The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Today people called by media traitors and terrorists invaded our capital, sat in the speaker's chair.  A woman breaking and entering our house was shot and died.

Yet I admire the House and Senate for sticking around to deliver the final blow to the prez.  Is democracy somehow still working?  Perverted as it is.

I can't get over the mob breaking windows, forcing themselves inside, and then observing and honoring  the rope line through the rotunda. 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Trump's frantic and desperate Wag-The-Dog damage control nonsense:

It was Antifa provocateurs.

It was just a fringe minority. News coverage shows thousands converged on the Capital bldg.

The Dems wanted this to happen

Trump never specifically told anyone to breach the building.

Trump's first term most accomplished in American history.

Liberal press over-hyping this minor and relatively meaningless event.

Trump appointees jumping ship are disloyal self-serving cowards.

Mary Trump was in the Capital steps crowd egging on the actual breaking and entering thugs.

And on and on.

Edited by Joe Bauer

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

As I understand it, the Capitol Bldg., etc. are Federal property. As such, the Mayor of DC had to ask the Pentagon to deploy the National Guard. She asked, and was told her request was being referred "up the chain of command." The top of the "chain of command" is the President. He was asked and said no.

Steve, that was my thought and reasoning as well, I just had no way of knowing if it reached his desk.  I figured it did.  I think it is soon time to bring charges of sedition, inciting a riot, etc. against a range of people starting with the President as soon as he can be removed from his post.  As we all know, these were not frivolous acts committed by this mob, nor the speakers at the "rally".  It needs to be brought up over and over again in the media that these people are pledging themselves to an individual above the government or any entity or ideas.  Trump has no ideology but self worship and aggrandizement at any cost to anyone or anything.  Just as he pushes his LIES over and over to imprint them on anyone listening, the media of all ilks need to bring up and question continually the "individual loyalty" aspect in his followers.  I have seen some, when confronted with this question (and follow up) who actually exhibited a moment of thought and become speechless.  Unfortunately there are many who never take that second to reflect/think and just continue on their mindless pursuit.  Sorry for the long rant, I'm trying to cut down and feel hopeful that I can pretty much go "cold turkey" by the 21st.

Trump administration officially says huge hack was likely Russian espionage

The statement from the CIA, FBI, NSA, DHS and ODNI comes after Trump cast doubt on a Russian origin for the hack, saying it might have been Chinese.

Statement from CIA,NSA, FBI, DHS and ODNI

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/trump-administration-formally-says-huge-hack-was-likely-russian-espionage-n1252882?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_mj&fbclid=IwAR2bBO4Er3ijBT0Ybqt4VIHMNvptvFonDV_2UPUqGmQKH5lMb-25C35NHnI

The statement from the CIA, FBI, NSA, DHS and ODNI comes after Trump cast doubt on a Russian origin for the hack, saying it might have been Chinese.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

1 hour ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Facebook just closed the barn door after the cows left: They are banning Trump from Facebook and Instagram indefinitely. 

This is not an endorsement of the move. Just reporting.

Twitter's ban is toothless. They are allowing his staff to get around the ban by posting Trump's quotes under their accounts. The ban should include a ban on those who Trump is using to get around their block.

National media finally expressing Trump outrage unilaterally.

Newspapers from coast to coast were quick to condemn Donald Trump after his supporters attacked the Capitol.

New York Times: Trump Is to Blame for Capitol Attack

The president needs to be held accountable — through impeachment proceedings or criminal prosecution — and the same goes for his supporters who carried out the violence. In time, there should be an investigation of the failure of the Capitol Police to prepare for an attack that was announced and planned in public.

This is not just an attack on the results of the 2020 election. It is a precedent — a permission slip for similar opposition to the outcomes of future elections. It must be clearly rejected, and placed beyond the pale of permissible conduct.

The Washington Post: Trump caused the assault on the Capitol. He must be removed

Responsibility for this act of sedition lies squarely with the president, who has shown that his continued tenure in office poses a grave threat to U.S. democracy. He should be removed.

Mr. Trump encouraged the mob to gather on Wednesday, as Congress was set to convene, and to “be wild.” After repeating a panoply of absurd conspiracy theories about the election, he urged the crowd to march on the Capitol. “We’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you,” he said. “You’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong.” 

USA Today: Donald Trump triggers the American carnage he vowed to stop in his inaugural address

What to do about this man who has brought such ignominy upon our country? Censure by Congress? Certainly. Criminal exposure for inciting violence and pressuring Georgia’s secretary of state to flip that state’s election results? Perhaps.

But can any punishment truly fit the crime? Four years of Trump’s divisive leadership have produced impeachable conduct, failed management of a pandemic that has killed 360,000 Americans, and the undermining of democracy with self-serving and contrived claims of voter fraud.

And now — as a capstone — he fomented mob violence that had all the earmarks of an insurrection.

Los Angeles Times: Trump is responsible for the violent storming of U.S. Capitol

This is the predictable outcome of the grotesque charade being played not just by Trump but by Sens. Ted. Cruz (R-Texas), Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) and others who have aligned with Trump’s blatantly false assertions of voting fraud. Attacking democratic institutions attacks democracy itself, and what the nation witnessed Wednesday in Washington is the power of the mob to destabilize even the most stable of democracies.

The responsibility for this day of unconscionable attacks by Americans on the heart of our elective system belongs to Trump. But his enablers have much to answer for as well, and much to regret.

Seattle Times: Restore order after a shameful day in American history 

Until Biden’s inauguration Jan. 20, Trump holds extensive official power. For the good of the nation, Vice President Mike Pence and cabinet officials should consider invoking the 25th amendment to take power out of Trump’s hands. He cannot be trusted.

