The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I never said that.  Why are you making up this fiction?

Allergic to research?

OK, I engaged in a little hyperbole. 

If you say Twitter enhanced prospects for right-wingers more than left-wingers, then I accept that as the truth as...you are "Our Man in San Francisco." 

Someone should have informed the people inside the Twitter HQ in The City. In the bowels and private conference rooms of the HQ, what were they doing? 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

19 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

OK, I engaged in a little hyperbole. 

If you say Twitter enhanced prospects for right-wingers more than left-wingers, then I accept that as the truth as...you are "Our Man in San Francisco." 

Again with the shady rhetoric?

Twitter admitted it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/22/twitter-admits-bias-in-algorithm-for-rightwing-politicians-and-news-outlets

19 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Someone should have informed the people inside the Twitter HQ in The City. In the bowels and private conference rooms of the HQ, what were they doing? 

Would it kill you to do a little research on algorithm bias?

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/radical-ideas-social-media-algorithms/

1 hour ago, Cliff Varnell said:

You are the north-star on all things San Francisco. I need no other information. 

9 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

You need to make it about me given the severity of your confirmation bias.

I salute you, with earnest fervor. 

That said, a cynic might note the article in the far left-wing The Guardian is more than one-year old, and cites a study done by Twitter insiders on Twitter. 

Now, some craven snivelers might not trust a study done by an organization on itself. You know, like the Pentagon reporting on how much waste there is in the Pentagon. 

But I am no cynical craven sniveler. 

You are the North Star, the weather-vane, the GPS-assisted interactive map on all things San Francisco. 

4 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

They aren't independent, Ben. If they were, then people would consider them real journalists rather than mouthpieces for the right-wing.

Well you're right Matt, in 2013  Greenwald and Laura Poitras were given 250 million dollars from Ebay founder Pierre Omidyar, for their  startup, The Intercept! Just to put that in perspective The New York Times, which has about 1,200 journalists on its payroll, has an annual newsroom budget of around $200 million.  Greenwald left the intercept 2 years ago.

But there's more. The Reality Winner story is tied to Greenwald's Intercept.The earlier release of the Snowden domestic surveillance files "caught the attention of a naïve National Security Agency linguist with the improbable name of Reality Winner in 2017. Ms. Winner, then 25, had been listening to the site’s podcast. She printed out a secret report on Russian cyberattacks on American voting software that seemed to address some of Mr. Greenwald’s doubts about Russian interference in the 2016 campaign and mailed it to The Intercept’s Washington, D.C., post office box in early May.

The Intercept scrambled to publish a story on the report, ignoring the most basic security precautions. The lead reporter on the story sent a copy of the document, which contained a crease showing it had been printed out, to the N.S.A. media affairs office, all but identifying Ms. Winner as the leaker.

On June 3, about three weeks after Ms. Winner sent her letter, two F.B.I. agents showed up at her home in Georgia to arrest her. They announced the arrest soon after The Intercept’s article was published on June 5."

They ended up leaving her twisting in the wind and she's now serving 5 years and 3 months in prison because Free Speech absolutist Glenn Greenwald and Sidney Poitras didn't end up protecting  her.

“They sold her out, and they messed it up so that she would get caught, and they didn’t protect their source,” her mother, Billie Winner-Davis, said in a telephone interview last week. “The best years of her life are being spent in a system where she doesn’t belong.”

Reality Winner, a former National Security Agency linguist, is serving a prison sentence of five years and three months for mailing a classified U.S. report to The Intercept.

They clearly blew it and are all left blaming one another.
Do you think that might be why Mr. Greenwald has been increasingly engaged in the bitter feuds with the Democrats? I'd imagine they are just like Glenn's tweets diatribes, for people who just need to confirm all their biases over and over again.

www.nytimes.com/2020/09/13/business/media/the-intercept-source-reality-winner.html

*To those who think that the MSM including the NYT is   completely in bed with the NSS, in this article written 2 years ago, one of the opening paragraphs is this below.
It actually makes sense , they stick up for press freedoms because they may have to face the same problem with government disclosures themselves. Duh!

"The huge breach of the National Security Agency’s domestic surveillance program in June 2013 was one of the proudest moments in modern journalism, and one of the purest: A brave and disgusted whistle-blower, Edward Snowden, revealed the government’s extensive surveillance of American and foreign citizens. Two journalists protected their source, revealed his secrets and won the blessings of the Establishment — a Pulitzer Prize and an Oscar for it."
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

6 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Well you're right Matt, in 2013  Greenwald and Laura Poitras were given 250 million dollars from Ebay founder Pierre Omidyar, for their  startup, The Intercept! Just to put that in perspective The New York Times, which has about 1,200 journalists on its payroll, has an annual newsroom budget of around $200 million.  Greenwald left the intercept 2 years ago.

But there's more. The Reality Winner story is tied to Greenwald's Intercept.The earlier release of the Snowden domestic surveillance files "caught the attention of a naïve National Security Agency linguist with the improbable name of Reality Winner in 2017. Ms. Winner, then 25, had been listening to the site’s podcast. She printed out a secret report on Russian cyberattacks on American voting software that seemed to address some of Mr. Greenwald’s doubts about Russian interference in the 2016 campaign and mailed it to The Intercept’s Washington, D.C., post office box in early May.

The Intercept scrambled to publish a story on the report, ignoring the most basic security precautions. The lead reporter on the story sent a copy of the document, which contained a crease showing it had been printed out, to the N.S.A. media affairs office, all but identifying Ms. Winner as the leaker.

