• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

The philosophical issue is evident, though, if we think about the problem in terms of an individual's right to refuse medical treatment-- e.g., vaccination.   

I suspect that most of us in the U.S. would disagree with forcing "competent" adults to get a vaccine against their will.   It's the age old conflict between libertarianism and utilitarianism-- individual rights vs. optimizing the public good.

The same philosophical issue is at the heart of our gun control controversy.

Personally, I believe that our libertarian gun laws in the U.S. are insane, from a "public health" standpoint, but we live in a culture, and a legal system, that prizes individual, libertarian rights.

Oh I know YOU can make an argument about libertarian this and libertarian that but the vast majority of these people just parrot idiots they find somewhere to validate whatever they're puking out. Some just don't even care. Many couldn't find their own ass with a map and flashlight. I for one have a spouse that doesn't get to use her "rights" or "libertarian ideals" to throw these f*ing chumps out on the street when they show up at the hospital. She has to treat them regardless of their carelessness or stupid attitudes about masks or whatever. 

1 hour ago, Bob Ness said:

Oh I know YOU can make an argument about libertarian this and libertarian that but the vast majority of these people just parrot idiots they find somewhere to validate whatever they're puking out. Some just don't even care. Many couldn't find their own ass with a map and flashlight. I for one have a spouse that doesn't get to use her "rights" or "libertarian ideals" to throw these f*ing chumps out on the street when they show up at the hospital. She has to treat them regardless of their carelessness or stupid attitudes about masks or whatever. 

I share her frustration.  It's an issue that Dr. Fauci was getting at in his recent public statements about the way that opposition to rational public health interventions got "politicized" in 2020, in a manner that contributed directly to our high COVID mortality rates in the U.S.

The same "libertarian" ideology has played a major role in our high gun-related homicide rates in the U.S.

That darned Hippocratic Oath.  They should be able to ask on entry to the hospital, did you wear a mask in public?  If the answer is no, sorry, we can't help you.

Being sarcastic, playing the devil's advocate (maybe literally).

I just had my second shot yesterday.  I was still in the process of pulling up my short sleeve when the EMS guy said he was done.  He stuck me and had a bandaid on me and I didn't feel a thing.  Maybe we can vaccinate these morons in their sleep.  You know, a deep state conspiracy of sorts.

My reaction was exactly the same Paul, the most painless shot I've ever taken! But I didn't really look, and it was over! Do you think this could all be a big charade that the whole nation got sucked into?   ha ha ha

My first moderna shot a month ago was quick and painless. I had my second moderna shot a week ago, and particularly moderna I had heard packs quite a wallop, with  any one of a few symptoms up to chills for a 24 hour period. I experienced no specific symptoms but I did feel under the weather the next day. I would compare it to feeling like you're about to come on to a  flu, that never really happens. A day later I'm fine. Just my experience.

Just to give you my overall experience. I don't take flu shots every year. But I've taken a pretty fair amount of vaccinations in my life and I've never had a worse reaction than a little muscle soreness. But I've been blessed with good health and a good immune system, not to say you couldn't have good health and have a bad reaction.

And of course, it's true is that you won't be able to sue anybody for a bad vaccine reaction. It's been done very quickly because it's a worldwide pandemic emergency. There's always risk in life.  If some argue that some drugs with some efficacy that were cheaper were ignored, that night be true. Then get on your government for overpaying, but for you, the vaccine is free!

My guess is that they're not going to force you to take the vaccine any more than they're going to take your guns away. But keep away from me! If countries require to see your vaccination card to travel to a foreign country, I don't see that as an infringement at all. That's a country's right. And if you come from somewhere with some weird  strain, I don't want your filthy untested ass in my country.

There is some prudence in waiting to see if there is going to be a good degree of adverse reaction. Obviously we can't wait for years. I've heard there's a lot of adverse reactions within 6 months. The testing, I believe has been going on for at least 9 months, and there have been a lot returns that have come in now. Some of us aren't able to get it right away. So that gives some of us a little more time to judge. But it's a complete illusion to think you're going to "know' with utter certainty.

Hearing Cliff talk about so many injections in his childhood. If ever there's a case for fear taking the vaccine, he has it, but he has taken it. I'm on an expat forum of people largely from the U.S. Canada  and Europe who are living in foreign countries. Some of these people are in their late 70's even 80's and are in failing health. In some cases I've heard reservations to take the vaccine because they've been surprised that the isolation that they've had to endure over the last year was not near as hard as they had anticipated, because they're reaching a station in their lives where there will naturally be more seclusion and fewer contacts.

I'd ask anybody here who has not had an adverse reaction to some vaccination in the past. Why would now be any different? What's holding you up? Hopefully not some silly theory that this is all a big conspiracy involving Bill Gates and Faucci and George Soros that your peer group have given themselves over to? ( and their aim is to what ?"chip"you or corner the world money supply?") Or any number of other theories. Or reading some life changing article or watching some life changing video? I've certainly seen here where people cling to books that reinforce their previous theories to the point that it's caused me to ask how substantiated a theory is it really?

If these theories make you go counter to your life experience, without any outside real evidence, then you're not thinking for yourself.
No you're not thinking for yourself!
heh heh

To those I would say, Stop being afraid of your  peer groups response, or what you may have authoritively told your friends, just do it! If that night, you're feeling tired, headachey and slow, bear it in silence and suck it up!

People on both the right and left, are getting hep to the tyranny of the last 40 years of the financial elites and their marginalizing of the middle classes. Why do you think it is they've been paying big money to cut in line for a vaccination? Because they're stupid?? And you're smart? That's music to their ears!----Fooled again!
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
My reaction was exactly the same Paul, the most painless shot I've ever taken! 

Kirk,

I decided that my first shot nurse hates men.

She was ever so gentle with my wife, but when she turned to me, she just jabbed it in like Sheena, Queen of the Jungle. She didn't go in square with my bicep, she went in sideways and hit my rotator cuff. I bled like a stuck pig.

My second shot went in as painless as yours. (in my other arm of course).

😀

Steve Thomas

On 3/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, Ron Bulman said:

That darned Hippocratic Oath.  They should be able to ask on entry to the hospital, did you wear a mask in public?  If the answer is no, sorry, we can't help you.

Being sarcastic, playing the devil's advocate (maybe literally).

Tempting for sure.

Hey that's an idea!  Since we know now that Trump and Melania were secretly vaccinated. Trump can now come out and Let the Word Go Forth to all who would hear his call to vaccinate. What do you think?

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

FBI facing allegation that its 2018 background check of Brett Kavanaugh was ‘fake’

A Democratic senator has asked attorney general Merrick Garland to facilitate ‘proper oversight’ into concerns on the investigation

FBI facing allegation that its 2018 background check of Brett Kavanaugh was ‘fake’ | Brett Kavanaugh | The Guardian