The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

16 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Trump's anti-Muslim blather dove-tailed superficially with the old "War on Terror" concept, except for the fact that none of the Bush-Cheney era boogeymen-- Al Qaeda, Al Nusra, ISIS, et.al.-- were Shiites from the countries Trump targeted for condemnation, as opposed to the sword-dancing Saudis!

It also aligned with the eight year old Karl Rove propaganda meme about Obama being a Muslim who was going to destroy Christendom.

I forgot to mention that Swaggart also cited Trump's support for Israel in calling him perhaps the greatest president ever, though that's less important than the abortion issue. Aside from the obvious biblical reasons, supporting Israel can be said to dove-tail with Trump's "anti-Muslim blather" in that most of the Muslims countries are anti-Israel and thus enemies of all Christians who look forward to the New Jerusalem.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

If Trump supporters are to be belittled on religious grounds, than at least the Atheist can do so and remain logically consistent. The Atheist can argue that God does not exist, using a lack of scientific evidence as an argument, for example. The Atheist can not argue that God does not exist, except for the Presbyterian version of God.

Therefore, the Astrologer's and the Satan aficionado's (the Wizard) superiority over the Trump Voting Evangelicals is not a function of the Evangelical inability to comprehend the scientific evidence that purports to reject the existence of God. Rather, their license to belittle arises from a conviction that they know the nature of God better. 

Our license to belittle Trumpster Bible-thumpers stems from their support for a man who ordered 5400 children taken from the arms of a parent or two and then thrown into cages indefinitely, at least 1000 permanently.

Or sending US troops to tear gas peaceful protesters so Trump could pose in front of a church with a Bible.

Or seeking to deprive 20 million people of health insurance in the middle of a pandemic.

Or pursuing a policy of “herd mentality” [sic] usually referred to as “herd immunity” which will result in the unnecessary deaths of millions.

I haven’t a clue as to the nature of God but the nature of evil is apparent.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Regeneron board member and executive sell $1 million in stock after Trump touts treatment

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/regeneron-board-member-executive-sell-1-million-stock-after-trump-n1242762?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

“The New York Times reported that Trump’s financial documents reveal the president’s three family trusts held investments in Regeneron as well as pharmaceutical giant Sanofi, which itself is a major shareholder in Regeneron. His 2017 filing with the U.S. Office of Government Ethics disclosed shares in Regeneron, but they did not appear on his 2020 filing.

A Regeneron company spokesperson said Goldstein and McCourt’s stock sales were pre-planned through a mechanism designed to avoid accusations of insider trading and were automatically triggered by the stock hitting certain levels.

After NBC News asked for copies of the plans, Bowie said, “The plans themselves are not public.”

Accountable Pharma, a campaign of the watchdog group Accountable.US, said the sales raised potential ethical concerns for the Trump administration and the drug company executives and called for an “investigation.”

"This is the latest case in a clear pattern of President Trump pumping up stocks with his 'miracle cure' hype and pledges of taxpayer dollars while drug company executives dump their shares and guarantee they come out ahead whether their treatment works or not,” spokesman Eli Zupnick said in an email.

“There should absolutely be an investigation to determine whether there were any improprieties regarding these stock sales, including any potential government action taken to enrich President Trump or his political advisers," he wrote.”

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Or pursuing a policy of “herd mentality” [sic] usually referred to as “herd immunity” which will result in the unnecessary deaths of millions.

Cliff,

Make no mistake about it.

Herd immunity means culling the herd.

You weed out the weak, the sick and the infirm.

Steve Thomas

10 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

The so-called Christian support for Trump boils down to one central issue which has nothing to do with his complete lack of character and morality, and which the linked article doesn't even mention. That issue is abortion, and getting the right judges in place is therefore all that matters.

I heard this expressed in the most disgusting terms imaginable just this morning by one of the most famous Christians on Earth. In his internationally televised Sunday morning service, Jimmy Swaggart said "I thank God for our president, he is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, president in the history of our country." Then he made it clear why he says that in one sentence: "How anyone can vote for someone who supports abortion I don't know." 

Any questions?

That the "Christians" who support Donald Trump are willing to ignore the fact that one of the therapies that Donald Trump hailed as "...miracles coming down from God..." was developed by using the kidney cells of an aborted fetus speaks volumes about their hypocrisy.

That the "Christians" who support Donald Trump applaud as he cages children, who have been ripped from the arms of their parents, are willing to ignore the words of their savior:

"I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."

speaks volumes about their moral turpitude.

Trump's base is base. 

Edited by Robert Burrows

16 minutes ago, Robert Burrows said:

That the "Christians" who support Donald Trump are willing to ignore the fact that one of the therapies that Donald Trump hailed as "...miracles coming down from God..." was developed by using the kidney cells of an aborted fetus speaks volumes about their hypocrisy.

From White House press conference:

Reporter:  Mr. President, did you know that the cells used in your treatment came from an aborted fetus?

Trump:  That's a nasty question. I know nothing about that. I never met him. I don't know who he was. You are a horrible reporter. Next question. You, the woman in back with the ugly face.

