The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

4 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Elizabeth Warren fearing Bloomberg spent 8 to 10X more to defeat her than Donald Trump.

With Bernie Sanders capturing early state victories and Elizabeth Warren ranking second in a new nationwide poll, Bloomberg will be likely looking to stop the progressive candidates’ momentum in tomorrow’s debate.

dated Oct. 26, 2020, 3:23 PM PDT

The latest political news and analysis from the campaign trail.

Ben Kamisar and Liz Brown-Kaiser

190d ago / 3:09 PM PDT

Mike Bloomberg spent over $1 billion on presidential campaign, new FEC reports show

WASHINGTON — New FEC reports released Monday reveal that former 2020 candidate Mike Bloomberg spent over $1 billion on his brief presidential bid. 

The reports show that he spent a total of $1,051,783,859.43 through March of this year. Bloomberg, one of the richest men in the world, didn't accept individual contributions during his bid and instead self-funded his campaign. According to Advertising Analytics, Bloomberg spent $453 million on television ads and at least $82 million on digital ads. He also invested heavily in polling and building up a large campaign of over 500 staffers across the country.

Image: Mike BloombergMike Bloomberg speaks during a campaign rally at the Palm Beach County Convention Center in West Palm Beach, Fla., on March 3, 2020.Matias J. Ocner / AP file

Late last month, Bloomberg announced he’d pour $18 million into the Democratic National Committee, transferring the funds from his campaign to boost the party apparatus instead of creating his own super PAC.

The former New York City mayor's campaign now faces a potential class action lawsuit for allegedly promising jobs through November to over one thousand campaign staffers and then laying them off after the campaign was suspended. The staffers stopped receiving paychecks in the first week of April, and will stop receiving health care benefits at the end of the month.

Bloomberg announced his candidacy in November and dropped out of the race on March 4 after a poor performance on Super Tuesday. The billionaire entrepreneur’s only electoral victory was in American Samoa. 

Bloomberg Vowed To Spend Whatever It Takes To Beat Trump. Democrats Are Still Waiting!

July 29, 20205:00 AM ET
LISTEN·4:154-Minute Listen
gettyimages-1205125641_wide-6a3ead6cdcd0

Mike Bloomberg, seen here speaking to supporters and staff in March in New York City, spent $1 billion of his own fortune to run for president but exited the race early on.

Johannes Eisele/AFP via Getty Images

Updated at 10:58 a.m. ET

When a billionaire with a history of investing generously and strategically in campaigns promised to spend whatever it takes to defeat President Trump, it made Democrats sit up and take notice.

And how did they interpret that pledge from former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg?

"It meant spending about a billion dollars," said Jim Messina, who ran President Barack Obama's 2012 reelection campaign. "It meant making sure that Donald Trump did not have the typical incumbent advantage on finance, and it meant helping us catch up in a couple places where Trump was well ahead of us, which was digital and data."

It is the most ambitious campaign promise ever made by someone who isn't still running, and Bloomberg fully intends to fulfill it, according to former Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, the national political chair of Bloomberg's short-lived primary campaign, in which the candidate spent $1 billion of his own fortune. But Nutter also says that "whatever it takes" can't be defined simply by a specific dollar amount; instead it's about how and where Bloomberg spends his money this year.

North Carolina is one of those, and it has pretty much every political prize on the line in November with competitive contests for president, U.S. Senate, U.S. House seats, governor and control of the state Legislature, with redistricting looming next year.

"What the Bloomberg campaign did right was they put money into field organizing," said state Rep. Graig Meyer, who is in charge of fundraising and recruiting for Democratic Statehouse candidates. "And so that getting campaign operations up and running, building a volunteer base, setting up the structure for direct voter contact — all of that is happening because they made that investment through the DNC."

But to give Democrats in North Carolina a real advantage, Bloomberg could do a lot more, according to Meyer.

"In no way has the Bloomberg operation put direct money into down-ticket races besides through the overall coordinated effort [with the DNC]," he said, adding, "$30 or $50 million is probably the right amount that would be a completely transformative game changer. I imagine Bloomberg could afford to do $30 to $50 million in North Carolina if he wanted to."

The Democratic leader in the North Carolina House of Representatives was even tougher on Bloomberg.

"I am the person he looked in the eye and said what he was going to do," said state Rep. Darren Jackson. "I am the person that endorsed him. And I have been the person that reached out to his campaign leadership."

Jackson said he doesn't know what Bloomberg's intentions are in North Carolina, but he adds, "I certainly hoped for help with the House caucus. We have such a once-in-a-decade opportunity. We need his help to take advantage of that. In whatever form he chooses."

In Georgia, Howard Franklin has similar expectations. He was a senior adviser in the state to Bloomberg's presidential campaign, and he is optimistic that Bloomberg will fulfill his pledge.

"I think he did set the bar high," Franklin said.

