The Education Forum

Turner Classic Movies Today

Pretty good lineup beginning at  11 a.m. Eastern with the documentary “Primary” about the 1960 Democratic primary in Wisconsin by Albert Maysles and D.A.Pennybaker, followed by, in order:

12:30 Executive Action

2:15 The Candidate

4:15 Gabriel Over the White House — A Depression-era, pre-code political gem with Walter Huston starring — financed by William Randolph Hearst to promote his populist/fascist views

5:45 Seven Days in May 

Wow, thanks for heads-up. TCM almost bagged me the other day, showing Lana Turner movies.

They ran PT-109 recently. I meant to, but failed to give alert. So, good on you.

Definitely will record the 1960 documentary.

Maybe I've seen some of that Gabriel movie before, without knowing the Hearst connection. Interesting.

I made a point of getting Executive Action on DVD.

The Candidate is good, and I should watch it again. Seven Days In May got out-done by reality. I enjoy watching it almost like I do Fail-Safe or Dr. Strangelove. My favorite political movie, though, is Bullworth.

In the November 22, 1963, issue of the New York Times, there is

a full-page, back-page advertisement for SEVEN DAYS IN MAY.

It and DR. STRANGELOVE were supposed to be released in

1963 but were pushed back until the following year because

of the assassination, and STRANGELOVE underwent some changes. The handwriting on the invitation below is Kubrick's.

DPM6IQOVAAACi_l.thumb.jpg.016a442c17b825617647e26d215f3f0a.jpg

14 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Pretty good lineup beginning at  11 a.m. Eastern with the documentary “Primary” about the 1960 Democratic primary in Wisconsin by Albert Maysles and D.A.Pennybaker, followed by, in order:

12:30 Executive Action

2:15 The Candidate

4:15 Gabriel Over the White House — A Depression-era, pre-code political gem with Walter Huston starring — financed by William Randolph Hearst to promote his populist/fascist views

5:45 Seven Days in May 

I’m recording a few of them. But the best one isn’t showing - Dr. Strangelove. I keep a copy in case my friends have never seen it.

Edited by Paul Brancato

6 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Another photo I took of JFK

Thanks for posting these, Joe. How lucky that you were there! My parent's took me to see JFK campaign in Brooklyn circa 1960, but I was only four years old - too young to remember.

Edited by Rob Couteau

In 1962, when I was three, Nelson Rockefeller landed in a helicopter in our little town, running for re-election as New York's governor.  My mother took me to see him, and as an older child I was shown a photo of Rocky shaking my hand, which I cannot find today.

It is from that moment that I date my personal corruption.

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

In 1962, when I was three, Nelson Rockefeller landed in a helicopter in our little town, running for re-election as New York's governor.  My mother took me to see him, and as an older child I was shown a photo of Rocky shaking my hand, which I cannot find today.

It is from that moment that I date my personal corruption.

Wash your hands, often.