Miami Herald: Trump is deranged, dangerous and ‘incapacitated.’ Invoke the 25th Amendment and remove him from office 

It is time to invoke the 25th Amendment. It is time for President Trump — as he told the violent, radical thugs who support him no matter what; who crawled over the U.S. Capitol like spiders; who breached House and Senate chambers; who brazenly confronted overwhelmed, ill-prepared law-enforcement officers; who forced lawmakers to take shelter — to “go home.”

Wall Street Journal: The Disgrace On Capitol Hill

Mr. Biden will be­come Pres­i­dent at noon on Jan. 20, and un­til then the po­lice need to restore or­der with as much force as nec­es­sary. Re­pub­li­cans es­pe­cially need to speak against tres­pass and vi­o­lence. As for Mr. Trump, to steal some fa­mous words de­ployed in 1940 against Neville Cham­ber­lain: “In the name of God, go.”    

Another thought about yesterday:  I am seeing many people noting the difference in response by police and other security forces between the BLM, etc. marches and the "Trump" march.  While I agree they were diametrically different, I think we must keep in mind that the response at least in the case of yesterdays mob was promulgated by the failure of one man (Trump) to issue appropriate orders.  There was a standing request for help which was not forthcoming because of the President and the minions he placed in positions under him and their fear of questioning his orders or even bringing up matters they know will infuriate him.  The one area I will agree with completely is the timid method used to disburse the crowd.  I think as much as possible this would be the appropriate method when it can be used.  There is escalation far too quickly in many instances involving marches/gatherings where people of color or other racial ethnicity (than white) are involved.  To make matters worse, in this case a much stronger push-back would have been appropriate.  The only reason I can responsibly think of for it being so timid is that the crowd was already in the building(s) before the appropriate level of response arrived (thanks to Trump) and they were trying to limit/control damage.  Now that they are out of the building, one would hope severe punishment will be given for ALL identifiable individuals, especially those who inflicted damage.

13 Members of the House of Representatives have drawn up Articles of Impeachment against Donald Trump for High Crimes and Misdemeanors.

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1347230206646509573/photo/1

Even if the Senate refuses to convict, I think Trump should be forever written up in the history books as the only President to be impeached twice.

Steve Thomas

34 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

13 Members of the House of Representatives have drawn up Articles of Impeachment against Donald Trump for High Crimes and Misdemeanors.

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1347230206646509573/photo/1

Even if the Senate refuses to convict, I think Trump should be forever written up in the history books as the only President to be impeached twice.

Steve Thomas

We spend $750 billion annually on "defense" and the center of American government fell in two hours to the duck dynasty and the guy in the chewbacca bikini.

GettyImages-1230453292-1.jpg?w=1024&h=72

31 minutes ago, Richard Price said:

Another thought about yesterday:  I am seeing many people noting the difference in response by police and other security forces between the BLM, etc. marches and the "Trump" march.  While I agree they were diametrically different, I think we must keep in mind that the response at least in the case of yesterdays mob was promulgated by the failure of one man (Trump) to issue appropriate orders.  There was a standing request for help which was not forthcoming because of the President and the minions he placed in positions under him and their fear of questioning his orders or even bringing up matters they know will infuriate him.  The one area I will agree with completely is the timid method used to disburse the crowd.  I think as much as possible this would be the appropriate method when it can be used.  There is escalation far too quickly in many instances involving marches/gatherings where people of color or other racial ethnicity (than white) are involved.  To make matters worse, in this case a much stronger push-back would have been appropriate.  The only reason I can responsibly think of for it being so timid is that the crowd was already in the building(s) before the appropriate level of response arrived (thanks to Trump) and they were trying to limit/control damage.  Now that they are out of the building, one would hope severe punishment will be given for ALL identifiable individuals, especially those who inflicted damage.

There needs to be Benghazi-style investigations of law enforcement activities yesterday. These people had been telegraphing their intentions, explicitly, on social media for the past month -- Proud Boys, QAnon, MAGA extremists. It was a planned fascist putsch and many of the law enforcement present were obviously in on it. How could they not have known it was coming?

It's being reported now that Rudy Giuliani left a phone message on what he thought was Tubberville's senate phone at 7 p.m. Wednesday encouraging him and others to keep up the resistance to buy time until state legislators could get them more information.

If there are not severe recriminations they will be back in two weeks.

Mitch McConnell's wife Elaine Chao just jumped off of Donald "Captain Queege" Trump's sinking ship.

Edited by Joe Bauer

11 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

Pelosi and Schumer calling for a 25th or else they'll impeach. If they impeach and remove him he won't be able to run for office I believe.

As Mary Trump has said for one year. The problem is her Uncle "gets away" with these incredible crimes due to those in power threatening but never following through with standing up to Trump in any meaningful way. Yes, they got an impeachment hearing before, but the Republicans rejected it in total compliancy unison.

I don't think every Republican would do that again in a new Impeachment effort.

I am sure Trump thinks this will all just die down and go away. It's his insecurity fear protecting mental coping mechanism. 

Yet, even he must be losing sleep at the growing outrage in every area of our country and even internationally.

I think our leaders have drawn a line with this Trump incited chaos event.

It has embarrassed and disrespected us internationally more than any event in modern history.

ENOUGH!   This highly disturbed and great nation damaging man must leave or be relieved.

49 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

Pelosi and Schumer calling for a 25th or else they'll impeach. If they impeach and remove him he won't be able to run for office I believe.

Someone at the Democratic Underground reported that Pence refused to take a phone call from Schumer and Pelosi today.  Meanwhile, Andrea Mitchell allegedly reported that Trump has banned Pence from the White House.

This is looking more and more like a coup in progress.