The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

There are five dead now.

That woman should not have been shot. The chief of the DC police resigned today. He should have been fired and I hope he is brought up on charges.  That was the worst example  of policing and crowd control I have ever seen.

The woman was unarmed, defenseless.  Why those cops did not have rubber bullets, tear gas and flash grenades is beyond comprehension. A rubber bullet can break someone's arm. You want to stop someone not kill someone in that situation. Her husband has a good lawsuit.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Are Trump's cabinet heads resigning so they won't have to vote for his removal as per the 25th Amendment?

I will never believe they are leaving out of moral outrage over the Capital building seige.

1 hour ago, Pat Speer said:

My understanding is that the room she was about to enter was the house chamber and that there were dozens of reps still in the room at the time. 

I think some of those in the Capitol were drunk on the idea they'd reclaimed the house from the "deep state" and were just running around having fun, not realizing how their actions looked to the outside world. I mean, what was she gonna do once she got in the room? Have a quiet conversation with some elected officials?

Whatever she was doing, it wasn't protest. 

Yeah but they shouldn't have shot her. It's sad all because of the narcissist in chief.

43 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Are Trump's cabinet heads resigning so they won't have to vote for his removal as per the 25th Amendment?

Crossed my mind also.  How many cabinet secretaries and staffers would have bailed had the Capitol riot happened before the election, or while states still hadn't declared?

I've heard the Elaine Chao, resignation  is not active until the 11th. Apparently Pence has said he's not  going for the 25th amendment. But I suppose he could change his mind. The 25th would be preferable, because you could effectively de activate Trump from performing any additional doomsday deeds., and Pence would be the acting President.

Technically you don't have a Democrat majority in the Senate, until Georgia certifies the Senate elections which is due anytime between the 15th and the 22nd, which is of course too late.But they could do all the groundwork on it and force the Republicans to take one last public stand on the Trump Presidency.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Claims reported of Euro intelligence sources smelling an insider-organized coup.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/some-among-americas-military-allies-believe-trump-deliberately-attempted-a-coup-and-may-have-had-help-from-federal-law-enforcement-officials/ar-BB1cypbi?li=BBnbfcL

...Or a large-scale false flag and propaganda effort to destabilize the public?

Edited by David Andrews

51 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Claims reported of Euro intelligence sources smelling an insider-organized coup.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/some-among-americas-military-allies-believe-trump-deliberately-attempted-a-coup-and-may-have-had-help-from-federal-law-enforcement-officials/ar-BB1cypbi?li=BBnbfcL

...Or a large-scale false flag and propaganda effort to destabilize the public?

I've heard this too Dave! When the Congress was sequestered, Minority whip Steny Hoyer phoned Governor Larry Hogan of Maryland for him to activate the National Guard

• Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said Thursday that he tried to deploy his state's National Guard to assist in Washington, DC, but was thwarted.

• Hogan said he was "repeatedly" told he lacked the authorization to deploy the troops, The Washington Post reported.

• According to The New York Times, the decision to authorize National Guard deployments ultimately came from Vice President Mike Pence, marking an apparent break with the chain in command

• *******So Pence , who was also sequestered eventually overrode the chain in commend. Nobody's  pieced it together but in the news conference where Hogan reveals this, he then immediately turns around and asks for Trump's resignation!.

• So we have a collaborating confirmation of this. We'll see where it goes.

• o

https://news.yahoo.com/maryland-governor-tried-deploy-national-002546744.html

He screwed the country’: Trump loyalty disintegrates

By GABBY ORR, ANITA KUMAR and MERIDITH MCGRAW

01/06/2021

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/06/trump-loyalty-capitol-attack-455667

“Pence spokesperson Devin O'Malley said the vice president would return to the Senate chamber Wednesday night to resume the certification process, after congressional leaders announced plans to reconvene at 8 p.m.

"VP was in regular contact [with] House & Senate leadership, Cap Police, DOJ & DoD to facilitate efforts to secure the Capitol & reconvene Congress. And now we will finish the people's business," O'Malley wrote, notably omitting any contact between Pence and Trump.”

At a time of crisis, the President of the United States was nowhere to be found.

Steve Thomas

The polar vortex may be on its way

By Allison Chinchar, CNN meteorologist January 7, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/weather/polar-vortex-shifts-arctic-air-south/index.html

“The polar vortex appears to be on the move. That's because stratospheric warming is occurring at high altitudes above the North Pole, resulting in a spike in temperatures.

That, in turn, could result in bitter cold air pushing southward into the United States within a couple of weeks, though where exactly that Arctic air will swoop down -- and for how long -- remains uncertain.”

Oh, that's just f'ing great.

Steve Thomas

Another comparison to the 1930s rise of fascism.

from: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/08/trump-homegrown-fascism-inequality-poverty  :

Tens of millions of the precariat were already living in a de facto Great Depression before the pandemic, and many working-class jobs will not return in the short term – if ever. This widening disparity creates a level of rage among voters that inexplicably continues to evade Beltway journalists’ understanding.

