• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Alexandros Dimitriadis said:

Who is responsible for Trump's victory?

Not me.  Billary was the lesser of two evils.  She wouldn't have packed the courts quite as hard I speculate.

Edited by Ron Bulman

I agree with Jim's general depiction on an economic level.

But as far as Trump, I don't think the DNC. Hillary got a clear majority of votes. Yes they should get rid of the super delegates though..

Also when it's  said Bill Clinton had a surplus, those were yearly surpluses. We still had a big debt that many people had been decrying for years. But the bailouts of the Great Recession just completely blew that out of water.  And now..... well.   It's completely useless.  Just write ourselves a big check and hold our breathe and pray. If anybody would ever suggest that it would be Trump.  He's been doing that all his life.

The thing to worry about is what are Trump and Mitch Magoo going to do during the two months after Trump is booted out of office. 

This disgraceful pair along with all the supine, invertebrate Republicans in the senate can do an awful lot of damage during the hiatus, following the election in November.

Don't understand why, as in the U.K. when a Prime Minister goes, he or she is immediately replaced by the successor,  it doesn't happen in the U.S.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

In my opinion, the DNC.

Mine too. Inexcusable to lose to an amateur. You can cobble together a lot of circumstances and excuses to explain it away but the bottom line is they got outplayed by a bunch of sleeze bags and neophytes. IMO the Dems keep insisting on Marquis De Queensbury rules and then get kicked in the nads. Over and over and over again.

My view from across the pond is that you have one problem to resolve before all others. You can't have a democracy that ; splits you along geographic lines, and splits you on racial lines but allows a minority to maintain that split. One person one vote. We fail in the UK democratically but I find our failing results in the poor getting a bad deal. That's bad but I somehow prefer our failings (perhaps I'm not poor enough) 

What I find is scary, with the virus and the shutdown bringing the disenfranchised people  out of the woodwork. If resistance becomes deeper to this lock down. And Trump continues fomenting division and being the figure whose encouraging their liberation from his own initial lock down rules. If things became desperate for them, who would these people  identify with? Would it be Trump the liberator? Would there be some crazy irrational idea that if Trump could only control the Government Deep State, then they would provide relief for them? It sounds completely absurd but is it?

I don't know how you run your elections Eddy, but the problem we have here now is the Electoral College.

IMO, it really has to go.  There would have been no disastrous W presidency without the Electoral College.

We then got Trump because of it.

But what has happened to our system is today so bad that I think it may be beyond repair.  We have what some have called a mediocracy, that is a combination of control between large corporations and the media conglomerates.  They really did not want Sanders to win, and Chris Mathews comparing his victory in Nevada to the fall of France before the Nazis was just an extreme example of that.

Let's not forget about the crucial role of the U.S. M$M in sabotaging Hillary in 2016.

Studies of the M$M coverage of Hillary's candidacy in 2016 have documented the bizarre, persistent M$M focus on the Email-gate nothing burger, to the exclusion of coverage of critical policy differences with Trump -- tax policy, Obamacare, sustaining Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, educational funding, environmental protection, climate change mitigation, etc., etc.

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I don't know how you run your elections Eddy, but the problem we have here now is the Electoral College.

IMO, it really has to go.  There would have been no disastrous W presidency without the Electoral College.

We then got Trump because of it.

Jim,

I was thinking the other night. What would you think of the idea that a member of the Electoral College could not be a member of a political party?

That way, they would not be beholden to anybody.

Steve Thomas

21 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

What I find is scary, with the virus and the shutdown bringing the disenfranchised people  out of the woodwork. If resistance becomes deeper to this lock down. And Trump continues fomenting division and being the figure whose encouraging their liberation from his own initial lock down rules. If things became desperate for them, who would these people  identify with? Would it be Trump the liberator? Would there be some crazy irrational idea that if Trump could only control the Government Deep State, then they would provide relief for them? It sounds completely absurd but is it?

Trump's main base is mostly a crazy mix of confused, angry, fearful, frustrated and uninformed people who have for decades had these frustrations and fears inflamed by massive media propaganda machine ( Fox News and right wing 24/7 talk / commentary radio - Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Levine, Glenn Beck, Hannity, Savage,  etc  ) along with being brainwashed into believing that only Trump and the Republicans ( which is now totally controlled by the wealthiest 1% ) can remedy these.

Steve:

I actually think it should just be scrapped.  Whoever gets the most votes wins.

Joe accentuates the point I was trying to make.  See, the MSM has always tried to limit the political spectrum.  They did it through that ridiculous show The McLauglin Group, and then Crossfire.  Their version of the right went all the way over to Pat Buchanan, and at times to Oliver North was was a sub host.  But as Mike Kinsley said once, there is no way I am as far left as Buchanan is far right.  

What then happened is that once this genie was out of the box, it then exploded with Fox and Clear Channel and ABC bringing in Limbaugh. That is when you got the provocateurs like O'Reilly, Beck, Savage. O'Reilly knows Kennedy died by a plot.  He used to report on it that way.  From someone I know in PR, Savage does not buy the crazy things he says.

But the point is, our spectrum is so limited because of this that somehow Sanders can be compared to Hitler invading France and Obama was a radical.  Democrtatic centrist is as far as what is acceptable.

Edited by James DiEugenio