• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

10 hours ago, Chris Barnard said:

Oh sorry, Kirk, I apologise if i’ve misunderstood. Is there a source link? I just wasn’t clear who the black bold text belongs to. 

You're certainly not a connoisseur of writing styles Chris. You assumed I was editorializing for the Government of Panama??

If you look further below, the edict is from MINSA which throughout Latin America is the Ministry of Public Health. The commentary was discharged through the most prevalent TV station in Panama. I'm not sure if it's there's or Minsa's.

I'm not sure from your previous comments, Chris, if you're at all concerned about the "pan" or perhaps is it "plandemic"?   The U.K. has done as abysmally a sloppy job of battling the pandemic as we have. And now they've detected the most virulent strain, ("variant") apparently first back in September!

France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland and Bulgaria all announced restrictions on U.K. travel,  Yet many are leaving the U.K. in droves and where are they going? To the U.S., possibly bringing this infection!

Chris, you'll be thrilled to know, this is awakening the  Trumpian instincts in me. Might be  better to ban the Brits, at least for now! But I'm no expert, and actually can admit it.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Impeach Him... Again?

By Charlie Sykes 12/21/20

https://morningshots.thebulwark.com/p/impeach-him-again

“But, perhaps, an impeachment should be in the queue ready to go.

At a minimum, someone should be thinking about the ultimate Trumpsday scenario, and start drafting the articles that could be quickly acted upon (maybe with snap votes in both the House and Senate?).

The smart set has been telling us that we don’t have anything to worry about. The guardrails will hold, they assure us. There’s no time, they tell us.

But Trump is in the White House talking about coups. Maybe we need to have to the hammer ready to break glass in case of emergency.”

Steve Thomas

The "Apprentice" was a mindless escape reality show with Trump at its eccentric star basking in its weekly national attention and ego stroking glory spotlight. 

Never enough attention and ego stroking seeking Trump was the perfect fit for that role.

Trying to assess Trump as president in some intellectual way isn't neccessary or logical.  He is simply reprising his "Apprentice" TV show role.

Bombastic, laughably vain and narcissistic, overly sarcastic to even a sadistic and cruel degree. Making shockingly blunt fun of people and demeaning and insulting them often right to their face. Think "Apprentice" contestants or the White House Press corps.

The presidency has been Trump's ultimate personal attention craving dream Reality show. And he has played the ever more shocking words and action star role to the hilt.

No one, not even Oliver Stone could ever make a movie about Trump without it coming across as anything but a perverse even surreal weird humor farce!

Maybe Woody Allen or the Farrelly Brothers could do it justice.

I can't get a specific handle on such a film myself but so many things about Trump as president bring back flashbacks of films like the Peter Seller's "The Pink Panther," and "Dr. Strangelove," or other farces such as "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," etc.

Log line for such a film would be simply " A Nut Becomes President!"

Edited by Joe Bauer

We have 30 days to go, how bad could it get?  We have an unhinged criminal sociopath Russian agent in charge of our national security.  He knows no bounds in his disregard for our laws and constitution and is very aware that everything around him is crumbling down.  He will look for any and all ways to avoid prosecution and responsibility up to and including acting in behalf of foreign nations willing to give him a "pass" and save himself from the punishment he deserves.  Even with his complete narcissistic egomaniacal and self aggrandizing behavior, people seem to think he will do rational things in the future.  Those who do are not recognizing who they are dealing with and are ignoring the past cult leaders and their decisions when between a rock and a hard place.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

You're certainly not a connoisseur of writing styles Chris. You assumed I was editorializing for the Government of Panama??

If you look further below, the edict is from MINSA which throughout Latin America is the Ministry of Public Health. The commentary was discharged through the most prevalent TV station in Panama. I'm not sure if it's there's or Minsa's.

I'm not sure from your previous comments, Chris, if you're at all concerned about the "pan" or perhaps is it "plandemic"?   The U.K. has done as abysmally a sloppy job of battling the pandemic as we have. And now they've detected the most virulent strain, ("variant") apparently first back in September!