It’s not that difficult to grasp meaning. Just look to the past. I’ve long been a student of the 1930s – fascism was on the rise in the US throughout the Great Depression. It’s something that never went away; it’s part of the American DNA. Many of the 74 million who voted for Donald J Trump in 2020 would be quite happy with authoritarian leadership. They aren’t going to vanish with the inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

In early 1939, a n a z i  rally at Madison Square Garden drew 20,000 people. The rising authoritarian movement was the subject of a 9,000-word 1940 Harper’s magazine article, The American Fascists, by Dale Kramer.

In the modern era, the Youngstown State labor studies professor John Russo recognized early that anger over the loss of good jobs was leading to a resurgence of fascism. When I interviewed him in 1995, he foresaw the emergence of a Trump-like figure. When I went through Ohio recently on my cross-country journey, John doubled down on his 1995 prediction; he feels that the threat from the far right will not abate. Trump lost “and the thing I say is, ‘So what?’ Right now we are at a tipping point in terms of what the American economy is going to look like, what the American social structures are going to look like,” Russo told me. “2024, that’s going to be the seminal election.”

Russo says there will be “contested terrain”, a fight between progressives and rightwing authoritarianism between now and 2024. If a smarter, more effective Trump comes along, he or she could eclipse the threat that Trump presented to American democracy.

Edited by Bill Fite

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

There are five dead now.

That woman should not have been shot. The chief of the DC police resigned today. He should have been fired and I hope he is brought up on charges.  That was the worst example  of policing and crowd control I have ever seen.

The woman was unarmed, defenseless.  Why those cops did not have rubber bullets, tear gas and flash grenades is beyond comprehension. A rubber bullet can break someone's arm. You want to stop someone not kill someone in that situation. Her husband has a good lawsuit.

The chief of Capitol Police resigned today, not the DC Metro Police chief.

5 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I've heard this too Dave! When the Congress was sequestered, Minority whip Steny Hoyer phoned Governor Larry Hogan of Maryland for him to activate the National Guard

• Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said Thursday that he tried to deploy his state's National Guard to assist in Washington, DC, but was thwarted.

• Hogan said he was "repeatedly" told he lacked the authorization to deploy the troops, The Washington Post reported.

• According to The New York Times, the decision to authorize National Guard deployments ultimately came from Vice President Mike Pence, marking an apparent break with the chain in command

• *******So Pence , who was also sequestered eventually overrode the chain in commend. Nobody's  pieced it together but in the news conference where Hogan reveals this, he then immediately turns around and asks for Trump's resignation!.

• So we have a collaborating confirmation of this. We'll see where it goes.

• o

https://news.yahoo.com/maryland-governor-tried-deploy-national-002546744.html

Ah, boyo, it's like the days of fightin' Dick Cheney have returned.

A blocked attempt to transfer power to Mike Pence?

I mean, really - what kind of country does this stuff for fun?

We  can't leave Trump alone to plot and scheme.

We have to put him on the defensive.

We can't sit around and wait to see what he is going to do next.

Whether it's someone showing up and his office with an arrest warrant, or filing new Articles of Impeachment, or whatever.

We have to make him react to us and not the other way around. He needs to be hounded and harried from pillar to post and not give him time to lay his own plans.

Steve Thomas

My lifetime experience tells me that most of the people I have ever personally known who voluntarily chose to go into police, security, prison guard and national guard fields were much more right wing types than liberal or even moderately liberal in their political and even morality mindsets.

Most enlisted military service people who stay in more than the basic 4 year commitment, same thing.

I'll guarantee you that the huge majority of agency people are this way as well, and if registered with any political party, they are registered as Republican.

Hence,  it's logical and very possible in my mind, that a good number of security people all over the country and in DC are more aligned with the Trump base mind set and would be more sympathetic to their worked up, Trump conspiracy believing cause versus a democratic party liberal one.

The fact that some of the security people in the Capital building were actually participating in selfie photo ops with these crazy intruders bolsters the possibility that some may have been in on the sketchy resistance break- in event, again imo.

Watched Trump's stiff, muted and even robotic speaking speech yesterday where he weakly conceded defeat and called for a peaceful transition.

You could so easily tell he was reading these teleprompter lines ( totally written by his damage control team ) with inner disdain and reluctance.

Trump was obviously told ( frantically ) that his standing as president is on the brink of removal and that he had better get in front of the national media cameras and at least try to convey some message other than enraging his base with claims of Democratic Party fraud and injustice directed at Trump and his base with a stealing of the presidency message versus a legitimate and honest election loss.

Trump didn't mean or believe a word he said in that short, weakly toned and spoken contrived content speech, imo.

It was strictly a desperate damage control speaking event created by his desperate damage control people. No one besides Trump's most die hard base believed a word he said in it. And you could see and feel that the squinty eyed, tight lipped, stiff jawed Trump didn't either.

Edited by Joe Bauer