The Education Forum

Gene Wheaton and Carl Jenkins

4 minutes ago, Gary Murr said:

Hi Matt:

Can you send me the MFF link [?] that indicates the sending of this letter regarding a boat? I might be able to shed some light on this from material in my AMWORLD file, but I need to see the document first.

Thanks,

Gary Murr

Gary,

Here is the link - https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=31773&relPageId=2&search=pacy

And thanks for all your help!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David:

No problem – and congratulations to you and Larry on this work. I hate to be a pest, but would you happen to have a link/reference to “the personal letter COS PACY sent Zamka…” apparently in the months prior to this document dated the day of the assassination? I am curious to see if it dovetails in the summer of 1963, say July – August.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

We have not located the original personal letter sent by the COS to Zamka with the specs. But we keep trying!

There were inquiries on AKLs sent to the US Navy during the summer of '63 for use by AMWORLD. 

Gerry Hemming did produce an interesting list of boats used by the CIA for Ops.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=105141&search=AKL#relPageId=119&tab=page

As a follow on to David's remark about Sturgis going to Dallas for Artime - one answer may well be the we do know Red Bird airport was used as a staging point for aircraft being reworked for sale or lease in CIA projects such as AMWORLD...Ray January was working with companies that did refurbishing and acceptance there.  That appears to have been a partial cover as the aircraft were then moved off to the Houston Air Center where the paperwork was actually completed for ultimate sale or lease, however the aircraft could be used by the CIA in the interim. 

You will find some discussion of that in our paper and more detail in Someone Would Have Talked (2010)...the initial research was done by Matthew Smith.

Its also worth noting that the abortive DRE bombing mission staged out of the New Orleans area in the summer of 1963 by Carlos and Victor Hernandez (and others) was very likely planned to use aircraft flown out of Texas, very likely staged from the Houston Air Center.

The Wayne January info was interesting; I did have some questions about his statements to the FBI regarding a couple's supposed trip to the airport with Oswald in the car. However it seems like he was a solid person; he was apparently a Mayor of his town at one point, and a pastor in later years.

Edited by Matt Allison

1 hour ago, David Boylan said:

Gary,

We have not located the original personal letter sent by the COS to Zamka with the specs. But we keep trying!

There were inquiries on AKLs sent to the US Navy during the summer of '63 for use by AMWORLD. 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=105141&search=AKL#relPageId=119&tab=page

Hi David:

Again, no problem and thanks for the information. I am familiar with Hemming’s document, having come across it during my research into AMWORLD. I found some of his claims regarding the maritime assets to be surprisingly accurate. It has been some time since I deeply researched this subject matter, but I still possess the belief that various “mother” ships utilized by Artime and his associates were given multiple names for the same vessel. I know that in the case of the Olga Patricia this suspicion on my part was accurate. They also used to fiddle with the registries of the maritime assets again in an effort to obfuscate their true identity and the purpose for which the vessels were being used. The reason I initially inquired as to the time frame for the as yet discovered 1963 original COS PACY letter to Zamka was to see if it had anything to do with the Olga Patricia. From my perspective “Panama” or Panamanian interests enter into the history of this AKL mother ship offered to Artime. I have a third party copy of a document issued from the notary public office of the Republic of Panama dated August 11, 1964 regarding the transfer of a “mortgage” held on the Olga Patricia by the Inter American Lines, Inc., drawn in favor of the Coconut Grove Bank in Florida. As you are probably aware, the issue of the Olga Patricia as an AMWORLD/Artime maritime asset was first offered in June of 1963. At that time it was acknowledged that the Olga was under charter to an unidentified “AMRUM corporation” but could be purchased for an asking price of $175,000. The creators of the cable outlining this potential deal, JMWAVE, felt that a deal could be reached at a lower selling price, in the range of $125,000 - $150,000. JMWAVE further indicated that if this deal was “done AMRUM Corporation could then sell vessel to corporation set up by AMBIDDY-1. Urge consideration of this proposal.” I believe the corporation that was eventually set up by Artime and associates, Maritime Bam, were involved in these dealings and may have even been involved in the mortgage transfer document of August, 1964. This same deal was put together by a Panamanian lawyer, Ricardo Vallarino Chiara.

