that, or Ruth?   Seems unlikely Marina did it herself..

So what is kind of interesting to me:  you find this same document in the FBI's Oswald's FBI Mexico file.  https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=56971&relPageId=60&search="little_rock" AND paine

Now, this gets to one of the most interesting and (as far I know) still underdeveloped leads that Newman exposed years ago--  at the same time these things are happening, the FBI is actually investigating Oswald in Mexico *IN MEXICO.*  

http://www.jfklancer.com/backes/newman/newman_4.html

[QUOTE[

"It is important to see. I want you to see this because they have the full story up to this point, when they start investigating this, there's the Woolsey story, we saw it a minute ago, again 1 November, they send it down on 1 November to the FBI Office in Mexico City.

"And then we see some really interesting stuff. There's a guy by the name of Peck down there, C.B. Peck, who is investigating, this is Oswald's Mexico City file, FBI Mexico City file # 105-3702. And look at this! What's that? He does this on the 4th of November, 1963. And you're not allowed to know what it is. You don't have a need to know.

"This is on the 6th of November, this is Peck again, 'All Southern informants, including contacts Cuban and Soviet Groups contacted without result.'

"They are chasing the Cuban story down in Mexico City on the 6th of November, the FBI is in any event.

"All contacts with Mexican subversive organizations contacted. 11/6/63.'

[UNQUOTE]

Was there a connection between the FBI's effort to locate Oswald when they did and the FBI's investigation of Mexico pre-assassination?

Regards,

Stu

Hi folks,

Could be completely out of the loop or forgetting something here, so help me out. This is not a new document. https://ncisahistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/OSWALD-Lee-H-FBI-Source-reporting-on-Oswalds-contact-with-Soviets-in-Mexico-City-and-Washngton-OCT-181963.pdf

But I look at the date---  November 19, 1963.  Help me out:  I thought the "Comrade Kostin" material was supposed to have emerged exclusively from the letter Ruth Paine "discovered" and submitted *after* the assassination.  No?

-Stu

Results of Summary Court-Martial of Lee Harvey Oswald July 9 1958

https://ncisahistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Results-of-Summary-Court-Martial-of-Lee-Harvey-Oswald-July-9-1958.pdf

image.png.6560f62442392077cedba4cb934e980e.png

This seems so wrong on so many levels

When was the last time you ever heard of a Marine Private dumping a drink on his Sergeant, inviting him outside, and calling him yellow. No Marine Private I ever heard of – at least not one who expected to live very long.

Oswald, the teetotaller Oswald? The same Oswald who used to get onto Marina because she drank wine? That Oswald?

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 10:30 AM, David Andrews said:

Larry, re: the doc you linked to above --

Why were they looking for Oswald in Little Rock?

Is there another record that the FBI talked to Ruth Paine about Oswald on November 1, 1963?  Is it in the WR?  (I should know this, but I don't or have forgotten)

I have the Little Rock Files on Oswald. Some day i will try posting them