On June 3, about three weeks after Ms. Winner sent her letter, two F.B.I. agents showed up at her home in Georgia to arrest her. They announced the arrest soon after The Intercept’s article was published on June 5."

They ended up leaving her twisting in the wind and she's now serving 5 years and 3 months in prison because Free Speech absolutist Glenn Greenwald and Sidney Poitras didn't end up protecting  her.

“They sold her out, and they messed it up so that she would get caught, and they didn’t protect their source,” her mother, Billie Winner-Davis, said in a telephone interview last week. “The best years of her life are being spent in a system where she doesn’t belong.”

Reality Winner, a former National Security Agency linguist, is serving a prison sentence of five years and three months for mailing a classified U.S. report to The Intercept.

They clearly blew it and are all left blaming one another.
Do you think that might be why Mr. Greenwald has been increasingly engaged in the bitter feuds with the Democrats? I'd imagine they are just like Glenn's tweets diatribes, for people who just need to confirm all their biases over and over again.

www.nytimes.com/2020/09/13/business/media/the-intercept-source-reality-winner.html

*To those who think that the MSM including the NYT is   completely in bed with the NSS, in this article written 2 years ago, one of the opening paragraphs is this below.
It actually makes sense , they stick up for press freedoms because they may have to face the same problem with government disclosures themselves. Duh!

"The huge breach of the National Security Agency’s domestic surveillance program in June 2013 was one of the proudest moments in modern journalism, and one of the purest: A brave and disgusted whistle-blower, Edward Snowden, revealed the government’s extensive surveillance of American and foreign citizens. Two journalists protected their source, revealed his secrets and won the blessings of the Establishment — a Pulitzer Prize and an Oscar for it."

Glenn Greenwald left The Intercept, more than two years ago. 

The way The Intercept handled the Reality Winner case is unforgivably and horrifyingly incompetent (at least what we know). 

Greenwald was in Brazil. 

I wish Biden would pardon Winner and Assange. 

20 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I salute you, with earnest fervor. 

That said, a cynic might note the article in the far left-wing The Guardian is more than one-year old, and cites a study done by Twitter insiders on Twitter. 

Careful readers will notice I cited two sources for the Twitter study, a similar study on Facebook, and an article on how algorithm bias works on social media.

Lead a horse to water...

28 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Well you're right Matt, in 2013  Greenwald and Laura Poitras were given 250 million dollars from Ebay founder Pierre Omidyar, for their  startup, The Intercept! Just to put that in perspective The New York Times, which has about 1,200 journalists on its payroll, has an annual newsroom budget of around $200 million Greenwald left the intercept 2 years ago.

Ben: Glenn Greenwald left The Intercept, more than two years ago. 

Read it again, Ben. I already told you that. (above)

BEN: Greenwald was in Brazil

As we said. He's still running the Intercept until 2 years ago. Does the buck ever stop anywhere? Or is he like Trump?

You can always do some research and read the link.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

5 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Read it again, Ben. I already told you that.

You can always do some research and read the link.

That's fine. I'll leave state-managing show to you. I am just up in the peanut gallery. 

But what this got to do with Twitter specifically suppressing the Hunter Biden story? 

9 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

The Three Stooges of RussiaGate Denial: Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, and Aaron Mate.

Add in Bret Stephens of The New York Times. He called Russiagate "an elaborate hoax." 

"To this day, precious few anti-Trumpers have been honest with themselves about the elaborate hoax — there’s just no other word for it — that was the Steele dossier and all the bogus allegations, credulously parroted in the mainstream media, that flowed from it."---Bret Stephens. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/21/opinion/bret-stephens-trump-voters.html

Man, that guy Stephens is even more off-base than Mate, Greenwald and Taibbi! 

What do make of that? 

18 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Add in Bret Stephens of The New York Times. He called Russiagate "an elaborate hoax." 

"To this day, precious few anti-Trumpers have been honest with themselves about the elaborate hoax — there’s just no other word for it — that was the Steele dossier and all the bogus allegations, credulously parroted in the mainstream media, that flowed from it."---Bret Stephens. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/21/opinion/bret-stephens-trump-voters.html

Man, that guy Stephens is even more off-base than Mate, Greenwald and Taibbi! 

What do make of that? 

RussiaGate had nothing to do with the Steele Dossier.  Mueller was appointed special counsel because Trump fired Comey.

Mueller didn’t go after Trump’s shady finances, his grifting children, or a sit down interview — and he let Bill Barr’s misrepresention of the report stand for two months without a correction.

Bret Stephens is a neo-con.  I thought you didn’t like neo-cons, Ben.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

29 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

RussiaGate had nothing to do with the Steele Dossier.  Mueller was appointed special counsel because Trump fired Comey.

Mueller didn’t go after Trump’s shady finances, his grifting children, or a sit down interview — and he let Bill Barr’s misrepresention of the report stand for two months without a correction.

Bret Stephens is a neo-con.  I thought you didn’t like neo-cons, Ben.

Yes, although I no longer can tell the difference between neo-con and neo-libs. 

"Former Central Intelligence Agency contractor Edward Snowden, a self-proclaimed whistleblower, as well as Wikileaks founder Julian Assange have been pursued by the U.S. government for years over accusations they leaked confidential and sensitive information.

What Happened: Elon Musk on Saturday ran a poll on whether Assange and Snowden should be pardoned. He said the survey was not an expression of an opinion, but was meant to honor a promise he had made earlier.

With five hours left, the poll has received almost three million votes. About 80% have voted in favor of pardon for both Snowden and Assange."

https://www.benzinga.com/government/22/12/29951927/elon-musk-asks-if-snowden-assange-should-be-pardoned-80-of-twitter-followers-say

Interesting.