My two cents FWIW

Gary

Thanks Gary. And your  2 cents is worth more due to inflation. 🙂

Gary, do you know if the Adelaide and the Joanne were the same ship? Adelaide was also the name of Artime's girlfriend at the time.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=62358&relPageId=49&search=adelaida

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=155433&relPageId=216&search=adelaida

David:

My short answer to this question is yes, I do believe that the “Joanne” and the “Adelaide” were one and the same. I am away from my research materials at the moment; when I get the chance I will see what I can find in the way of substantiation for this claim.

3 hours ago, David Boylan said:

Gary,

David, Larry- so we are seeing the reply part with the doc you link, is that correct?  So is it correct to assume we don't know the origin date of the original inquire letter sent by the COS?

Edit: okay, so it says the original letter was sent "several months ago". I'm not trying to get conspiratorial or make something out of nothing here, but I guess I just don't understand why this issue would be raised at that particular time.

Edited by Matt Allison

Matt,  what I can say is that beginning in that summer, JMWAVE and in particular Morales, had been tasked with providing certain support for AMWORLD,  but both of them were also engaged in covert maritime operations - using some of the same types of craft. Artime's purchasing effort only began to jell at the end of the year, but in several instances he was clearly given leads and introductions to the types of companies (and lenders / leasing agents) that JMWAVE itself had routinely  used. We do know that by November, "Manny Chavez"  (corrected in this edit in response to Paul catching my original mistake in this post). Manny Chavez had been a former desk mate of Morales at JMWAVE and had served with him earlier in other assignments as well. Chavez was assigned to work logistics with Artime's group - and as  you see in the study, he made a trip to Mexico that may have involved a stopover in Dallas.

Got off track there a bit but the point is that some level of correspondence between Morales and the Artime project, being run out of cover in Panama, might have been routine.  Its even possible they found a craft that they didn't need but thought JMWAVE might use it....Morales disagreed obviously.

Could it also mean something more than that...surely it could.  There is nothing as effective as hiding a message embedded in routine communications.

Edited by Larry Hancock

21 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

“This is fantastic work. I have a question about a doc that is mentioned in the appendix; it is about a boat Morales was contacted about the night of of the assassination and it refers to a CIA Chief of Station named Pacy. As that would have to be a pseudonym, is there any knowledge of the  COS' true name?”

I found one location code connected to PACY:

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/104-10071-10203.pdf

16-7    (Panama City ?)

And Three more that carry just that location code:

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10120-10165.pdf

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10167-10132.pdf

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10167-10126.pdf

10132 mentions QDCHAR - Marcos Diaz Lanz, brother of Pedro Diaz Lanz.as per MFF. It is a 1959 document.

QDALUM Is also noted in that document, but has no entry in MFF.

QDARBOR Is also noted in that document, but has no entry in MFF.

Edited by Michael Clark

Yes, Barney is one of several CIA officers with a history all the way back to the formation and training of the Brigade.  Several of the CIA officers stayed involved with anti-Castro activities, or at least assigned within Western Hemisphere, for a considerable time. Sometimes its difficult to remember that the CIA remained engaged with Cuba in a number of ways for  years after 1963 - even though it didn't really have a significant high level priority after Johnson took office. 

Apologies for getting OT, but re-reading about Hidalgo I am reminded that by his own admission he was very tight with Phillips, and Phillips recruited him to lie to the HSCA about "Maurice Bishop".

Hidalgo was also intertwined with Carlos Bringuier's niece, Maria Del Carmen, who was acting as a mole for US intelligence while investigating the Communist Party in Mexico. And we know from his 1960s letters from prison that Richard Nagell also had dealings with Maria Del Carmen.