France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland and Bulgaria all announced restrictions on U.K. travel,  Yet many are leaving the U.K. in droves and where are they going? To the U.S., possibly bringing this infection!

Chris, you'll be thrilled to know, this is awakening the  Trumpian instincts in me. Might be  better to ban the Brits, at least for now! But I'm no expert, and actually can admit it.

Hi Kirk, 

There might have been a bit of direction missing in your post, but, it's ok, all water under the bridge.  I am not overly concerned about the virus, as I've done a fair bit of reading on the topic and spoken to medical professionals who were dealing with the effects of it every day, people ranging from Indian Dr's to NHS work staff in my UK extended family. I am concerned about the way its been handled from the start, and what it's done to the poor and middle class. I suspected you had a bit of Trump in you, when it suited you. 🙂  

I think as a country you must do what you think is best, based on actual data, but, if this virulent strain has been about since September, isn't that a bit late to react? I don't know how much you travel but, I entered Healthrow on the 5th October 20 and there was not a single covid check for any passenger happening in the airport, yet its one of the busiest international airports on earth. At the same time the UK government is telling the public to stay home and restricting businesses, also at the same time the London Underground is packed every single day. It seems Britain has been neither here nor there, a big contradiction. As a country we didn't go for herd immunity or a proper locking down. That hypocrisy and poor governance was spotted by the people and therefore I can't blame most of the population for the spread. Governments knew in December what was starting to happen and I think the UK's first lock down was on March 25th or around the end of that month. Britain is prosecuting people breaking imposed restrictions, such as people organising public gatherings etc. 

I am fortunate that I can live somewhere outside of the UK that at this point has no Covid restrictions, no masks, I can be outdoors every day, goto the pub and live a life as if Covid doesn't exist. We actually have very strict entry restrictions and isolation periods. But, I am on an island with a population of 300-500 people and its much easier to manage in that respect. There is always the possibility that someone will come ashore from a private boat and cause all sorts of issues though, despite big signs in the harbours telling them they are not welcome. 

In many respects this is a fascinating topic. 

You know I'm from California.

When I do get out, I don't see anyone not wearing a mask.

Even idle walkers, dog walkers and joggers.

Our downtowns are practically deserted. The restaurants are totally shut down. Theaters months ago.

This is a tourist area and the hotels are nearly empty and what few tourists are on the streets are all wearing masks.

I know in the larger urban areas of the state it is harder for residents to distance, but it seems like most of them are now wearing masks.

Yet, the virus is spreading faster than when hardly anyone were wearing masks!

Hugely so! 

Everyone still has to buy groceries. I have heard that spreading is happening in that environment more than any other now.

But still, I sense this massive increase in spreading is due to something more than too many not wearing masks, washing their hands and distancing.

Could we also be under a more virulent and more easily spread virus strain like the UK?

How come Africa hasn't gone ballistic in the virus spread? In the most ill-prepared and greatest medical supply shortage area of the world, you would think Covid would be raging!

Edited by Joe Bauer

13 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

You know I'm from California.

When I do get out, I don't see anyone not wearing a mask.

Even idle walkers, dog walkers and joggers.

Our downtowns are practically deserted. The restaurants are totally shut down. Theaters months ago.

This is a tourist area and the hotels are nearly empty and what few tourists are on the streets are all wearing masks.

I know in the larger urban areas of the state it is harder for residents to distance, but it seems like most of them are now wearing masks.

Yet, the virus is spreading faster than when hardly anyone were wearing masks!

Hugely so! 

Everyone still has to buy groceries. I have heard that spreading is happening in that environment more than any other now.

But still, I sense this massive increase in spreading is due to something more than too many not wearing masks, washing their hands and distancing.

Could we also be under a more virulent and more easily spread virus strain like the UK?

How come Africa hasn't gone ballistic in the virus spread? In the most ill-prepared and greatest medical supply shortage area of the world, you would think Covid would be raging!