This coming one week after Michigan.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

"The FBI and Law Enforcement must focus their energy on ANTIFA and the Radical Left, those who have spent the summer trying to burn down poorly run Democrat Cities throughout the USA!"

6:59 AM · Oct 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

What is orange and has mush inside and you get rid of in early November?

Steve Thomas

On 10/12/2020 at 8:44 AM, Steve Thomas said:

This coming one week after Michigan.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

"The FBI and Law Enforcement must focus their energy on ANTIFA and the Radical Left, those who have spent the summer trying to burn down poorly run Democrat Cities throughout the USA!"

6:59 AM · Oct 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Steve Thomas

Edited by Robert Burrows

59 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

You are right again Niederhut.

The War on Terror "blather" was definitely red-meat for traditionally Republican voters. (My self included.) In 2016, your average potential Trump Voter was also a Romney voter, McCain voter, Bush II voter, (Repubs. all the way back to Ike for someone as old as my father.)

Whether Trump knew what he was doing or not, Republicans like me were not going to support Trump if he did not hold to the Bush II, Romney, McCain worldview of the dangers of Muslim Extremism.

As you know, Niederhut, many on the Right, like myself, are not as sharp as those more to the Left, like yourself, so it took us awhile to figure out that all those Shiite's are not that threatening. Better yet, if you don't give them a bunch of guns and missiles, they are even less threatening. 

Basically, if Trump has taught us one thing, it's that the Bush/Romney/McCain wing over-hyped the Muslim threat. 

The "blather", intended or not, got him in Office. Once in Office, many on the Right have come to the realization that Bush with the Afghanistan and Iraq was making things up, and that Obama, with Libya and Syria, was also making things up.

I think we can both agree that the "blather" is better than the Bombing of another Middle East country under the pretense of a threat that barely ever existed.

PS: The Sword Dance marked a break from the "pro-Bush/Obama/Clinton" faction of the Saudi Royal family. It may have looked silly, but it was a pretty meaningful turn away from the Saudi factions that funded the arming of Shiite Groups who would otherwise remain materially less threatening if they did not have the weapons to threaten people.

News flash, Rob.  The Saudis and the UAE have never funded Shiites.  They have funded Sunni militants like Al Qaeda, Al Nusra, and ISIS-- the "terrorists."

So, naturally, Trump's first state visit as POTUS was to Riyadh, where he did the sword dance with Mohammed Bin Salami.

Flood of Democratic Mail-In Votes Swamp Republicans In Key State Early Balloting

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrat-absentee-ballot-record-gop_n_5f83b2a8c5b6e6d033a43a75

In Wisconsin, about 146,000 people voted by mail in 2016. So far this year, about 647,000 people have voted by mail, many in Democratic strongholds.

A full 36% of the total number of all votes in 2016 in Wisconsin’s overwhelmingly Democratic Dane County, which includes Madison, have already been cast by absentee ballot, the Times reports. But voters in Republican-leaning regions in Wisconsin are generally voting early by mail no more than the previous average, according to the newspaper.

The pattern is being repeated in Pittsburgh, North Carolina’s Chapel Hill, Houston, and in Tampa, Florida, according to the Times.

Republican voters may have taken to heart President Donald Trump’s repeated dire and unfounded warnings about faulty mail ballots, while Democrats ignored them. Bad weather, fears of catching COVID-19 and long, slow lines could further discourage GOP voters who wait for Election Day to head to the polls.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Steve Thomas

That must be the pumpkin left over from Halloween. 

W. said;

News flash, Rob.  The Saudis and the UAE have never funded Shiites.  They have funded Sunni militants like Al Qaeda, Al Nusra, and ISIS-- the "terrorists.

Exactly W. and the ignorance on the right continues! Trump is employing a wedge by cutting off the treaty with Iran and trying to isolate Iran by using the greatest source of terrorism in the region, the UAE and the Saudis. These sort of Trump Machiavellian  stunts, befriending bloody dictators are risky at best.

Whatever is said about Iran, yes, they still have the backwards Shiite government element. But they are a Democracy, largely Westernized with many older people who hated the Shah and wanted change, but fondly remember the prosperity during the years of the U.S.- Shah alliance. The woman who cuts my hair is Iranian. Unfortunately she went back to Iran because she for months  had no employment in California because of the covid lockdown.

The  U.S.  policy re Iran for the last 40 years is similar to Cuba. They've been starving them out, propagandizing that they are just to about to crack at any time and will become another Western gung ho capitalist society soon. The Iran treaty is really no brainer. There are sizable amounts of people on both sides who wanted it to happen. We  can argue about the overall value of bringing lots of U.S.corporate influences to Tehran, Havana or Minsk. I understand but it does have a stabilizing influence between countries.

Early voting started in Georgia today.

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, voting lines in Atlanta started forming at 4:00 AM, and people are waiting as long as 3 hours to vote.

As my wife put it, Donald Trump made the mistake of telling Americans that they couldn't vote. That's the one thing you should never do.

As she put it, "Don't tell us you're not leaving. We'll tell you, oh yes, you are."

Steve Thomas