• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

I remember some anecdotal stories, about this period when I was a teenager in the 60's. There was a survey among prominent historians rating the Presidents. The one truly dark house with a near great rating was James K. Polk, who curiously was also a Dark Horse at the Democrat convention who won after several ballots, usurping a former President, Martin Van Buren! He was praised for accomplishing all the goals he set out to do, which I looked up again outside of the expansionist goals I remembered. they were to cut tariffs, reestablish an independent U.S. Treasury, secure the Oregon Territory and acquire the territories of California and New Mexico from Mexico, and the annexation of Texas.  He accomplished them all and saw no reason to run for a second term!  I remember it seems to me that according to the historians expansionism was clearly a good thing  as also they gave  Andrew Jackson the near great category for his expansionism and slaughter of the Native Americans. Polk was called by some "Young Hickory" because many of his policies were similar to Jackson.

Re; Pre Civil War slavery politics: I remember a high school teacher of mine talking about a meeting between President Jackson and Southern governors, where the Southern governors were getting increasing irate and there were murmurs of secession way back before the  Civil War and Jackson sort of took the wind out of the sails of the event by proposing a toast. "Our nation, it must be preserved".

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

2 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

None of the Presidents come close to the pedigree of Bill deBlasio aka Warren Wilhelm Jr.

Oh my God!  I never knew de Blasio's cognomen.  He's the Warren "Bill" Wilhelm that lived in my dorm at NYU, and was in my 1983 graduating class.

No jokes, please.  I knew him as a great guy.

We were two of four co-recipients of scholarships for financially strapped students with good grades, given at the end of our freshman year.  That doesn't speak of elite connections.

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

There was also a strange rumor that Barack Obama was the illegitimate son of Malcolm X.

I also seem to recall some kind of controversy about where Obama was born. I remember Donald Trump saying that he had investigators working on the case in Hawaii and they were finding out "some amazing things." Trump never has told us what those amazing things were. Could he have been lying?

And one needs to consider eye-witness reports, like from his grandmother:

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/Blogs/Message.aspx/3074

Obama's birth was published in a Hawaii paper some 11 days after birth.

Newborn babies could fly with parents without passports in those days.

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I remember some anecdotal stories, about this period when I was a teenager in the 60's. There was a survey among prominent historians rating the Presidents. The one truly dark house with a near great rating was James K. Polk, who curiously was also a Dark Horse at the Democrat convention who won after several ballots, usurping a former President, Martin Van Buren! He was praised for accomplishing all the goals he set out to do, which I looked up again outside of the expansionist goals I remembered. they were to cut tariffs, reestablish an independent U.S. Treasury, secure the Oregon Territory and acquire the territories of California and New Mexico from Mexico, and the annexation of Texas.  He accomplished them all and saw no reason to run for a second term!  I remember it seems to me that according to the historians expansionism was clearly a good thing  as also they gave  Andrew Jackson the near great category for his expansionism and slaughter of the Native Americans. Polk was called by some "Young Hickory" because many of his policies were similar to Jackson.

Re; Pre Civil War slavery politics: I remember a high school teacher of mine talking about a meeting between President Jackson and Southern governors, where the Southern governors were getting increasing irate and there were murmurs of secession way back before the  Civil War and Jackson sort of took the wind out of the sails of the event by proposing a toast. "Our nation, it must be preserved".

Correct, Kirk.  Polk was an erstwhile protege of Andrew Jackson who had distinguished himself as a hard working Speaker of the House and Governor of Tennessee.

Van Buren's re-nomination for the Presidency was sabotaged by Southern Democrats for his opposition to Texas annexation, and Polk emerged as a slave owning Southerner acceptable to Northern Dems.  He pledged, in advance, to serve only one term.

But what a term it was!

In addition to presiding over the massive territorial acquisition of New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, and southern Colorado, (from Mexico) Polk also oversaw the formal acquisition of Oregon and Washington state.

He also established the precedent of outlining his legislative agenda in the State of the Union Address, and the pledge to serve as President of all citizens, not merely those who voted for him.  (No one told Trump.)

This is really bizarre.  What the heck really happened?

And the mayor was being considered for Biden's VP?

Is Atlanta going to be the new Seattle?

52 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

He stole a cop's taser, ran away, then pointed it at a cop.

In a situation like that, the cop can't shoot the perp in the leg?

Especially when the cop knows the consequences of similar recent actions?

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Bill went the other way, politically, from his lineage.  Was that an act?  Article contains photo of Bill Wilhelm as I knew him:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/deblasio-nicaragua-warren-wilhelm/

Yes, and who would better know a lifetime actor?  More examples of Wheeler bloviating out of his a-s. Di Blasio's parents broke up when he was young and he was brought up by his Mothers extended Italian family and changed his name as a teenager. Di Blasio's father had a leg amputated from a grenade hitting  his foot in WW2 .Later his father was dying of lung cancer and killed himself.

Another fact, before William  was born, his parents  during WW2, were very down on Fascist Mussolini's effect on his Mother's homeland. Perhaps a little too anti fascist. Later they were similarly held under the innuendo of being suspected communists  by Joseph Mac Carthy in the Red Scare..

His Mother later wrote a book in 1988: "The Italian resistance in WW2"

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

I think e should wait for all the facts to be in.  There must be a cellphone.

As is usual, the best coverage of our police violence comes from England:

“You can’t have it both ways in law enforcement,” Stewart said. “You can’t say a Taser is a non-lethal weapon ... but when an African American grabs it and runs with it, now its some kind of deadly, lethal weapon that calls for you to unload on somebody.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/14/rayshard-brooks-shooting-protesters-set-fire-to-restaurant-where-black-man-shot-dead

3 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Remember, citing Snopes means you are 14 or just lazy.

deblasio went in the exact same direction politically as his Father, Uncle and Grandfather. Politically he is a One Worlder.

He is not Right or Left. DeBlasio is just a straight up CFR, New World Order, Rockefeller style, Big Oil, population controlling, ruling elitist successor.

Not the guy I knew.  I just used the Snopes article because it had a pic of him in his 1982-1983 beard phase, and reminded me that he was supporting Nicaragua at that time, something I wasn't politically mature enough to do until the horrors were well over, other than buying Sandinista! by The Clash the week it came out.

Can you cite me contrasting references to him being a "CFR, New World Order, Rockefeller style, Big Oil, population controlling, ruling elitist"?  Not the guy I remember as a serious student, compassionate, a mensch.  Who told me he wanted to go into small-city politics.

I mean, contrasting references that aren't from that Gibson Island website.

To paraphrase an old adage: "If he's so corrupt, why ain't he president?"

Oh, boy!  At an advanced age, I've entered partisan politics.

Edited by David Andrews