The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

3 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

Another comparison to the 1930s rise of fascism.

from: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/08/trump-homegrown-fascism-inequality-poverty  :

Tens of millions of the precariat were already living in a de facto Great Depression before the pandemic, and many working-class jobs will not return in the short term – if ever. This widening disparity creates a level of rage among voters that inexplicably continues to evade Beltway journalists’ understanding.

It’s not that difficult to grasp meaning. Just look to the past. I’ve long been a student of the 1930s – fascism was on the rise in the US throughout the Great Depression. It’s something that never went away; it’s part of the American DNA. Many of the 74 million who voted for Donald J Trump in 2020 would be quite happy with authoritarian leadership. They aren’t going to vanish with the inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

In early 1939, a n a z i  rally at Madison Square Garden drew 20,000 people. The rising authoritarian movement was the subject of a 9,000-word 1940 Harper’s magazine article, The American Fascists, by Dale Kramer.

In the modern era, the Youngstown State labor studies professor John Russo recognized early that anger over the loss of good jobs was leading to a resurgence of fascism. When I interviewed him in 1995, he foresaw the emergence of a Trump-like figure. When I went through Ohio recently on my cross-country journey, John doubled down on his 1995 prediction; he feels that the threat from the far right will not abate. Trump lost “and the thing I say is, ‘So what?’ Right now we are at a tipping point in terms of what the American economy is going to look like, what the American social structures are going to look like,” Russo told me. “2024, that’s going to be the seminal election.”

Russo says there will be “contested terrain”, a fight between progressives and rightwing authoritarianism between now and 2024. If a smarter, more effective Trump comes along, he or she could eclipse the threat that Trump presented to American democracy.

Extremely coherent assessment and likely scenario for the following next years.

Our government leaders are seriously oblivious to how close to absolute financial collapse and bankruptcy tens and tens of millions of Americans and their families are...right now!

Just in my family alone, two of us three have lost their jobs due to the Covid and are living on 35% of their previous take home pay and this unemployment income will be gone in just a few more months to boot!

This is real world REALITY!

Right now...today.

For perhaps 1/4th "or even more" of our entire citizenry!

And these lost jobs and the incomes from them...are not coming back!

An honest true reality message to our federal and state goverment leaders... 

WAKE UP!   

We ( 30 to 40% of the country ) are on the brink ( no, we are there!) of true, serious, family destroying financial collapse!

Like Democratic presidential primary candidate Andrew Yang strongly and seriously proposed...we are going to have to initiate a basic income monthly subsidy to all stressed Americans, until this devastation can be addressed and overcome which will take years.

Otherwise, like poster Bill Fite says, we are guaranteed civil unrest with fascist sentiments growing out of anger, fear and deep frustration.

If Germany and most of the German people hadn't been so devastatingly stressed and even crushed economically after WW I and into the thirties, the attraction to Hitler and his promises to bring them out of their dispiriting and humiliating plight wouldn't have been so appealing. And the more Hitler got Germany's economy and job situation improving, the more Germans fell under his spell. 

Trump has constantly used this same ( I will improve your lives economically and I get things done and keep my promises ) Hitler type appeal format. And most of Trump's blindly loyal spell bound followers still proclaim him as their savior in this way.

Trump's signature propaganda sound bite..."Make America Great Again" perfectly matches Hitler's "Make Germany Great Again" political gain and control game plan and agenda.

Edited by Joe Bauer

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Opening paragraphs from the lead article in today's New York Times:

"Six days before a raucous rally of President Trump’s supporters in Washington, Representative Maxine Waters anxiously grilled the chief of the Capitol Police about his preparations for various scenarios: Were the rooftops secured? Would streets be blocked off? Did he know that violent groups like the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers were vowing to stir up chaos?

"Ms. Waters, a California Democrat, said each of her concerns was met with a similar response from Chief Steven Sund during their hourlong call: “He assured me that they have everything under control, that they were on top of everything.”

On Morning Joe today there were revelations that the Defense Department, Department of Justice, and Homeland Security offered the Capitol Police and the mayor of the District of Columbia ample law enforcement personnel  in advance of the march on Washington. The Chief of the Capitol Police and the mayor turned down the offers. They claim now that they did so because the FBI advised them  that there was nothing to show alarm. As it turned out for weeks Facebook and other media sites carried talk of planned attack.

So our intelligence agencies were asleep for a year while the Russians cyber-hacked on national security networks and again when domestic terrorists were openly planning an attack on the Capitol.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

AOh14Gg4_EDds6VmFuTpx8pXBZSpkBnznfoKidJo
CNN

Former White House communications director Alyssa Farah said Friday that President Donald Trump lied to the American people ...

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

We  can't leave Trump alone to plot and scheme.

We have to put him on the defensive.

We can't sit around and wait to see what he is going to do next.

