The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Well, since posting facts for Ben is, obviously, pointless-- like singing to a mule-- I thought I would post a terrific old song for Ben, instead.

Ben's favorite word is, "Donk," and the song is The Donkey Serenade, from 1936, based on a melody by the 19th century composer Rudolf Firmi.

I used to listen to this recording on one of my mother's old 78 rpm records when I was a boy.  Now we have YouTube.

It premiered in the 1937 film, The Firefly, featuring the lovely Jeanette MacDonald, and was sung quite brilliantly by the little known Welsh American tenor, Alan Jones.

I think Woody Allen included this recording in the soundtrack of his movie, Radio Days, but I'd have to check.

Worth a listen.

And don't forget Francis the Talking Mule, or Mr. Ed

Those were the days....

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

The five Republican justices on the Supreme Court who are Catholic embrace this radicalism in their opinions in many instances. This includes Chief Justice Roberts.

The justiciar system in America is on the road to being ruled by religious beliefs rather than by the law.

FBI Memo Warns against 'Radical Traditionalist Catholic Ideology’ | National Review

17 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

His star turn via Mike Myers. Good catch as usual Mr. Caddy.

'Conspiracy of dunces': CNN panel torches 'idiot' Republican narratives about Twitter

by Brad Reed February 09, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/republican-twitter-hearing/

“Scott Galloway, a professor of marketing at the New York University Stern School of Business, was even more blunt in his assessment of the House GOP's [House Oversight Committee] hearing.

"The only conspiracy here is a conspiracy of dunces," he declared. "This communicates to every Chinese official: 'Send more balloons, these people are idiots."”

Steve Thomas

47 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

R.I.P., Mr. Bacharach...

I used to sing this old Bacharach song to my daughters at bedtime, with a ukelele, when they were little girls.

56 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

The five Republican justices on the Supreme Court who are Catholic embrace this radicalism in their opinions in many instances. This includes Chief Justice Roberts.

The justiciar system in America is on the road to being ruled by religious beliefs rather than by the law.

FBI Memo Warns against 'Radical Traditionalist Catholic Ideology’ | National Review

Doug you are for the FBI profiling people because of their religion because the court ruled that ROE v WADE is unconstitutional??? 

I actually have a Burt /JFKA story. My favorite song from Burt is never listed in his top 10 greatest hits. But what was unique about it was it's 4/4 to 5/4 signatures.

I think it was the following night 11/23/63, I was a kid approaching adolescence  taking my transistor radio  to bed, trying to find some contemporary music or rock and roll because all standard music formats on my AM stations were suspended, but some stations had some classical music going on. .

I was tuning around and found a distant signal; and it was a Burt Bacharach song that really hit the spot. "Anyone who had a heart" by Dionne Warwick.

A beautiful song that was actually JFKA inspired was Brian Wilson's "Warmth of the Sun".

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Absolutely true.

Anyone who had a heart

Would have felt sick when they first heard of JFK's brutal killing.

I was a little older than you Kirk on 11,22,1963.

I was really taken with Dionne Warwick songs as a teenager.

Couldn't share that with guy friends though.

Thought they would see me as less than macho.

And I also loved the Beach Boys music.

I grew up spending so much time on California beaches from the youngest age.

I would slowly wade into the cool waters of Lovers Point cove beach in our small coastal town of Pacific Grove. Starting at the age of 5 and six. I didn't know how to swim very well, but I would go under the water and look around ( no goggles) and let the tidal ebb and flow gently sway me back and forth.

Our welfare single mom would send me to this beach every weekday morning of the summer with a quarter to get in the public pool there with just a towel and bathing suit.

My 12 years older oldest brother was a lifeguard there and my other 8 years older brother ( there were 7 of us Bauer Boys ) worked off the pier as a rower of one of their glass bottom boats berthed there.

They would keep an eye out for me from time to time. I wouldn't go home until late in the afternoon. Every summer I would get sunburned and then tan doing this.

I knew the ocean waters so instinctively. Became a young surfer ( inner tube rider actually ) for awhile. Had bleached blond hair. Quit doing that around 11 or 12 or so. Right around the time of the JFK assassination.

But I could really relate to the Beach Boy songs and lyrics.

There truly was something magical and freeing about spending so much time at the beach. Warm sand, aqua green waters. Thought and worry freeing wide open blue sky and fresh ocean air.

To this day I STILL am super calmed by driving around our coastline and seeing, feeling and even smelling the ocean after pulling into a dirt parking spot and opening my window there.

The California Coastline ( especially the beaches ) are truly geographical beauty valium. You can forget your problems there better than seeing a talk therapist imo.

Favorite Beach Boy songs are "Surfer Girl" and "In My Room."

And let me tell you...there truly were "Surfer Girls" back then.

Tan, blond young goddesses. 

Hanging around in bikinis. Talk about paradise for those of us guys who were lucky enough to be on those beaches as much as we could be at that age.

I thought maybe heaven is kind of like being young on a warm, cool water California beach in the Summer.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Andy Biggs skips classified spy balloon briefing so he can go on Fox News and whine about it

by David Edwards February 09, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/andy-biggs-spy-balloon/

“Fox News host Harris Faulkner began her interview with Biggs on Thursday by telling the audience that he had just returned from a classified briefing on the airship.

"I know that some of it is classified; you can't share all of it, but what can you tell us?" Faulkner asked.

"Well, I'm not going to — I didn't go to that classified briefing because I knew I'd be talking to you," Biggs said. "Instead, I had a discussion yesterday."

The congressman did not say who had briefed him, but he offered conclusions about the spy flight”.

“Faulkner thanked Biggs for skipping the classified briefing "so you could share so much with the Faulkner Focus."”

These people are so full of it, I can't hardlly STAND it.

Steve Thomas