The Education Forum

Edwin Shrake's book "Strange Peaches"

Daniel Hopsicker wrote on Facebook today: Did y'all know the Kennedy assassination was solved by two sportswriters--Bud Shrake and Gary Cartwright-- from Dallas who never got invited to a single assassination researcher's conference?

Both guys knew Ruby, apparently.

From an Amazon review.

“The strength of the book is capturing the selfishness of the era.Rarely have more self-absorbed characters been put on print. The one of the great pleasures of the book is identifying the real life parallels. John Lee is Shrake himself. Buster is Gary Cartwright. Jingo, the star stripper, is the Jago,Ruby's star attraction. Big Earl and Little Earl are H.L. Hunt and Hassie Hunt. Clint Murchison, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys, Cowboys' QB Don Meredith,Shrake's literary twin Dan Jenkins, and North Dallas Forty author Peter Gent all show up in various incarnations.”

Edited by Anthony Thorne

Is it a novel or is it a profile of the city?

1975 Gary Cartwright article on Ruby. Some colourful stuff, and a few too many Warren Commission supporters quoted for my tastes.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/who-was-jack-ruby/

Article on Bud Shrake, mentioning his novel.

https://www.thewittliffcollections.txstate.edu/research/a-z/shrake.html

Edited by Anthony Thorne

1 hour ago, Anthony Thorne said:

1975 Gary Cartwright article on Ruby. Some colourful stuff, and a few too many Warren Commission supporters quoted for my tastes.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/who-was-jack-ruby/

Written in the "I saw it all, but search me as to what happened!" style of small-city reporters unto this very day.  Damn if he knows what went down.  A mystery forever.

Edited by David Andrews

Texas Monthly is one of the very worst publications ever on the JFK case.

Among other things, they published Ron Rosenbaum's hatchet job on the critics back in 1983, "Still on the Case".

That got that jerk Rosenbaum a gig on Nightline. Which jump started his national career. 

On 4/14/2020 at 9:25 PM, Douglas Caddy said:

Linda Minor wrote on Facebook today: "Did you know Bud Shrake lived ‘in sin’ for almost 20 years with Texas Governor Ann Richards?"

I did not know this.  Never saw anything about it in Texas Monthly or the Statesman.  True?

23 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Texas Monthly is one of the very worst publications ever on the JFK case.

Among other things, they published Ron Rosenbaum's hatchet job on the critics back in 1983, "Still on the Case".

That got that jerk Rosenbaum a gig on Nightline. Which jump started his national career. 

Yeah, they used Hugh Aynesworth for their feature article on the 50th.  I'd read Destiny Betrayed well before that point.  I let my subscription expire.  

Until last year.  They offered a really cheap subscription and are interesting on some other state related topics.  I know to take the politics with a grain of salt.

That is amazing that they used Aynesworth on the 50th.

I mean that guy has been exposed for decades on end and an intel asset.  And he lies about it.

To me for the Texas Monthly to do that is sort of like saying, "Yes, we know the guy is an asset, but we are in this way too deep and cannot reverse course."

What a disgrace.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/hugh-aynesworth-never-quits

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I did not know this.  Never saw anything about it in Texas Monthly or the Statesman.  True?

This was Linda's Minor's reply on Facebook to what Hopsicker said in the quotation about Shrake and Cartwright that I cited previously in this thread. Linda is the best and most accurate researcher I have ever known. She used to be or may still be a member of this forum.