The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

41 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
My Presidential Debate Analysis and Prognosis:
In the first debate, It seemed Trump was doing his impression of a covid crazed mad dog. Later we were to find it wasn't an impression at all. Still it was great theater for his base.

In the second debate Trump had contracted covid and the debate committee reasoned they should do a zoom video debate. Trump, even with only 2 debates remaining and considerably behind in the polls decided to cancel  the second debate  reasoning that his first debate performance was so stellar, that consenting to a debate that wasn't head to head, would just be  giving up too much power.    ???
His base, who marvel at Trumps ability to play three dimensional chess saw Trump as Bobby Fischer refusing to show up and forfeiting his match with Boris Spassky just to psych Spassky out!

The third debate highlighted Trump's reliance on lying, other than that, it might have been a debate. It went way over the head of his base. But was Trump's last minute effort in 4 years, to try to appeal to anyone else.

Result: Trump was down 5-3 and got shelled in a 5 run bottom of the 8th. He registered 4 walks, one balk, one hit batsman and a covid grand slam.

Kirk,

Good summary, and your key phrase was the one about Trump's firehose of falsehoods going "over the heads" of his base.

The people who think Trump and Pence did well in those debates are the ones who don't know that they were lying incessantly.  It's like a Dunning-Kruger Effect by proxy.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Forbes Estimates China Paid Trump At Least $5.4 Million Since He Took Office, Via Mysterious Trump Tower Lease

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2020/10/23/forbes-estimates-china-paid-trump-at-least-54-million-since-he-took-office-via-mysterious-trump-tower-lease/

Some of them wonder why they’re called fascists.

‘Jarring’: PA Trump fans attack polls making so much noise poll workers couldn’t read instructions to voters

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/10/jarring-pa-trump-fans-polls-making-so-much-noise-poll-workers-couldnt-read-instructions-to-voters/

3 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I can't believe after all the "Russia", "Russia", "Russia", hysteria, your side was trying to tell the country to the Chinese.

The hypocrisy is staggering.

Ivanka’s Trademark Requests Were Fast-Tracked In China After Trump Was Elected

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/22/ivankas-trademark-requests-were-fast-tracked-in-china-after-trump-was-elected/#69ba9d561d60

You're three days late.

Secondly, he wants to add more of his a__ kissing cronies so there is a continuous "pucker up" line.

Thirdly, for those interested in a general description:

“This executive order strips due process rights and protections from perhaps hundreds of thousands of federal employees and will enable political appointees and other officials to hire and fire these workers at will,” Kelley said. “Through this order, President Trump has declared war on the professional civil service by giving himself the authority to fill the government with his political cronies who will pledge their unwavering loyalty to him—not to America.”

Kettl said that the order could be far reaching in scope. Not only would high profile employees who publicly disagree with a president be targeted for removal, but lower level employees tasked with collecting the data and evidence underlying much of what the federal government does could be affected.

“If you think about examples of how this could play out, Dr. [Anthony] Fauci could be fired, as well as individuals at the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] who are producing analysis about the spread of the coronavirus, social distancing and the importance of masks,” Kettl said. “You could have people within the State Department raising questions about the administration’s expansion of efforts to engage in crackdowns and change other policies who could be fired. The people counting the number of immigrant children who cannot be reunited with their parents could be fired. There’s no end to it because the biggest risk is that anyone who says anything that would be in opposition to the administration’s policy could be viewed as in a policy-making position, put in Schedule F and fired.”

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

"Hey, but at least we got the "Super Duper" toothbrush missile right?"

Steve Thomas

Trump gives us the "Super Duper" toothbrush missile; and despite his Chief of Staff coming down with Covid-19, Mike Pence says he going to keep holding campaign rallies because he is an "essential worker".

I am at a loss for words.

Steve Thomas

I saw 2 Sasha Baron Cohen flicks in the last couple of days, and I liked them both., I got a trial on amazon prime and I saw the Borat movie, It is like all his movies, cringing, sometimes embarrassing but revealing and funny. Sometimes I think the sham he's trying to perpetrate is way over the top, but his subjects always fall for it, I assume because they've never experienced a true life character like Borat.
And they did trap Giuliani, and it's pretty obvious what Rudy's Giuliani's intentions were. He was literally saved from an outright  scandal solely because Cohen chose to invade the scene,in just the nick of time,  in the role of a father protecting his daughter.

Then on Netflix,Sasha Baron Cohen also played Abbie Hoffman in "The Trial of the Chicago 7" , written by Aaron Sorkin. I wasn't aware at the time of the riff between Nixon AG, John Mitchell and outgoing LBJ, AG Ramsey Clark played by Micheal Keaton, who testifies in court that in the last 6 months of his reign as AG they made the determination that they weren't going to prosecute the Chicago 7 because they determined that the Chicago police had provoked the riots. Jeremy Strong plays Jerry Rubin and Frank Langella plays judge Julius Hoffman.