Whether it's someone showing up and his office with an arrest warrant, or filing new Articles of Impeachment, or whatever.

We have to make him react to us and not the other way around. He needs to be hounded and harried from pillar to post and not give him time to lay his own plans.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

This is exactly right.  Sociopaths like Donald Trump only respond to the threat of external consequences for their sociopathic conduct.

Trump is like a wife beater when the cops arrive at the door.

He only pretended to concede when his advisors warned him that he might be removed from office.

Mary Trump hit this nail on the head, again, today.

Mary Trump To Lawmakers: Ignore ‘Performative’ Trump Speech, He Must Be Impeached

“There was not any truth in it at all, and if you listen carefully, he doesn’t actually concede the election.”

24 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Trump is like a wife beater when the cops arrive at the door.

He only pretended to concede when his advisors warned him that he might be removed from office.

This reported about Trump's weak speech yesterday... But the statement was late, and it came after "intervention from his daughter, Ivanka" according to one current White House official.

Trump had to be coaxed into giving this speech by his own daughter? He wasn't going to do this of his own volition?  Egads.

Ivanka must have told him something like...Daddy, we are all about to kicked out of office!   And we will go into the history books as the most screwed up Presidential family ever!

Please, get your "Pu$$y Grabbing A$$ out there and stop this madness!

Mary Trump hit this nail on the head, again, today.

Mary Trump To Lawmakers: Ignore ‘Performative’ Trump Speech, He Must Be Impeached

“There was not any truth in it at all, and if you listen carefully, he doesn’t actually concede the election.”

Edited by Joe Bauer

From a 1/6/2021 Newsweek article:

The Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf is actually in the Middle East, evidently not thinking that the threat was severe enough for him to be in Washington.

The DHS has been indiscriminate in using its law enforcement arms, now the largest in the federal government—Secret Service agents, ICE, Customs and Border Protection, Homeland Security Investigations, Federal Air Marshals and even the Federal Protective Service—to intervene over the past year when protests didn't involve pro-Trump, right wing mobs. The Capitol Police did come out in force when Black Lives Matter and Antifa approached Capitol Hill last summer.

FBI sources told Newsweek that the Bureau was closely watching the various protestors converging on the city, that the Department of Justice was taking the law enforcement lead no matter what other agencies of the government were doing, and that the Bureau had a good sense of the protestors, the size of the crowd, the leaders, and the dangers. The intelligence apparently did not anticipate what the news media was openly speculating about and what the president and his supporters were publicly tweeting.

The District of Columbia government was the only prepared and ready force on Wednesday. Mayor Muriel Bowser activated 340 District National Guardsmen and women before Wednesday. In keeping with a desire not to use soldiers to enforce the law, she kept them unarmed and assigned them to traffic control and other duties to relieve more police officers of the Metropolitan Police Department—3,800 strong, the sixth largest municipal police department in the nation—to enforce the laws.

Joe Manchin never disappoints:

Manchin says he will "absolutely not" support $2,000 stimulus checks as first priority

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/senate/533355-manchin-on-proposed-round-of-2k-checks-absolutely-not%3famp

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Steve,

This is exactly right.  Sociopaths like Donald Trump only respond to the threat of external consequences for their sociopathic conduct.

W.,

It struck me earlier today that on Wednesday, the Legislative Branch of our Government and the Vice President of the U.S. were gathered in one place at the same time.

The Legislative Branch, who would handle any moves to impeach Trump; and the Vice President, who would be in charge of any moves to invoke the 25th Amendment.

With those two bodies out of the way, there would have been no one to stop Trump from completely taking over the government.

Several weeks ago, Trump fired the head of the Pentagon and several other high-ranking members of the Pentagon and replaced them with flunkies who were uniquely unqualified. At the time, no one could figure out why. When the Capitol was being overrun and desperate calls went out to the Pentagon to send in the DC National Guard, those calls were ignored. Now, I think we know why.

I think Wednesday had been planned for a long time.

That's why we can't afford to leave Trump in office one more day.

As one person put it, Congress has to treat Trump's removal as a life-threatening visit to the emergency room, and not as a visit to the doctor's office for a routine checkup.

Pelosi has already spoken to General Milley about ignoring any orders from Trump for a nuclear strike anywhere in the world. Michael Cohen said that he expects Trump to set fire to the White House.

Things are serious.

Steve Thomas

General John Kelly said today he would vote for Trump's removal under the 25th amendment if he were still Trump's Chief Of Staff.

Click on the 4 cartoon picture, then when the larger picture comes up, click on the arrows to the right of each cartoon.

Political cartoonView Gallery

CARTOON CAROUSEL

The nation’s cartoonists on the week in politics

By POLITICO STAFF

01/08/2021 04:30 AM EST

Edited by Joe Bauer

He will be  with the Proud Boys.