Hey Joe, there are many variables why the winter months are always going to be worse, some of the reasons are akin to flu & common colds are worse in the winter months, there was always going to be a spike. From what I can see, Californians are right up there with those who have taken things most sensibly. You also have a high population compared to some other states. And looking at the most densely populated US cities, New York seems to lead that but, California has lots of densely populated areas too, which will no doubt contribute to the issue. We also have to get your head around how many people have had it and been unaware, as it's around 90% asymptomatic and how many people are carrying it now, untested. Another good question might be, is if this reported more virulent strain is bouncing about, does the vaccine work on it? Or will we need another vaccine? I agree with you, there are lots of anomalies, including Africa and why was it such a slower burner in India where I was based, it eventually caught up, though medical staff informed me it was only the elderly or those with serious underlying health conditions in their hospital beds. 
Considering the deluge of press covering Covid 19, it's difficult for the public to actually get a grasp on what is happening and a balanced perspective. Do I think people should be eating healthy, getting vitamin D, exercising and doing everything humanly possible to keep their immune system at its peak, yes. Do I think most people are that cooped up at home doing no exercise, drinking alcohol and enjoying sugar filled diet, yes. 
Do I think the stress of facing unemployment or losing businesses that have taken sometimes decades to build is killing people, yes. Do I think increased debt is causing the same stress, yes. Do I think people with potentially serious health conditions are avoiding getting check ups and visiting hospitals and Dr's surgeries because they are afraid of catching Covid, yes. Do I think that this leading to lots of deaths related to depression and poor mental health, yes. 
At least when I last looked, the % of the population in which Covid is fatal was around 0.07-0.03%. I understand the argument that if we are overwhelmed at medical facilities, then more deaths will occur but, we also have to put those percentages against other causes of death around the world and weigh up the risk. My father is 74, he's had cancer, a stroke, a cardiac arrest, is constantly is experiencing blood poisoning too, he is basically immobile. If he gets Covid or any bad flu, it will likely be the last time I see him. But, I can still look at this thing objectively, I can still see that this corn fructose syrup we are dosing all of our food up with his fuelling heart disease, cancer, strokes, diabetes and other conditions which lead to a significantly reduced life expectancy and yet governments and media outlets are mostly silent on it. Is corn fructose syrup killing more people than Covid, absolutely. Where is the outrage in the media & at government level over am addictive substance being put in our food and cutting peoples lives short? 
Another thing which needs to be calculated is how many people die every day in a country, vs how many people are dying now Covid is present. We need to assess that information to make an informed decision. For example, 1400 people die in the UK every day, that's been the average for some time (office of national statistics). A large proportion of those people are very frail individuals, either because of old age or because of serious underlying health conditions (like my father). Some of these deaths are drug related, homicides, road accidents and everything else. We need to have some perspective on how many of those deaths are old age/very frail individuals, as just about anything could kill them including a cold that develops into worse conditions. The concept that Covid is ripping through healthy communities and taking people in their prime is false. Some young people are dying, but, plenty of people don't even know they are walking about with undiagnosed serious health issues, which leaves them very vulnerable to any attacks on their immune system. 

It's my opinion that a balanced perspective is needed, it will effect me / family either way but, what is the lesser of two evils and what is the pragmatic course forward? 

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Re: Oregon - we needed uprising some time ago over the failure to provide Covid relief since September.  The public reticence would seem to be because people unemployed by Covid would tend to be people who follow social norms and who want their livelihoods back, and thus are less likely to complain or demonstrate.  #BLM and electoral result protest, on the other hand, cross the categories of economic circumstance.

I wonder how many people at Trump rallies and election protests were among the unemployed?  Get much for your effort?

Edited by David Andrews

I'm sorry, but the only conclusion to the long debate over stimulus aid and the White House refusal to provide emergency aid to the states after September can be that Congress and the Executive want to force people off unemployment assistance and create chaos in America:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/millions-could-face-unemployment-aid-delays-even-after-covid-19-relief-package/ar-BB1c5S9j?li=BBnbfcL