To make Georgia truly competitive, Franklin says, Bloomberg should make an eight-figure investment.

Georgia is another state with a lot at stake, as a longtime GOP stronghold that appears close at the presidential level, along with two U.S. Senate races due to a special election and competitive U.S. House races in the Atlanta suburbs. It's also felt the brunt of the two major crises of the year, the pandemic and unrest over racial justice.

There's a lot to invest in for Democrats to make the most of their opportunities in the state, according to Franklin: "I think eight figures gets you on the television in the media markets you care about. I think it puts boots on the ground. I think it gets you telephones and social media. And you know, again, with everything the country is going through and the attention that the city of Atlanta, in particular, has gotten, I just think that there isn't a better place to make the case for a more socially just and equitable approach to policing."

Bloomberg is getting pitches like that all day, every day.

Although there's no evidence yet that he is spending all that he promised, that doesn't mean Bloomberg can't or won't in the remaining days of the campaign, now fewer than 100... ( now down to 7.)

The remaining investments are "still being determined and decided and figured out" according to Nutter: "I mean, this is politics. You don't just kind of throw the money out the window and hope it lands in the right places. Mike makes strategic investments to change outcomes using data and evidence."

In the next month or so, Bloomberg's team says it will be clear how much and where he has decided to invest, and then Democrats can decide for themselves whether they think he's spending whatever it takes.

Goldman Sachs Says Buy Health-Care Options on Elizabeth Warren's Surge

By 
 and 
September 24, 2019, 10:13 AM PDT
Feb 24, 2020 — Audio Bloomberg defends banks calls Elizabeth Warren scary ... from what is thought to be a private Goldman Sachs event, Bloomberg first can ... President Barack Obama but, according to CNN, Bloomberg told the audience ...

"With Bernie Sanders capturing early state victories and Elizabeth Warren ranking second in a new nationwide poll, Bloomberg will be likely looking to stop the progressive candidates’ momentum in tomorrow’s debate."

Joe, it looks like your billionaire buddy, Bloomberg has granted your wish. He's doing last minute funding of Biden in Texas and Ohio??????

Bloomberg's no dummy and I see this as evidence Bloomberg thinks Biden can just run the table, and maybe get 400 electoral votes and get a broad mandate.

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-bloomberg/bloomberg-is-funding-late-biden-push-in-texas-ohio-new-york-times-idUSKBN27C1OX

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Trump's arrogant and insulting tough question avoiding interview walks go way back. The smirky smug arrogance in this 1990 one is cringing.hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCOADEI4CSFXyq4

19 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Trump's arrogant and insulting tough question avoiding interview walks go way back. The smirky smug arrogance in this 1990 one is cringing.hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCOADEI4CSFXyq4

Once an a**hole, always an a**hole.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Joe, it looks like your billionaire buddy, Bloomberg has granted your wish. He's doing last minute funding of Biden in Texas and Ohio??????

Bloomberg's no dummy and I see this as evidence Bloomberg thinks Biden can just run the table, and maybe get 400 electoral votes and get a broad mandate.

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-bloomberg/bloomberg-is-funding-late-biden-push-in-texas-ohio-new-york-times-idUSKBN27C1OX

"15 million?"

Peanuts compared to his billion dollar run against Warren. Worse than peanuts.

Did you not read the comments by Democratic strategists in Georgia, North Carolina etc.,who are saying Bloomberg isn't committing near the Democratic party financial resource help he claimed he would months ago?

Party switching Bloomberg spent 1 BILLION dollars on his brief 3+ month 2019 Democratic party primary campaign and made it clear to Goldman Sachs that his goal in entering that race was to counter the threat of Warren and Sanders. An unheard of amount, even mind boggling. Especially for such a brief period of campaigning.

Bloomberg pulled out once Biden was assured of the candidacy ( and only then with a divided plurality ) and Warren and Sanders were marginalized.

So, now Bloomberg may have committed over 100 million dollars to defeat Trump?

With some of this coming in at such a late date just days to go before the election?

If you can't see the disingenuous Warren versus Trump commitment hypocrisy in those massive financial campaign amounts ( 1 billion versus 100 million + ) then what can one say?

My main point is I believe it is obvious that Bloomberg has had a huge influence in controlling who the Democrats chose for their final candidacy in this election. He is a king maker who was willing to spend whatever it took ( unprecedented ) to make sure the Democrats didn't choose a candidate that was a threat to his and others banking power interests.

What we got this election was a Bloomberg approved candidate. Perfect example what money can still buy in our political power process.

And I also believe Bloomberg was making deals with black political leaders even before and leading up to the Super Tuesday election to promote Biden over Warren and Sanders with their voters with promises of financial infusion later on.

The political figures quoted in the articles above said as much and are from large black voter states and I assume leaders of these voter blocks.

Bloomberg's influence in effecting the 2019 Democratic primary election is obvious and ominous imo. You really see how super wealthy person's with specfic personal interests in mind can and do have much more power in this regards than even millions of average Americans.