Joe Biden has to do almost nothing but keep his keep his eye on the ball. The Dodgers seemed to have a problem with that last night.

Two out in the 9th, the Rays behind by a run, with runners on first and second  on a play with 2 defensive errors, and one base running error! But in fairness the Dodger catcher, Zunino probably did gauge correctly that he'd have to swipe and acted in haste, but he didn't know the runner tripped! (Though not visible as he had gotten up!)
Only in baseball!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

I dunno - I saw the Borat sequel, and I think Rudy was in on the joke, though he may have regretted it later.  He went at it like an actor, and was suspiciously unruffled when Borat first barged into the interview, masquerading as the most risible and unbelievable sound technician ever.  Rudy's dumb, but not so dumb as to not recognize Cohen as Borat, or think an interview for Kazakh TV isn't a set-up.  His calling the cops after may have been a publicity stunt for the picture.

Apart from that, a disgustingly funny film.

Edited by David Andrews

Dave said: Rudy's dumb, but not so dumb as to not recognize Cohen as Borat,

As I said, I know what you're saying Dave. How could all these Republicans  he's punked over the years as Ali G. not known he was Ali G.? But Newt Gingrich, Pat Buchanan, Brent Scowcroft,James Baker all didn't.

Rudy was dumb enough to follow her in the bedroom , sit on the bed and then lay down. His excuse would have been much more convincing had he said he recognized Sasha Baron Cohen as the camera man and played along, instead he acted completely innocent and said he phoned the police! Cohen says this.

In an interview with Good Morning America broadcast Friday, however, Cohen, appearing out of character, disputed Giuliani’s explanation. “I would say that if the president’s lawyer found what he did there appropriate behavior, then heaven knows what he’s done with other female journalists in hotel rooms,” Cohen said. “I just urge everyone to watch the movie. It is what it is. He did what he did. And make your own mind up. It was pretty clear to us.”

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
I saw 2 Sasha Baron Cohen flicks in the last couple of days, and I liked them both., I got a trial on amazon prime and I saw the Borat movie, It is like all his movies, cringing, sometimes embarrassing but revealing and funny. 

My wife and I viewed the new Borat movie last night as well.
We both used the word Kirk used..."cringing" in our post viewing sharing.

I loved the first Borat film, and laughed hearitly during this one, however this new film was just too gross in certain scenes.

The Debutant Ball dance scene in particular could have been edited out with no loss to Borat's message.

This film was definitely an anti-Trump piece. In between the crazy antics are some profound statements about Trump exposing his dangerous character and agenda.

Always disturbing to see real non-actor Americans blindly worked up by Trump, and the far right agenda in general ( 50 years of hate promoting right wing radio propaganda commentary brainwashing ) which has emboldened these crazy violent whacko groups and given them their hate talking points and lines.

I also wonder about the Giuliani scenes. There is a little too affectionate demeanor with Giuliani and his almost lusty big eyed, foot wide toothie Grinch grin and "there there my Dear" hand to hand touching imo.

And his reaching out hand pat on the girl's backside as he was sitting on the bed and she was pulling out his mic wires from inside his shirt, just added to the "Hmmm" factor.

Hand holding, back side hand pats, telling this young girl journalist she is pretty ...  I don't know.

Maureen Doud tweeted the worst possible opinion of Giuliani's encounter here.

I could give Giuliani the benefit of doubt in his deep hand thrust into his private part area action.

His shirt had been clearly pulled up from its tucked in position there.

And I think I would not be able to tuck in my own front lower shirt if I was in a waist bent sitting position as he was. Hence the sitting back to do this.

The depth and amount of time of hand thrust into his under pants groin area could be debated I guess, but I just don't think RG was doing anything more than shirt tucking.

Still, going into the bedroom with drinks in hand should have been a no brainer "no no" imo for someone in that interview situation.

RG was definitely smitten with this very young looking, short dress, leg crossed naive and praise gushing foreign accented journalist. He accepted a drink from her within a few minutes into the interview. I don't think this drink was apple juice. Again, Guiliani  reaching out and grasping her hands to calm her was fatherly quaint I guess, but also just off enough to wonder imo.

Did you catch what Pence was saying to the pac fund people? In what, early February? Of how Trump had the pandemic situation totally under control? We are ready for it.   With only 15 ( 17?) cases at that time?

The perversely false and down playing and damage causing comments of Pence and film clips of Trump throughout the film were as cringing ( or more so ) as any sexual antics of Borat and his daughter in the rest of the script imo.

Edited by Joe Bauer