Edited by Joe Bauer

This misses the point.

Biden is doing this on purpose-- to differentiate himself from Trump.

His research has revealed that Trump is actually losing votes when he does those big rallies because the vast majority there do not wear masks and are not six feet from each other. Therefore many people watching on TV  think that Trump is spreading CV 19. For good reason: the Rose Garden ACB incident.  Second, the fact that a third wave is starting.

Its pretty clear to me by now that Trump has dumped Fauci and is going with Atlas and his herd immunity idea.  Biden is trying to show he will not listen to a radiologist as opposed to an epidemiologist.

Edited by James DiEugenio

11 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

He is doing it because he can't attract more than 100 people.

July 20, Live Stream. Only 268 views.

Every zoom or live stream he has done has been pathetic. There are more recent examples and I will be happy to post when I have time. (Twitter is purging accounts so these disappear fast.)

737496227_Screenshot2020-10-27192032.jpg.e6c40401e10d60c36398850cb303b9e0.jpg

Either no one cares about Biden or Biden supporters so deranged that they think they can get the Rona virus over the Internet.

I think its the former, but I would not be surprised if its the latter.

Biden concedes election night and we never know completely what was on Hunter's lap top. 

That's how it's going to work.

Read ‘em and weep, Wheeler.

2020 General Election Early Vote Statistics
https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Party registration statistics are provided only for states that have party registration

Total Voted by Party Registration

Reporting states with party registration data: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, OK, OR, PA, SD

Party Count Percent
Democrats 16,153,706 48.0
Republicans 9,784,075 29.1
Minor 200,223 0.6
No Party Affiliation 7,485,410 22.3
TOTAL 33,623,414 100.0

You cannot be serious.

What I just said is factually true.  This is what Biden's camp believes.  If you have not seen that story then you do not surf the web widely.

But second, the idea that Biden could not attract big crowds is nutty.  Have you seen those lines for early voting with people of color with masks on?  Who do you think they are lining up to vote for?  Its not Trump.  

Here is the pay off quote, from an article on Politico:

According to the poll, 56 percent of voters in Wisconsin have a less favorable impression of Trump as a result of those rallies, compared to 26 percent who have a more favorable view of him. The results are similar in Arizona (55-26 percent), Florida (58-22 percent), North Carolina (55-25 percent), Pennsylvania (58-22 percent) and Michigan (56-25 percent).

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

You cannot be serious.

What I just said is factually true.  This is what Biden's camp believes.  If you have not seen that story then you do not surf the web widely.

But second, the idea that Biden could not attract big crowds is nutty.  Have you seen those lines for early voting with people of color with masks on?  Who do you think they are lining up to vote for?  Its not Trump.  

Here is the pay off quote, from an article on Politico:

According to the poll, 56 percent of voters in Wisconsin have a less favorable impression of Trump as a result of those rallies, compared to 26 percent who have a more favorable view of him. The results are similar in Arizona (55-26 percent), Florida (58-22 percent), North Carolina (55-25 percent), Pennsylvania (58-22 percent) and Michigan (56-25 percent).

And Wisconsin-- including their popular college football team-- is now a COVID disaster area, even as Trump, incredibly, continues to hold rallies there without masks or social distancing.

Talk about a cult drinking the Kool Aid...

It was a shocker to see this Trump death cult stuff happening in Tulsa last summer.  Now it's simply beyond belief.

9 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

That's why they rushed Warren and Buttigieg and the other clowns out the door as soon as Covid hit.

Buttigieg, Klobuchar and O’Rourke dropped out right before Super Tuesday because they were out of money and had shown no appeal with African-Americans, the crucial Democratic Party voting bloc.

Warren dropped out right after Super Tuesday because she placed 3rd in her home state and ran out of money.

The influence of the DNC on Dem primaries is always vastly over-estimated.

DId they fake that poll?

More,  now remember this drive in approach is done on purpose.  But it fills the space with cars instead of people.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/27/biden-democrats-senate-433032

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Read ‘em and weep, Wheeler.

2020 General Election Early Vote Statistics
https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Party registration statistics are provided only for states that have party registration

Total Voted by Party Registration

Reporting states with party registration data: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NV, OK, OR, PA, SD

Party Count Percent
Democrats 16,153,706 48.0
Republicans 9,784,075 29.1
Minor 200,223 0.6
No Party Affiliation 7,485,410 22.3
TOTAL 33,623,414 100.0

If you split the no party affiliation evenly, which I think skews heavily democrat that's near 20 million for them. About 13 for the r's.  That would be a mandate if the trend actually continues through election day. 

I can't believe over 7 million Texans have already voted.  1.6 million new voters since 2016.  I have little faith but is the impossible possible?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/how-texas-went-from-low-voter-turnout-to-nations-top-early-voting-state/ar-BB1aoHIC?ocid=uxbndlbing